Perfect (Ambria and Jeccka)

Ambria

Perfect was the word used to describe her life- their life. Everything about them seemed to follow suit, such as: finances; how they appeared to their friends and family; the smiles used to hide most fear, or any thought about what happened to them all at home . . . perfect.

Soft hazel eyes caught the glimpse of Henry out of the corner of her eyes. Another fight. The fight had not been simple, it hadn't even been remotely better than the last one they had encountered, but maybe he was calmed down again. Hopefully he was calmed again. Jacky didn't want to stand up and face him, so she just kept quiet and staid at her spot on the plush bedding. Her fingers interlocked with each other in her lap as she tried to think of something to say to him. However, the only thing that crossed her mind was: 'I'm sorry'. This time it was her fault. She threatened to leave if he didn't change, and he came. . . unglued.

Finally, after a few more bitter moments, she came out with it and whispered her 'I'm sorry' and stood up. If only the words came to her that easily. . . If she could only just tell him what she meant. If she could just give an explanation to her words, the ones that caused this whole mess.

However, by the time she stood up she could hear Michael, their five year old, bawling in his room. Jacky knew he had probably had a nightmare, or heard them shouting at each other. . . hopefully the lesser of the two. Jacky turned to walk out of the door, so she could go make sure Michael was alright. She turned the handle and pulled the door open and walked out. And there, in the hallway was Michael crying with his blanket in his arms, his dark brown eyes red from all the crying.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Jacky walked over to him, before she knelt down to be eye level with him, and to wipe away the tears with her loving finger tips. "Did you have a nightmare?" She asked softly as she picked him up and carried him back to his room, which wasn't but a few doors down from their room.

Michael nodded softly as he hurried his head into his mothers shoulder, making no more sounds other than a quiet "Mmmhmm." answer to his mothers question.

Jacky smiled softly as she sat him down in his bed, but he didn't want to be there and made it apparent. He wanted his father to let him sleep in their room, in between them in their bed. He was scared to sleep there, but Jacky remembered that Henry didn't care for that, he always told her Michael needed to learn that he can't get everything he wanted just by pouting. Funny, it seemed his father did the same thing to get what he wanted. "Oh, alright. But you're gonna have to go ask daddy first. If he says its alright, then I don't mind." Jacky sighed, giving in as she watched the little boy get up and run to his father, where he wrapped his little arms around his legs. This could be good for them, they never fought around Michael.

"Daddy?" The little boy looked up at him with a small pout on his face, maybe to give Hendry a little more motivation. "Can I stay with you and mommy tonight? I had a bad d-dream and don't wanna sleep in my room all alone." He shuddered softly on the word as he tried so hard to speak fluently, but lets face it, Michael was five.

Henry stood with his back to his wife who was sitting on the edge of their bed, her hands folded neatly in her lap as she did every time he was angry with her. Jacky always seemed to mock him, sitting there daintily, just waiting for him to explode so she shake it off her back as though it didn't matter. Her weak mutter only made him want to scream out more. If she was really sorry, she wouldn't have threatened to leave.

From the room down the hall he could hear the incessant crying of his five year-old son, Michael. The kid needed to grow up, to stop being such a constant burden. Michael wasn't unlike himself but he didn't remember being as annoying as a kid.

As Jacky moved to comfort their son, leaving the room, Henry placed his hands on the desk, hanging his head. Their arguments were always the same. He was the one to blame, he was the one who had 'changed'. The thought bounced around and around in his head. Changed. How can someone change without knowing it? Jacky just needed to get over herself and get out of the house, get some fresh air, that was all. Get a job and work.

Henry was abruptly shaken from his thoughts as he felt the tiny, frail figure of his son embracing his leg. Immediately Henry's gaze fell to the boy, listening as his words cut through the silence of the night, the darkness in the room. He hesitated to respond. After a moment he tugged at Michael's arms, forcing his grip off his leg and picking the child up. Henry glared at him for a few moments, thinking about his decision.

"You're a big boy now, right?" Henry inquired, rather mockingly and a pat on the head. "You can sleep in your own bed, all by yourself." It seemed to take the kid a moment to understand that the answer was no. The child wrapped his arms around his father's neck, beginning to cry, yelling, "Please, please! I'm afraid."

Henry only snorted in disgust, prying the child's hands from his neck and setting him, rather harshly, on the floor. Surely Jacky would come for him or the kid would run off in disappointment, either way as long as he was gone, out of his sight, it was fine by Henry.

Jacky's jaw dropped, and her lips trembled. She didn't know what to say. But she was inflamed. She picked Michael back up and shook her head. "I don't understand," she quietly said as she looked at him. "I don't know who I married, I don't know you anymore."

Jacky went and reluctantly put Michael in his bed. "I'm sorry, I. . . really am." Sorry. It wasn't really a word of choice, but there was little she could do to fix anything Henry did. He had a mind of his own, and there was nothing she could do to change him. And he was the one who changed. She had always been like this; shy and quiet. It was her personality. She couldn't help it.

Upon walking out of their son's room she pulled the door shut, before she headed back to her room. She stood in the door way for a few moments, as if to try and figure out what else she could and should say to him. What should she do? If she wasn't so scared of him, she might have figured something to do, but she was scared and tired of fighting with him. However, she knew her quietness only inflamed him farther, but there was no way she was letting it get the best of her. The quietness meant there was no fighting, well, as long as both of them were quiet.

As the minutes passed, neither of them said a word, and it seemed pointless. Why did he care so much about her leaving? He made out like that was all he ever wanted after any of the horrifying arguments. Why did he want to keep this up? Why did he have to yell? All were easily answered, but she knew he would never share those answers with her. Why? Because Jacky had been married to the man for years. She knew him. She knew every trick he has to offer.

Finally, being ate up with guilt, Jacky spoke. "Why? Why couldn't he stay? I mean come on, Henry. He's five. . . he's still a baby- my baby." She brushed the falling strands from her ponytail behind her ear as she let her head fall. "You could have been a good father for once in your life. But you couldn't have him getting in the way of what? The empty sheets between us?" Now Jacky was a little venomous, she was right. There was nothing but empty sheets between them, if that. Most of the time she got up and slept on the small couch against the wall, under the large window that overlooked their bed. "He wasn't hurting anyone."

Jacky crossed her arms as she walked to the small, comfortable couch and sat down. She pulled her legs closer to her chest as she watched the shadows on the floor. Her eyes didn't meet his during this whole time, in fact, it had been a long time since their eyes had met. She'd lost trust in him a long while before, so that was an excellent reason why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Henry's hands balled into fists as Jacky picked up their only child, whispering her little comments at him as she left. He wanted to lash out, to throw the punch he had wanted to all night. The door to Michael's room closed after a few moments, making Henry relax the slightest bit. It was the silence between them, tangible as they stood unable to speak, that got to him when she returned. It wasn't the way she couldn't look at him or couldn't put up with him, it was the way she wouldn't speak.

Jacky was the one who broke it, the one whose poisoned words tried to strangle him. While she continued, her head hung and voice quiet in her own reclusive way. Henry stayed pent-up with anger. She never asserted herself, only shrunk back.

"Don't take his side. You always take his side." Henry accused, taking a few steps toward the couch she sat upon. "I never do anything right if I'm parenting the kid! But, I've gotta do it if you're not going to." He snapped, stopping short, towering a few feet taller than Jacky's sitting figure. He studied her for a moment, his anger subsiding.

As delicately as he could, Henry sat next to his wife upon the old sofa. His weight made her shift in her seat. Reaching out a hand, he gently traced his finger from her cheek bone down to her chin, hardly touch her skin. "It didn't used to be this way." He breathed slowly. "Back when you used to love me." Dropping his hand, his gaze flicked to the floor. The silence encased him, deafening. It was these moments when he realized what was wrong with their relationship. It was so much easier to blame her for every mishap and mistake. She never retaliated and perhaps he thought she even believed him.

Abruptly getting up, he moved to the bed. Sliding off his pants and shrugging out of his shirt, he crawled under the duvet. For now he was dismissing their fight, postponing the continuation for the morning, hitting an imaginary pause button. "You wouldn't leave me." He muttered into his pillow as though he thought she wouldn't hear. Some times she let him be and others she'd start a fight. He was beyond tired and had had enough fighting. It was difficult being the only one that really yelled and screamed between them.

Jacky shook her head at him, just softly. But, she didn't say a word. She always took Michael's side. . . wonder why? The answer; the kid had to have someone to rely on. That sure as hell was not Henry. Henry didn't care about anyone but himself. He was a self-centered, heartless man. . . who didn't seem to care about anyone but himself. That fact really, really, bothered Jacky. Not only because she wasted the best years of her life on him, but because they, together, created life. How could she ever even trust him enough to let herself leave? She knew he would fight to keep their son just because he knew it would tare her to shreds to lose him. And he would win. He always won.

Her head fell as he towered over her, snapping at her over what happened. Not because she threatened to leave her, but because she needed to let their son grow up. "Ok! Fine! You're right, you're always f'in right!" Jacky snapped back, but by then he had sat down beside her, and traced his finger down her cheek and to her chin, only barely touching her skin. It wasn't always like this, he said, when you loved me, he remarked. . . Jacky just shook her head at his remark. "I have never stopped loving you." She faintly whispered when he stood up and walked to their comfortable bed. The one she had picked out for them. The one she spent all the money her parents gave her when they first moved in a few years back.

Jacky stood and slowly walked over to the bed, taking off her t-shirt and jeans before she changed into the cool, silky gown she always wore. She had almost climbed into bed with him before he said she would never leave him.

Want to bet?

Jacky grabbed her purse, and a handful of clothes before she turned to face him once more, "You want to say that again? I am about fed up with you and this bull crap you always cause. You think I'm bluffing, but guess what? You lose. You lost everything. I mean come on, Henry, I have tried, and I've tried. I have done it your way, and guess what? I have- we have nothing to show for it."

She knew he'd race after her. He never let her leave. He would never let her leave. That was how this whole thing worked. She would threaten to take everything he had spent theses gruesome seven years working for. She knew this game. Did she like it? No. But this was her life.

Before Henry could protest Jacky had her tennis shoes on, running out of the room. She quietly slipped into Michael's room and got him up, but the little boy wanted to sleep so badly, even though Jacky needed him to get up so they could go. "Come on, little man," She had pulled the bedroom door shut behind her, and locked it so no one could get in or out, well. . . little locks like that weren't hard to break, were they?

Sitting up, half his chest exposed, Henry watched his wife yelled at him. It wasn't until she made a run for it that he leapt out of bed. They had done this a few times and all it did was scare Michael. The poor kid didn't wanna leave with his mom and Henry would always be around to protect him.

Throwing on the t-shirt he had just taken off and slipping on a pair of shorts, he bolted out of their bedroom and scrambled down the hall. Trying Michael's bedroom door, he knew it was locked even before his hand touched the knob. Making a fist, he pounded on the wood. "Open this door! Now!" He yelled. There was no way she could escape through the window, not with Michael and even if she did he'd be able to follow her as he heard Michael begin to cry. Where ever Jacky took him, Henry would surely be able to follow.

"Open the door, Jacky. Don't do this." Henry called out, pounding on the door again. Michael was screaming and he knew that if they were too loud the neighbors would call the police. It wouldn't be their first time getting a visit from the local police but the officers always thought it must have been a mistake; the Carter's were always such kind and well put together people.

"Leave my son alone! Jacky!" Henry pounded the door furiously with both hands. "Don't make me come in there. You know I will!" He paused to listen for a moment, hearing Michael's voice strain as his throat couldn't take all the screaming and crying he was doing.

He took a breath, his face still hot with anger. He balled up his hands, forcing himself not to take any further action upon the door or the two behind its hinges. Softly he closed his eyes. "Jacky, please. Just let him sleep. Come out." Henry said, softer. Reopening his eyes he restrained himself, looking to the door expectantly for an answer.

Jacky shook her head at every one of his requests. He didn't mean that, did he? She looked to Michael, having a hard time deciding rather or not to leave him. She wasn't an idiot. Once she fell for it and walked out that door, it was all over. He wouldn't let her get away with it that easily. . . maybe for the night, though. If she cooperated with him, maybe he would forgive her, right?

Is that really a risk you want to take?

She had asked herself that question too many times to count. Too many times period.

However this time around, it wasn't. She reached for her phone, to call someone, anyone, to come to get her. But instead, she put it away and slid to the floor with her knees pressed against her chest, her arms tightly wrapped around them as she tried to ignore him. To ignore the shouting, the hammering on the wall. The crying. . . all she'd wanted was a happy life for she and her son, but there was no way off of this rollercoaster ride. Now she had only just figured this revelation out. It was mind blowing in so many ways for her. Just the thought of being trapped sent tears to her eyes.

She could have called the police, but what woman does that to their husband? And better yet; what cop would believe her about him? He was well liked throughout the community - he made himself look perfect to everyone. That's how je looked when they were just dating: kind, sweet, loving, helpful. . . the list could go on and on. But, where was all of that now?

Jacky stood and walked to the door, before slowly opening it. Her eyes were filled with nothing but fear of this man, this man she married, the father to their child. . . if not children. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came to her, so she pushed past him and went into their room where she laid down, like nothing happened at all.

Henry had one arm on the door frame, leaning as he waited to hear from Jacky. Michael was still crying and he wondered what it was she was doing in there as the child would not be quiet. Eventually the door opened and Henry flicked back slightly, taking in his wife's teary eyes. Despite his want to say something, she pushed past him and he let her. He was about to follow when he heard Michael's incessant cries.

Walking into the bedroom, his son stood on the bed, bawling. Henry picked up the child and gently set him flat on his back. "It's okay, kiddo." Henry cooed, pulling the blankets up around the child. "Shhhhh. Go back to sleep." Slowly he calmed down, his breath hitching though the tears stopping in his eyes. Henry placed a kiss on his son's forehead, before walking out of the room and closing the door behind him.

Back in his own bedroom, he found Jacky had crawled into their bed. Maybe she would actually spend the whole night there for once. Henry shrugged off his shirt and shorts, as he had done earlier that very same night. Carefully he picked is way onto the bed, staying as close to the edge of the mattress as he could. He remembered when he used to sleep with his arm around Jacky, keeping them both warm in the night. Those days were long ago and he had more than forgotten how that had felt.

To be honest, Jacky had forgotten the feeling of being held. He was the one who let that go, though. But there was always room where he blamed Jacky for something that he did. Actually, everything he did she had to be a blame in. She had gotten too used to the feeling of being unloved by him, that was the main reason she wanted out so badly. The reason she cried herself to sleep for the last. . . four years? That sounded about right, it started after Michael was brought home from the hospital. Who knows, maybe it was her fault. She did spend nearly every night at the hospital when he was there, of course that was because the doctors told her he wouldn't make it past a week as a baby.

Jacky, boldly, moved closer to him in her sleep. Her head rested against his back, while her hands were drawn in closely to her body as she curled up to him, well, his back. She didn't move after that, just stayed close to him. Unless he decided to push her away, she wouldn't move. She smiled at her dream, it made her think of the good old days, when they started dating. Oh how happy she was, how much she loved him. . . and she did. She loved him with everything she had in her. When they were first starting out, that is.

By 6:30 a.m. the next morning, she was up, trying to be a good wife for once. . . Maybe today they wouldn't argue. Yes, she knew it was Saturday, but it might be nice to eat breakfast as a family, together, for once. So, she made their favorites, or what they both used to love; scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage for herself, as she didn't care for bacon, but Michael loved it, and her 'famous' biscuits. Yes, she loved to cook, and was quite good at it. Most of the cooking was done by 8 a.m., so she let them sleep a while longer than usual, in hope they both would forgive her for what she did the night before.

Once she made her way up the stairs she went to she and Henry's room to wake him up, but she wanted to do it very. . . sweetly. So, Jacky sat very carefully on the edge of their bed and slowly leaned down to kiss his temple, then lips before she rested a hand on his shoulder. "I made us all breakfast, so. . . we could eat together as a family." She smiled softly, before looking to his hazel colored eyes, "So, why don't you get up, and go get Michael to come and eat with us?" She asked softly as she stood back up.

Henry felt Jacky curl up next to him before he closed his eyes to sleep. It had been since they had slept like the couple they were supposed to be, close and comforting. He had long ago given up trying to comfort Jacky because it seemed like almost everything he did was wrong or in some way angering to her. Henry didn't move her or himself during the night. It had been a while since they had slept so close to each other and he wasn't about to ruin it.

Henry slept soundly through the night, waking up once to find Jacky still right beside him, still curled up against his back. In the morning, he awoke the second he felt the soft kiss on his forehead, kissing back Jacky as she moved to his lips. The affection continued as she placed a tender hand on his shoulder. Looking up at her, he wondered what had gotten in to her that had changed the way as was acting. Stretching, he listened to her every word. Thinking about it for a moment, he nodded in agreement.

Henry waited until she was out of the room before disentangling himself from the sheets. Quickly he made the bed, a little sloppily but he wasn't an expert at it. Next he pulled on a t-shirt and sweats, knowing he was going to take a shower later. Quietly he twisted the knob of the bedroom door and opened it cautiously. He could hear Jacky in the kitchen with clanking china, probably dishing up the meal. In Michael's room, Henry look at his sleeping son. Gently he shook the child, waiting for him to open his little eyes. Taking a breath the child looked up at his father expectantly, his little hands rubbing at his sleepy eyes. "C'mon kiddo. Mom's made breakfast." Henry picked him up, already dressed in the pajamas he had slept in. Walking down stairs both of them could smell the delicious food that had been prepared for them. "Smells good." Henry commented, Michael nodded in agreement.

Jacky flashed a small smile as she laid out their plates on the breakfast table, getting a cup of coffee for herself, some orange juice for Michael. "Thanks," She flashed a sweet smile as she grabbed another coffee cup, "Watcha want, babe? Coffee, or. . . water, juice―we have plenty!" Ok, so maybe she was trying too hard, but she was tired of their fighting. The arguments did nothing for their relationship but make them hate each other.

She'd been with him for. . . years. He was her first love, which, of course, she didn't ever consider herself his first love. But they were engaged at such a young age, well, he was 20, and she was 19―but they both brought it on.

That was. . . fun.

And it was, it really was. Or, to Jacky their life together started out perfect. Until they started arguing―and that was a different story.

"Om, Henry, I wanted to say I'm sorry, well, to the both of you. I overreacted, and I know. . . it must be hard to forgive me, but I―I thought it would be good if we started doing more as a family. Like we used to. You know, the random trips. Just stuff we used to do." Jacky hadn't sat down yet, because she wanted them to pay attention to what she said for once. "I want us to be happy and. . . I don't know. But, anyways, the point is; I love you two more than life itself. Y'all are my world, and when my world crumbles, so do I―for that, I apologize. I don't mean to hurt anyone when I get mad like that, and last night, when we had our little argument, and I put you, Michael in the middle of it. . . I never, ever meant to scare you, little man, and neither did daddy. If we did, I'm sure neither of us meant to." With that, she sat down and neatly crossed her legs. She knew it was stupid, and neither of them would listen, but it was worth a shot, right?

It had been a while since either of them apologized for their mistakes and wrong doings. Never before had Jacky offered to do more to fix their relationship and Henry wasn't sure he was about to jump to do the same thing. Sitting into his seat, reveling at the lavish meal before them, he did pay her some mind. As she finished, joining them at the table, Henry wasn't about to apologize or make any commitments.

"Sure, babe. We can try. Thanks for all this." Henry said, grabbing his fork and taking his first bite. Michael was already halfway done and had made a minor mess out of his food. Despite his urge to make Jacky get him a drink, he got up himself and poured another cup of coffee. Sitting back down, he continued to eat, not interested on commenting any further on Jacky's speech. For awhile there was just the silence of silverware on plates and the soft crunch of chewing.

"Aren't you going to apologize to me too?" Jacky asked as she looked up from her food, tilting her head as she awaited Henry's reply. Well, she was hoping he had something in him that felt regret. I mean, he was just as human as she was―or he used to be. She wasn't quite sure anymore. "I mean it's really easy, just say you're sorry and we can be happy and eat breakfast." She flashed her signature all-too-innocent smile, and took a sip of her coffee. She looked happy on the outside, but on the inside she was about at the point of boiling. If he wanted to be an absolute ass hole, then fine. But he was not getting away with it.

She looked back down to her plate and merely played with her food. Did he ever try to help her? Did he care? Was he just selfish? Or maybe he just didn't notice anything about his wife's mood. How randomly it changed, how one moment she was smiling, happy, talking to him, kissing him―the list could go on and on, point was, the next moment she was ready to explode, or she was bawling her eyes out in her nice little 'corner'.

Finally, she pulled her hands back into her lap and looked out at him. However, she said nothing about it. Not one word about what she thought, instead, she relaxed and tried to think of something else to talk about. "I was thinking me, and Michael could go over to see my parents tonight, they said they wanted to see him. . . and since you don't really get along, he and I could just go for the night, then come back tomorrow." after last night, would he believe her? Would he believe she was coming back?

If there was one thing Henry liked about Jacky, it was that she could never hold him to one question. First she asked him to apologize and acted as though she were starting a fight, only to change the topic so he felt less inclined to bring it back up. In this way, she gave him a way out.

"Just because I don't always get along with your parents doesn't mean they don't like me around. If we're gonna see your parents it should be as a family. You said you wanted to do more family things, right?" Henry said, stabbing a piece of bacon. "Besides, me and Michael are pals." He added, looking to their son who never said much. "Right, buddy?" Henry ruffled his hair and Michael nodded in agreement, not furiously but enough to get the point across. It was hard for Michael, would be for any kid, to have to choose between his parents; which he liked more, which he would rather be with.

Turning back to Jacky, Henry said again, "We're pals." As though there was nothing he could do to help that. He watched her as he took a sip of coffee and continued eating. She always had a plan in that head of hers and it was always a mystery what she was thinking, what she was going to say next.

((I am really really sorry! I had it all written out I just somehow managed not to hit reply! I'm still very much interested!))

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacky looked down when he spoke, though that only made her play with her food more. He didn't seem to understand; she needed to get away from this sometimes. She wished she could speak, but at first all she could do was nod.

Their buds, right. . . That's why I'm always the one trying to cradle him when he does something to hurt him. Oh, but no, I'm the bad guy here because I wanted out.

Jacky looked up after a moment, but she only just nodded. "I know, but they like to start things, 'cause they blame you for me never getting to go to school. . . stuff like that." She said softly as she rested her hands into her lap, letting her head fall before she spoke again, only ten words; "and something tells me they were right to blame you." However that was nothing more than a mere murmur under her breath, but he could have easily heard it.

Henry was listening to Jacky, knowing she wouldn't give up that easily. She must have been looking for a fight the moment those words left her mouth, and she wanted it too as she said them so quietly. Henry slammed his fist down on the wooden table, leaning over his plate, getting as close to Jacky's face as he could with the restriction of the table.

"I am so sick and tired of all your failed efforts at leaving. You're not going anywhere." Henry said, raising his voice the more he spoke. "You don't mean even half of the things you say." He spat, momentarily pausing and perhaps to think of something to say. "I'm so sick of this. Sick of you. You're not leaving me, Jacky. I demand we see a counselor or something before you just up and go. You can't sit there and say you tried to help anything if you haven't even tried hiring a professional." Henry sat back in his seat, trying to calm down before he made Michael cry. If Michael cried the whole argument would go downhill. He couldn't yell at Jacky while she was holding Michael. "And I'm not going to see a counselor." He added defensively crossing his arms over his chest.

Jacky jumped back when Henry moved closer to her. She gripped her knees as she stared at him, but then to Michael before she stood up.

"What do you want me to say?! I'm perfectly happy living in fear of you? Wake up, babe, we haven't been happy in years." Jacky finally snapped, "oh, but you don't want to see a councilor! That would mean something was wrong with you but if course, Henry Carter is nothing but mister perfect, that's why every time someone calls the cops on us, they never arrest you! God, I'm sick of it to!" She paused as she took in a deep breath. Her mind was now set: if he told her she couldn't leave. Then, she would do everything to.

"Oh, by the way, you don't get to tell me what I can and can't do. I'm sick of you. All you've ever done is try to control our life. Why couldn't you just for once be happy? Was it so hard?" With that, she pushed away from the table and jogged up the stairs, slamming the door to their room behind them. She was partially livid.

Henry got up as Jacky left the table, he was about to follow her up the stairs and yell at her through the door as they had in the recent past. However Michael sat on the edge of his seat, watching his parents argue and fight with one another. Michael had become a sort of pawn, neither of his parents willing to live without him and he was constantly pulled from side to side, unable to take sides himself.

Henry sat back down, his head hung a little as he realigned the silverware he had upset when he pounded the table. "I'm sorry Michael." Henry said softly to the child. "I didn't mean to yell. Mommy didn't either. Sometimes... Sometimes we just get angry." That didn't seem good enough. It wasn't right to tell a child that his parents fought because they fought. There was no real passion behind that save for the little hobby behind it screaming that they both got some pleasure out of yelling in each other's faces.

Henry continued to eat and encouraged Michael to as well. There was no use it wasting a perfectly good meal. Once they were both finished, Henry cleared the table, setting aside Jacky's half eaten plate incase she still wanted it. Michael still sat in his seat, beady eyed as he watched his father approach him. "Wanna watch some tv?" Henry asked him, trying to entertain the child who nodded in agreement. Michael hopped off his chair and walked into the living room, climbing onto the sofa. Henry flipped on the television and turned on Disney Channel, Michael's favorite. After a few minutes he was mesmerized and Henry snuck up stairs to knock on the bedroom door. "C'mon Jacky. I didn't mean to upset you. I'm sorry we're not happy. I just - we-" He paused, lost for words. "Maybe we should see a counselor. I mean, it's not like I really want to... But you want this fixed... A-and I want this fixed, maybe it'll help. We should try it. At least for Michael's sake."

Jacky sighed as she sat on the edge of the bed, her heed rested in her hands. God, this wasn't something she could handle, nor could she ever, He never let it go; not once had he let her just slip up without confronting it. He really needed to wake up. She felt like she was at the absolute end. Leaving seemed like the only way out to her, but then there was Michael. He didn't know who to chose, and she understood that, but all she wanted was to protect him. In the end, it usually got her into more trouble than it was worth.

Once Henry began to talk to her she just shook her head. "I don't care anymore . . . all I want is to leave you, and this place. I'm tiered of being the bad guy. I always am, so don't try it. I know, I'm far from perfect, but you can at least try. I have never asks you for much, but you're not the person I thought I was marrying. You're not the one I loved, he's long gone." Jacky said lowly as she laid down, stating at the ceiling profusely. It was all she could do anymore, otherwise, she would just start another fight.

Henry was confused at Jacky's words and mildly concerned by how calm her voice was. "What do you want me to do? What exactly do you need me to do to make you happy?" He asked, practically asking for directions. Clearly he couldn't be the person she wanted him to be on his own so he needed at least a few pointers in the right direction.

Henry leaned against the doorway to their bedroom, one arm high on the doorframe, holding his weight as he leaned against it. It was hard to point out when things had started shifting in their relationship and while he was known for the yelling and the arguing he could also be the mediator. It wasn't what he was good at but if Jacky pulled what she did today, he felt obligated.

Jacky was in all honesty, too tired to even think, but she knew she didn't even have an ounce in her that wanted to try and forgive him for everything. She turned onto her side, slowly pulling a pillow closer to her chest as she did so. Once the soft, plush pillow was close she wrapped her arms around it and let out a deep sigh. This was exhausting; every word from his mouth seemed like nothing more than a mere lie. . . of only she could believe that he meant anything.

"I don't know anymore." she replied with nothing but honesty; she really didn't know. "I just feel like. . . you don't really care, and while everyone accuses me if cheating, I look at you and wonder if you do the same thing―but we haven't gotten along." ok, now she was just rambling on, and on, and on. Maybe some of her meds had her messed up, you never know. "Oh, I know what I want; you to actually love me."

There was no way of proving love to someone. It wasn't like telling the truth or being honest, there was no way to define love. What if Henry did love Jacky? There was no way anyone could tell, perhaps not even Henry himself, whether or not what he felt for Jacky was love.

Henry heard her quiet reply through the door and since he had nothing to say, silently retreated downstairs. Michael was still watching the television, sinking into the couch. He thought of those commercials where the fathers encouraged their kids to play outside and being active while the two of them preoccupied him with sitting there staring at a screen. It should be different. Maybe Henry couldn't prove that he loved his wife but he could show that he loved his son. After watching him over the past few minutes, Henry walked over and shut off the machine. Michael looked at his father blankly. "C'mon. Let's, let's go outside." Henry suggested, walking to the sliding glass door that led to the backyard. Michael followed, unenthusiastic. Once outside Henry found a football. As a kid Henry loved football. "Can you throw this?" He asked, handing the child the ball. At first the kid seemed puzzled, unsure. After a few moments he tossed it as though it were a basketball, without using the grips purposefully stitched into the side. Henry gave a little sigh. "Here, try it like this." Henry placed the ball correcting in his son's hand and threw it with him. After a few more failed attempts at trying to teach the kid how to properly throw the ball, Henry gave up and instead they passed it without a care as to how. Eventually Michael was even running around, enjoying himself, outside, with his father.

It hurt, just that he walked out. If anything he could have said one, soothing word to his wife. Something, no, anything would have gave her more confidence in him.

Jacky stood up and brushed herself off. Maybe she was right, maybe she needed a 'time off'. She needed a small break. So she grabbed her keys, a few suits of clothes, and walked out the front door. She'd come back soon, but right now, she needed to find herself again. It wasn't working with her being this stressed, and she knew that.

(Time Jump: a week later.)

Jacky finally drove back, a week from the day she left. Only this time, she was a little more relaxed, happy.

She walked up, slowly, to the front steps. She didn't even knock on the door, just walked in. It was her house after all too. Not just Henry's. God forbid he clammed it as his, she happily worked while they were paying for it; her name as also on the title. She sat her purse on the counter, then her keys slowly after.

She had left without any notice, hopefully they wouldn't have a problem with that. She knew it was stupid of her, but she told him she didn't know what else to do. Surely Henry had seen it coming, somehow. But, Michael was her pride and joy. She could not leave him, even if she detested his father. "Anyone home?" she called from the living room, awaiting for an answer from someone.

Once Henry had tired from playing ball with his son, they both retreated inside for a cool drink. There was no sign of Jacky so he had assumed that she was still sitting in the room, sulking on her own. To prevent a fight he restrained himself from going to get her. It had been a while since he had last seen her and he was beginning to worry as she never stayed alone this long, not usually. Tentatively Henry fixed lunch, making sandwiches for the two of them. Michael was pleased. It wasn't until late in the afternoon that Henry went upstairs to check on Jacky. He found the door to the bedroom open but nothing seemed particularly out if place despite the absence of his wife.

(Time Skip)

Henry was nearly certain that Jacky had left him for good. He was not expecting her return especially day after day when she didn't come back. Michael had questioned him and when Henry didn't have any satisfying answers, his son either kept asking or stared calculatingly off into space. The time away from each other was good for their relationship. Henry had calmed down, trying to accept what he thought was going to be single parenthood.

During the week Henry had had to get up extra early and wake up Michael so both could get to work and school. Michael even had to stay in after school care until his dad could pick him up. It had been a tough week.

Having survived the seven days alone, Michael and Henry were happily upstairs watching television in the master bedroom when Jacky came home. Henry had heard the car in the driveway but didn't check to see who it was, assuming that it wasn't his wife nor his driveway. Then he heard her call from downstairs, looking to Michael beside him to see if he had heard her. When his son lay oblivious, Henry untangled himself and checked the window. Sure enough her car was parked outside the house. Closing the door behind him, he walked out and downstairs, slowly. "Jacky?" He called back questioningly. When he finally caught sight of her in the living room he held his ground. "I thought you had left... For good."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back