Population Statistics of Creation's Cities

Skeptic Tank

Do we have any concrete population statistics for individual cities of Creation (specifically the South)?

Barring that, do we have any good estimates?

I'm re-starting an older campaign, with three Solars who have taken over Gem. Gem underwent some... light... armegeddon, and has had a population reduction, which will hamper reconstruction. But to make a good decision about what the current population should be, I should have a good idea of what it was before, eh?

Chiaroscuro is stated to have within the city and its surrounding tributaries a population of one million.

I don't have any fast way to access this information, but I'm almost sure the South book(s) have this data.

Do we have any concrete population statistics for individual cities of Creation (specifically the South)?
Barring that, do we have any good estimates?

I'm re-starting an older campaign, with three Solars who have taken over Gem. Gem underwent some... light... armegeddon, and has had a population reduction, which will hamper reconstruction. But to make a good decision about what the current population should be, I should have a good idea of what it was before, eh?
Scavenger Sons gives population of Gem, Paragon, and Chiar-I-can't-spell-it as "over a million"

Chiaroscuro is stated to have within the city and its surrounding tributaries a population of one million.
Decurion said:
Scavenger Sons gives population of Gem, Paragon, and Chiar-I-can't-spell-it as "over a million"
^.^

It's interesting that my only change so far on the unofficial Exalted Wiki was correcting a Chiaroscuro word that I found by tipping is misspelled on the search.

I'm sorry to ask, but I got curious. Exactly why do you need this info?

Arthur said:
Exactly why do you need this info?
After the light apocalypse in Gem, there was much destruction, and the Solars seized that opportunity to seize power (diceless action for the Solar archer to put an arrow in the Despot's chest at point-blank range). They rule it openly as Solars, and have been gathering together other Exalted there as sort of a safe-haven from the Realm. Now the Lap has gotten wind, and is shutting off the food supply.

I was estimating that about 2/5s of the original population had surivived. Given how, ecologically speaking, Gem is basically in the armpit of the world, I was estimating that this would put them around 20,000 - 30,000 people. Not nearly large enough to muster with an army to march to the Lap, but small enough that their stop-gap solutions to provide food can give them a stable base-of-operations.

Now, with the previous information, 2/5 of the population becomes 400,000 people. They can have an army if they want it, but feeding them all has become a -much- larger priority, and thus the next leg of their campaign will be dedicated to solving this problem.

I think the Gem population listing is a little off. Because in Scavenger Lands they say that Nexus is one of the most populated cities and it is at a million. Gem is not as big as Nexus.

Yes, but in the scavenger lands, you're not generally at threat of dying within a day or two if you happen to be outside of a city unprepared.. I'd personally think it was quite possible for a hell of a lot more people to be crammed in Gem, it's one of the few places for people to be that far south. There are probably tons of farmsteads and such near Nexus

Why do you really need the army, anyways? If you've got solars that can take over that area and cause a "light apacolypse," then you've probably got it covered. Maybe if you trained a cadre of volunteers to superelite status and armed them with some nifty 2nd edition weaponry/armor, you'd do even better than having to field a large, hungry army that has to march all the way to the lap.

Just a thought.

Celestial Exalted tend not to stay put for too long until they feel everything is under control......Motivations have something to do with it too.

I double checked on Scavenger's Son. It says:

Code:
The South thrives on trade, especially the lucrative commerce
in gemstones, fi redust, drugs and slaves, which centers in
the cities of Gem, Paragon and Chiaroscuro. These metropolises,
the three largest cities in the South, each support a million or
more residents, nearly all of whom depend in some way on trade
for their livelihood.

So I would say more or less a million is the correct figure for Gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back