Play by Posts and stunts.

The Wyld

I've recently started my first Lunar Exalted game on RPol but I've run into a problem with Stunts. The usual guidelines for stunts are for the tabletop and don't seem to fit as well with posting.

Does anybody here have their own set of guidelines on stunting that they use in PbP?

Last time I ran a pbp, I did stunt bonuses after the post. Willpower or motes awarded as usual, but, since it was post-roll, I'd award auto-successes. However, since, usually, in pbp games, posts are alot longer, I was a little stricter on what counts as a stunt, even 1 die stunts, when, comparitively, in real-time games, I hand out 1 dicers like candy.

In my current PBP game, the DM, and the other players and I also keep in touch by IM, and there is the ability to edit posts. So we typically either IM the DM with our stunt attempt, or declare an attempt to stunt, then fill in the actual dice rolling after we're told how many dice (if any) we get.

This also helps in circumstances where the DM needs to adjudicate rules, such as telling us that we need to add a dash action to the start of our flurry if our stunt includes charging the foe who is outside our normal movement range, or to dictate a flurry to swim if we're in water, etc, and a player forgets this fact.

The main medium is still the board, but these techniques are usually used to aid combat, and only require the DM and a player to be on at the same time, rather than everyone having to be on at the same time, like you would need to run a chat-based campaign.

We're doing Exalted pbp on wave.google.com and I've run into the same thing, though editing is fairly simple. It seems a one sentence minimum is necessary just to declare your action. Our writer friend wants everyone to use "narrative format" which requires more effort, so I suppose that's a 1-die stunt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back