Naming a Deathknight

chalicier

Right. If Stephen, Matthew, Cat, Kit, Dan, or Collen - my players - are reading this, STOP READING NOW.

Gone? Good.

Right, I'm working on a plotline involving a "perfect killer" - a Jason Vorhees-like unstoppable engine of death. Of course I immediately thought of Abyssals, as that's pretty much their entire schtick. They may be mechanically slightly inferior, but when it comes to getting back up after you should be dead for the umpteenth time, they're more-or-less unmatched. Between Cadaverous Torpor Technique and Immortal Malevolence Enslavement, short of someone dropping a Ghost-Eating Technique on them there's no stopping them (and I can probably pull off some kind of flange to get around GET, too - maybe an artifact or some custom Charm leading off IME). The emphasis is meant to be on the near-impossibility of killing this thing - I want my players thinking of ways to contain or redirect it rather than just stabbity-stab.

The only thing I can't think of is a name. I need an Abyssal-type name that expresses this thing's unstoppableness and limitless thirst for death, a name that gets across the slasher-movie-like nature of it. So far I'm not having much luck. Normally I'm quite good at this, but my usual flowery naming just doesn't seem to work in this context. So, any suggestions?

Well, if he's the archetypal death and destruction monster how about:

Inexorable Juggernaut of the Infinite Darkness.

or if he's the scarecrow-thin, wispish monstrosity that seems to be able to take a Grand Killstick full in the face and not even chip a tooth:

Capering Lunatic Spattered in Blood.

The text color is optional.

Captain Hesperus

He's Jason Vorhees, basically. Tall, heavy-set, masked, blood-spattered, generally slow-moving. Takes damage, ignores it, attacks again. Takes damage, retreats, attacks again. Takes damage, appears to die, lies there unmoving until you think it's over, attacks again. Gets burnt to nothing, comes back, tracks you across most of Creation, attacks again. "Inexorable" has definite possibilities, I feel.

You could always add the two together and have:

Inexorable Juggernaut Spattered in Blood.

Captain Hesperus

Ongoing Argument and Inevitable Solution to All Woes

Basically, he'll send everything into Oblivion, but poetically stated. It also covers that he's working at it now, he just won't stop, and he'll be at til it's done.

Perhaps a thesaurus to make it more poetic- such Refutation in place of Argument and "the ultimate disease" (life) in place of "All Woes".

Actually, Black Ice Glacier sounds really good to me. Might well go with that.

edit: Actually I was planning on using Black Ice Shadow at some point, so that's too close. But the Glacier terminology works nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back