[Nations of Men] Grand Palace

Uziel

Everypony wants to rule the world
650_TH_BKKgrandPalace.jpg

Renovated in 1919, the Grand Palace was the capital of Siam for centuries. However in recent years it has been re-purposed as a conference hall and a grandiose reception building for the Kingdom.

A single 1910 Ford Model T, made it's way through the bustling Siamese streets, on it's way to the Grand Palace. It was colored black like most automobiles, and in the place of it's hood ornament was a small Banner of the Nation of the Confederacy. As the automobile parked near the entrance of the Grand Palace, a balding, middle-aged man in a very nice suit stepped down from the back seat. The man grasped a pair of eyeglasses from his suit's exterior chest-pocket and put them on.

He approached the guard at the Palace's entrance, took out his credentials and presented them; "Good day to you! - I am Robert Kelso, a diplomat from the Confederate Union of America. I would like to meet with a representative of your government, if that is possible?"

Robert Kelso was welcomed, though not enthusiastically. The presence of westerners was not exactly a happy occasion for the Siamese, but they extended him the proper courtesies. Devavongse Varoprakarn welcomed the Confederate representative.

"Welcome to the Grand Kingdom, Ambassador. We are honored to have you," Varo said. Since Varo is the King's brother and would be King until Rama VI's eldest son ascended to the throne, Kelso is expected to bow to Varo, as he is not Head of State or another Monarch.

A pair of vehicles, produced in the Empire of the Shadow People, approached the embassy. Upon arriving, the vehicles stopped, and from the first one several armed Palace Guards exited the vehicle, in ceremonial wear, but armed none the less. They took positions around the second car, and opened the door. From the vehicle stepped forth Fenyang Ozzimer, brother of Ozzimer the 195th, and also head diplomat for the Empire.

He approached the embassy, trailed by a pair of his guards, and presented his credentials. "I come from the Empire of the Shadow People, to speak with my counterpart within these lands."

As Fenyang Ozzimer is Royalty, he is not expected to bow to Devavongse Caroprakarn. Fenyang's trip is uneventful.

"Welcome to the Grand Kingdom, Ambassador. We are honored to have you," Varo said.

Out of respect, Fenyang bows to Devavongse, "I am honored to have been asked by my brother to journey here, and further honored to be accepted here. The Empire of the Shadow People wishes to form closer ties with its brothers of the Grand Kingdom, for our struggles are a shared one."

Fortunately, Kelso was well aware of Varo's position and knew when to bow. "Thank you, I am also honored to be allowed this audience with you, your highness." He then said, in a respectful manner. "I've come here today, to officially establish diplomatic relations with your nation and to discuss a hopefully collaborative and friendly future, between the Grand Kingdom and the Confederacy."

Devavongse Caroprakarn was honored that the brother of Ozzimer would bow to him, but was not compelled to return the gesture...And so he did not.

"We would be accepting of relations with the Shadow People. We would be more than happy to open trade relations with you, and sign non-aggression Pacts. There is an interest, however, that I think your Empire and ours can agree upon: Keeping the Indian Ocean free of European and Western fleets. I have no wish to see Siamese bases in Africa, or African bases in Siam, but the King believes it would be an excellent opportunity to open our respective ports with one another, so that we can better patrol and control the region."

The Siamese foreign minister smiled.

"Siam would be more than happy to open trade relations and sign non-aggression treaties with the Confederacy. But the King wishes you to be aware, we do not look kindly on the West imposing themselves abroad. Any Western power is within scrutiny. We will not interfere, so long as you stay out of Asia."

"You needn't worry then, for we're not the British Empire and our President shares similar views with your King. He- and many others within the Confederacy -believe that Americans shouldn't meddle in foreign business, just as foreigners shouldn't meddle in American business. Many hardships could have been avoided, had each stayed to their own in the past.. But, to the reason I am here, as you already guessed- We would like to extend Siam an offer of trade agreements and a pact of non-aggression."

Fenyang grinned ever so sly, "It is as if you read my mind. The reason I came here to visit was to open trade and insure your nation was as committed to preventing the West, and especially the Europeans, from once again raping the newly free peoples of the world. The Empire of the Shadow People would welcome the opening of our harbors to each other's fleets, and in fact would be willing to go a step further, and introduce the idea of a stated, or even written, agreeing to help each other keep the Europeans from once more colonizing any peoples in Africa or East Asia."

"Siam has many issues to deal with here in Asia, including internal issues. I'm afraid that coming into such a foreign policy would not be...Conducive to our interests at this time, but needless to say, we will support you however we can should any such circumstances arise."

"I believe, then, we are in agreement, Mister Kelso. Was there anything else you would like to discuss?"

Fenyang nodded in understanding, "Of course, hence why we were seeking merely a stated pledge of support. That alone can be enough to change the tide of a war. I can assure you that the Shadow People will render assistance however we can should you need it to deal with some Westerners."

"i look forward to working with you. To celebrate our friendship, I would like to donate some of my finest Golden Shower Trees to your Emperor for his garden and palace, as a gift from my king to yours."

Fenyang nodded, "My brother would be ecstatic to receive them I'm sure. In return, we would like to gift to your own king, King Protea flowers for his own garden. They are our national flower, and we hope that your king enjoys them as much as ours does."

"They shall be the mantlepiece in our garden of gems. Thank you for coming."

"It was my great pleasure to be able to journey here and better both our nations. May the hands of your artists never tire, and may your warriors always stand strong."

Walking through the city, Foreign Minister Goto uncomfortably loosened his tie, and tugged at the color of his white starched shirt as droplets of sweat ran down his neck. He knew that Southeast Asia was humid, but he did not expect to become so stifling in the simple task of walking from the train station to the Grand Palace. Such stickiness reminded him of the time he spent the summer with his family on the island of Okinawa, but even during that instance, it was a matter of relaxation, and there was plenty of iced barley tea on hand to cool him off. Even then, he could not comprehend why people would want to live in unbearable weather in a place like this.

"Such a miserable climate...." He muttered as he fumbled with a map that he pulled out of his brief case to further understand his surroundings. The city was like a maze, and if it weren't so hot, he would have been mesmerized by the architecture and shining golden temples that dotted the landscape. But the magic of Siam had been lost on his simple desire for a seat in the shade and a glass of water. After pinpointing his location as a few meters away from the building, he fanned himself impatiently with the map, but alas, the humidity had turned the paper soft and flimsy in a matter of moments--his efforts to cool himself were in vein. After arriving at the gate to the Grand Palace, he set down his brief case to take a breath and straighten up his appearance.

"When I return to Tokyo, I'm introducing a cooler dress code for diplomats who have to travel to such places." He panted.

The good Ambassador instructed for the Japanese representative to get some refreshments, some ice, and a fan, seeing his discomfort.

"Welcome to Siam," he greeted his Japanese counterpart.

Goto stood upright at the sight of the ambassador and gave two quick, deep bows.

"T-Thank you, you-your highness."

He panted and quickly gulped down a glass of water filled with ice. Closing his eyes for a few seconds, he pulled himself back together and spoke in a more collected voice.

"Forgive my rudeness, I am not used to this climate." He said, pulling out a handkerchief and dabbing his forehead.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am the Foreign Minister of the Greater Japanese Empire, Goto Shinpei. If Your Highness has the time, there are some matters that I would like to discuss with you as a representative of the will of the Emperor and the Japanese people."

Goto pulled out a paper from his briefcase.

"I would be honored," he smiled, "There are a few matters we were hoping to get Japan's cooperation with, actually, namely guaranteeing the prevention of Western influences in Asia. They have meddled in our affairs far too long. Siam is eager for close relations with Japan. I do not believe that the Greater Kingdom is ready for an outright alliance with the Empire, but certainly we can agree to cooperate in defending our common spheres of influence. To start,w e should begin open trade.

"Currently the southern seas of Asia are dealing with piracy issues. We have already committed our navies to the task of preventing pirates from attacking our merchant marine, but we believe that we could extend the safe zones considerably with Japanese cooperation."

"I am pleased to hear your enthusiasm for open trade with my country. We Japanese understand very well your perceptive of the prevention of Western influences in Asia. In our history, we too have struggled with the threat of Western conquest, with little choice than to adapt Western technological ideas to our cultural ways as means to avoid the unfortunate history that the Kingdom has overcome. Although our navy is of British origin and our armies of German tradition, our country's soul still remains a part of Asia, and we commend the Siamese for standing up against those who oppressed them.

Our idea is the same as yours; leave Western problems to the Western nations and the affairs of Asia to remain with those who have the power to develop and improve the lives of the people in our region. This is why we wish for cooperation with you as opposed to conflict. If we work together, we can develop our nations' economies and become a region better equipped to stand up against Western hegemony. The Great War that drained the world of its political and economic strength is proof of the dangers of Europe.

I shall take your concerns with the southern seas back to my country and discuss the possibility of sending out a fleet of patrol ships to cooperate with the protection of trade routes in exchange for better economic and trade relations with the Siamese Kingdom. However, we also suggest that such matters should be brought to the attention of all states through the League of Nations....Perhaps we can propose a formidable Law of the Seas to which the Western nations must also abide by. This will make our countries more legitimate in the eyes of the Americans and Europeans, who seem to have monopolized the agenda."

Goto hands the paper over to Caroprakarn.

"This is a draft of the Japanese conditions to re-establishing diplomatic relations with your Kingdom. Of course, I intend to discuss it with you first, so do not feel inclined to sign upon it right away. Please take a look over and see if there are any conditions on the Siamese side that you would like to add or that you find disagreeable."

The paper reads:

Re-Establishment of Diplomatic Relations Between Siam and Japan After the Great War, 1921

1. The Greater Japanese Empire and the Grand Siamese Kingdom have agreed to recognize each other as legitimate powers in Asia and to re-establish diplomatic relations.
  2. The Greater Japanese Empire recognizes the Grand Siamese Kingdom as the sole legal Government of its region, but also respects the governments of its subject states, Burma, Vietnam, and Malaysia. Within this context, the people of Japan will maintain basic cultural, commercial, and other unofficial relations with the people of Siam's member states and official relations with Siam herself.
  3. The Greater Japanese Empire and the Grand Siamese Kingdom emphasize the principles that:
  4. Both wish to establish trade among both Empires as the initial step of the strengthening alliance.
  5. Both wish to reduce the danger of international military conflict should it arise, particularly conflicts imposed by the West.
  6. Neither should challenge the others' hegemony in the Asia-Pacific region or in any other region of the world and each is opposed to efforts by any Western country or group of countries to establish such hegemony in the Asia-Pacific.
  7. Both believe that normalization of Siamese-Japanese relations after the context of the Great War is not only in the interest of the Japanese and Southeast Asian peoples, but also contributes to the cause of peace in Asia and the world.

"I am not so sure that would be in our interests, truth be told. There are still Western threats, and the same tactics should not be out of the question for us to address them. It is action, I believe, rather than treaties that will show what is and is not acceptable in Asia. Pirating legitimate goods moving around the world, however, does not hurt nations. It hurts people.

"We will sign this, and we look forward to establishing closer relations in the near future."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back