Pre-determined Story

Zer0

Haiku Hitman
Would role players be interested in playing in a campaign where the major story parts are already in place, including the end? For example:

Modern fantasy, players are part of a secret government branch that deals with the paranormal. They have supernatural powers, they may even be vampires and werewolves, or telepaths, or characters from Hellboy whose origins can be traced back to the other world.

Chapter 1

Lonely Bus drive at night. First encounter. Bus breaks down in the dark. Huge claw rips out driver from the side window.

Chapter 2

Back in HQ, more reports of paranormal activity. Players learn that it's the season when the divide between our world and the paranormal word weakens. A one-year event that occurs every 500 years. Enter main bad guy whose aim is to create a permanent portal between two worlds so that he can conquer this world too.

Chapter 3

The search for the portal location starts. Some missions in the supernatural underworld here and there and finally they locate the portal.

Chapter 4

Portal is finished in a city, the monster army starts pouring in. The players are in the battle. The government decides to launch a nuke. Players must close the portal or else thousands of innocents including themselves will die.

Chapter 5

The end. Determined by the result of chapter 4 which is likely a success.

Like that? Would players be interested in a story like this? Where I place the chapters in the overview?

I think it'd be better if the players didn't necessarily know what was going to happen, but you did. That way you could control the speed of everything and keep the players on edge and wanting to know what comes next.

But players get bored when waiting for too long. Me too in other RPs where I'm not the GM.

I was getting bored with this one RP, but then the GM said that she wouldn't be able to reply but gave us the plot points for this week and left it to us. After that I became alive again and I'm going to post the first battle, which is what I need for me to stay in the RP.

My simple solution then would be to not let it move too slowly. If you anticipate you won't be able to post fast enough then perhaps assign a co-Gm that can help out in your absences. I understand if you don't agree but it's just how I enjoy things. I personally would rather be left on edge and in suspense than know exactly what was going to happen.

MrMister said:
My simple solution then would be to not let it move too slowly. If you anticipate you won't be able to post fast enough then perhaps assign a co-Gm that can help out in your absences. I understand if you don't agree but it's just how I enjoy things. I personally would rather be left on edge and in suspense than know exactly what was going to happen.
Okay. Thanks for your opinion. Do most of the players you know think the way you do?

I know for me most of the people I play against dont want to know what's going on. Some because they prefer to make it up as,they go, but others because they would start anticipating things that would happen. Like in chapter 1 there character out of the blue would start talking about what us going on in chapter 5.

It can be done though but be aware it might take a while to find the right group.

I would say tell them at the beginning the roleplay is plotted out but don't show them all the chapters.

As @MrMister said showing the whole story before you even start kind of takes away the suspense if I know my character is going to win and how then why bother making the character. I already know what's going to happen so I have no incentive to try to work on things by myself.

Instead show a few chapters ahead and just as the roleplay progresses monitor how everyone interacts. See if they are sticking to the chapters or going their own way.

But yeah I wouldn't put it all out from the beginning because we'll you already have the story then what do you really need other roleplayer for?

readingraebow said:
I know for me most of the people I play against dont want to know what's going on. Some because they prefer to make it up as,they go, but others because they would start anticipating things that would happen. Like in chapter 1 there character out of the blue would start talking about what us going on in chapter 5.
Good point here.

I like stories that have an end, and rps where the plot is planned out, but I would prefer not to know about it in the overview. What you can do is make it clear to the rpers that you have a set plot which you won't reveal until the end, either in the occ, or by dropping hints of action/foreshadowing as the rp progresses. Mention the 5 chapters and their titles, but don't mention the contents. Though, there's really no need to reveal to rpers that everything you have is set in stone.

Who knows? As the story progresses, maybe the set end will change. Maybe a character will do something that makes certain events impossible to accomplish or less relevant. It's up to the gm how they want to carry the rp, but in my opinion, the best gm is an interactive one:)

readingraebow said:
It can be done though but be aware it might take a while to find the right group.

I would say tell them at the beginning the roleplay is plotted out but don't show them all the chapters.

As @MrMister said showing the whole story before you even start kind of takes away the suspense if I know my character is going to win and how then why bother making the character. I already know what's going to happen so I have no incentive to try to work on things by myself.

Instead show a few chapters ahead and just as the roleplay progresses monitor how everyone interacts. See if they are sticking to the chapters or going their own way.

But yeah I wouldn't put it all out from the beginning because we'll you already have the story then what do you really need other roleplayer for?
Maybe role players would want to play 'how' they achieved the end and wouldn't mind knowing the end? Like 'how' they do it would be the incentive?

QuirkyAngel said:
I like stories that have an end, and rps where the plot is planned out, but I would prefer not to know about it in the overview. What you can do is make it clear to the rpers that you have a set plot which you won't reveal until the end, either in the occ, or by dropping hints of action/foreshadowing as the rp progresses. Mention the 5 chapters and their titles, but don't mention the contents. Though, there's really no need to reveal to rpers that everything you have is set in stone.
Who knows? As the story progresses, maybe the set end will change. Maybe a character will do something that makes certain events impossible to accomplish or less relevant. It's up to the gm how they want to carry the rp, but in my opinion, the best gm is an interactive one:)
Interactive, meaning one who adapts to the actions of the players?

It's great to have a plot in mind. It's great to have half a dozen plots in mind... but you should never be set on the ending. The ending will always, like it or not, be determined by the players... as a GM once in a while it wraps up how I expect, or how I like, but the rest of the time... I generally have to step back and let them decide how to end the story.

Beckoncall said:
It's great to have a plot in mind. It's great to have half a dozen plots in mind... but you should never be set on the ending. The ending will always, like it or not, be determined by the players... as a GM once in a while it wraps up how I expect, or how I like, but the rest of the time... I generally have to step back and let them decide how to end the story.
Yeah. But the main reason why I'm showing the plots is so that people won't leave the RP. So that they won't think that this current lull in the campaign is forever and that exciting parts are still to come.

I think that if your interested in keeping people motivated telling them the whole story right off the bat isn't the way to go.

Think of it like doing a joint project for school. Say yo have to do a paper on rocks. And your partner is really into it, they do all the research, type up the entire player, put in citations, make up flash cards for the speech. And in the end all you have to do is maybe find three pictures and just read their flash cards.

Are you going to be in any way invested in this project? No because it's not your project it's the other persons.

By giving out the entire plot in one go your telling people that it's your story alone and their input will be minimal.

Instead ask people about their posting schedules tell them that they must post a certain amount of times a week or be kicked out.

If things start getting slow in character time skip to the next chapter. But I wouldn't show more than two to three chapters ahead.

That way people can still be interested in seeing where the story goes rather than be like. Oh well this is going to happen whether I'm here or not so why bother posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
DON'T RUIN THE STORY. You can tell people you are going someplace with everything and they'll trust you or they won't. In the meantime between A and B -- keep things exciting. Leave a couple questions unanswered... keep the drama, friction and inter-player dynamics going. If your passengers are enjoying the ride, they're not thinking of the destination.

readingraebow said:
I think that if your interested in keeping people motivated telling them the whole story right off the bat isn't the way to go.
Think of it like doing a joint project for school. Say yo have to do a paper on rocks. And your partner is really into it, they do all the research, type up the entire player, put in citations, make up flash cards for the speech. And in the end all you have to do is maybe find three pictures and just read their flash cards.

Are you going to be in any way invested in this project? No because it's not your project it's the other persons.

By giving out the entire plot in one go your telling people that it's your story alone and their input will be minimal.

Instead ask people about their posting schedules tell them that they must post a certain amount of times a week or be kicked out.

If things start getting slow in character time skip to the next chapter. But I wouldn't show more than two to three chapters ahead.

That way people can still be interested in seeing where the story goes rather than be like. Oh well this is going to happen whether I'm here or not so why bother posting.
Really? People will feel that way?

Beckoncall said:
DON'T RUIN THE STORY. You can tell people you are going someplace with everything and they'll trust you or they won't. In the meantime between A and B -- keep things exciting. Leave a couple questions unanswered... keep the drama, friction and inter-player dynamics going. If your passengers are enjoying the ride, they're not thinking of the destination.
So showing the plot this way isn't the best way to keep people in my RP.

Zer0 said:
Interactive, meaning one who adapts to the actions of the players?
Yep. People like it when their character's actions get responded to, so they don't feel ignored. It's fine to have a set plot, but don't make it feel forced.

QuirkyAngel said:
Yep. People like it when their character's actions get responded to, so they don't feel ignored. It's fine to have a set plot, but don't make it feel forced.
Okay. Do you know of a good GM who has a running RP that I could ask for advice or observe?

@Zer0 yes as the others have said players want to feel like they are important to the story.

I suggest looking at Casual - AEGIS: Training Facility 108

@welian has done a great job keeping it running and keeping people contributing and excited.

Although I would ask if your looking for a mentor.

In fact I would make a new thread specifically for a GM mentor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm also going to post a new thread to find more of these GMs. I know there are really talented GMs here, but I can't 'see' them clearly among all the threads.

readingraebow said:
@Zer0 yes as the others have said players want to feel like they are important to the story.
I suggest looking at Casual - AEGIS: Training Facility 108

@welian has done a great job keeping it running and keeping people contributing and excited.

Although I would ask if your looking for a mentor.

In fact I would make a new thread specifically for a GM mentor.
I will. Thank you. Are GM Mentors common in RP Nation, or will people think it's tiring?

The reason I think many players may disfavor seeing the story arc is because it removes AGENCY from the players -- if the "City of Ur" is going to burn in your story no matter what in chapter 4... does it matter if they hurry to tell anyone? What if one or more players REALLY wants to save Ur... do you take away their ability to try or if they do try to succeed? This is called "The railroad" and it's one of the main things good GMs watch out for.

If you want to see an example of an RPG that is currently thriving, has lots of player agency, and a backstory that lays out how some of the story will go with the end still GREATLY in question... check out my Fantasy Nation Builder: "Lost Continent - Flight from Muurdaan"... I'd be happy to field questions from you, because I've GMed for longer than I'd often admit. Like anything else its a craft, and getting help when you start out can make a big difference with where you wind up! <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back