Performance Charms vs. MDVs

Thenlar

When using certain Solar performance charms against enemies, how is the MDV counted?

Specifically, Heart-Compelling Method and Husband-Seducing Demon Dance (which are what my character has). HCM says "if their MDV is less than the extra successes on the roll" and HSDD says "Characters with Mental DV less than the Solar's successes" are necessary for the charms to work.

My ST decided that this means my remaining successes after their DVs are already subtracted. So effectively, I have to roll double their MDV in order for my charms to work.

I think otherwise. The charms are not supplementing actual Social Combat attacks. Since they are not part of normal Social Combat attacks, the mechanic for use of the charm is simply, roll Cha + Performance, beat MDV, apply Charm effects.

Opinions?

You're right. Your ST is not. They just were saying you needed to beat their MDV, nothing more. Otherwise, well, the charms are useless against anything other than extras. Already it's essentially a necessity to combo them with an Excellency (2nd is usually best), if you want to make much use of them...even if your target isn't activelly using charms to defend, since Dodge MDVs tend to be rather high in the first place.

Cattle prod?

Core book?

Chains to keep him from running off?

Lets get to work.

(Oh, and I agree with Kajiri)

Agree with the other 2, if anything then it should be that Heart-Compelling Method implies that there are an initiate diff to 'hit' the targets - like you need 2 successes in other to make your Performance action right. But it is a bit strange wording and should be disregarded as babble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back