• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Mecha/ Giant Robot RP

SAIGO-NO-HEATS

A drifter, returned
I want to do something involving giant robots and I have a few ideas as to what I would want to do but I want to run them by everyone first.

The first idea would be something in an established universe. Most likely a gundam RP, either the One Year War or an original setting.

The second idea would be something like super robot wars where anyone could bring in any mech from any existing series as part of a massive crossover like thing. i.e. Gundams fighting alongside Code Geass Fighting alongside Gurren Lagann and etc.

The last idea would be all original mecha. Nothing from established universes, just everyone creating their own ideas.

Although as an addendum we could just do the second idea and still have people be able to create there own mechs as part of an original universe as well, so maybe that's the best route.

I'll flesh this out further if it looks like it's generating interest.

I await your response, Oh Star Children.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpNk1xZ8bDs[/media]

[QUOTE="Jack Tegan]Tengen toppa gurren laggan wins every single time.

[/QUOTE]
Getter Emperor and Mazinger Zero call that to question. But obviously for the sake of keeping the RP fair we could easily come up with some contrivance or another as to why the super robots and real robots are roughly on par. Like different universes have different physics so it's difficult for some of the more powerful mechs to go all the way or something.

[QUOTE="Jack Tegan]Tengen toppa gurren laggan wins every single time.

[/QUOTE]
But more over. Would you be interested in joining?

Intersted. Althought I think the second idea would come out as a mess, even srw's plot was barely make sense with so many universe in one, but it's just my opinion tho. Maybe an original universe where people can use anime's mech with, like, a reasonable explanation.

Sitahra said:
Intersted. Althought I think the second idea would come out as a mess, even srw's plot was barely make sense with so many universe in one, but it's just my opinion tho. Maybe an original universe where people can use anime's mech with, like, a reasonable explanation.
That seems fair.

Prototype Character sheet: May be revised and will be posted again in the character sign up tab when the full RP goes up

Pilot-

Name: (Or pseudonym, or nickname, or title, or so on.)

Physical Appearance: What do they look like? Pics are acceptable.

Personality: What do they act like?

Alignment: Would you consider your pilot good or evil? Or something inbetween?

Faction: Who are they fighting for?

History: Where do they come from? Who and what are they fighting for? How did they become a pilot in the first place? Are they a soldier or just someone who fell into the cockpit? Do they have a rival they particularly hate?

Other:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mecha-

Mecha Name: What is your machine(?) called?

Mecha Classification: (See below for explanation)

Super Robot- The classics, more like super heroes than anything we’d ever see in real life. They’re powers may have some sort of pseudo-scientific explanation, but they are clearly more fantasy than reality. Tend to be more exaggerated, with attacks that require the pilot to call out the name as loudly as possible and prefer fighting at close range, either with a sword or its bare hands. They typically only fight from a distance with special attacks, such as Chest beams, rocket punches, or something in that vein. They can sometimes seem to have minds of their own, and the excuses for this can vary wildly, from advanced AI, to magic, to being built on the corpses of fallen gods.

Examples: Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, Big O, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, G Gundam, Pacific Rim, Sym-bionic Titan, Megas XLR, to many others to name.

Real Robot- A more realistic take on Giant Robots, though like all good science fiction they’re usually willing to go outside the lines of real life if it looks cool enough. Tend to have a more militaristic appearance and generally behave more like machines than super robots. Tend to fight from afar with conventional weapons, only fighting in melee when they have to and even then usually only with specialized gear such as swords or knifes. Special attacks typically come in the form of hidden super weapons, which may not be able to be fired more than once per battle. Tend not to have much more of a personality than the average tank or jet fighter, but occasionally have advanced AI that allow them to think or even speak.

Examples: Any Gundam other than G, Code Geass, Macross, Patlabor, MechWarrior, Armored Core, Full Metal Panic!, Eureka 7, VOTOMs, etc.

Sub-types- there are many types of mecha but they tend to fall into one of the two above camps more often than not. These are more like Mech Shapes than anything, as they can wind up being either.

-I.e.: A Zoid would be a real robot Beast type as it’s considered to be “Realistic” while Mari’s beast form from the Eva Rebuilds would be a Super Robot Beast.

Beast- Animal Shaped robots can be anything from a Wolf or tiger, to a dragon or gorilla, Any non-humanoid animal really. Can feasibly be piloted by an animal that it’s based off of if the universe it comes from allows for it.

Jet- A jet fighter, usually a pretty big one at that, they are capable of flying in the air and space, but doesn’t have a ground mode. It can sometimes act as a transport for other Mechs.

Tank- A huge tank, they usually packs some of the biggest guns, but slow moving and typically aren’t great against airborne targets.

Transformer- Mecha that are able to switch between two different modes, such as Humanoid to jet mode, or beast to tank. Etc.

Combined- Somewhat similar to transformer, but are made of multiple smaller mecha and usually much stronger version than its individual parts.

Humanoid- The assumed standard shape of a mecha, typically two arms and two legs, but can sometimes have tails, wings, or other accessories.

Mecha appearance
: What does it look like?

Mecha history: Is it loved or feared? Is it one of a kind or mass produced? Does it hold any significance to its pilot? How did it come into your pilot’s possession?

Weapons and equipment: Guns, swords, or even your bare hands. These are the things you most commonly hit things with, as well as any other points of interest like force fields or reflective armor or anything else you can think of.

Special attacks/weapons and finishing moves: Named attacks, hidden super weapons, super modes, or maybe just a really cool gun. Any type of big, important weapon or technique goes here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra Info-

Personal theme: A song you consider to be you pilot or mech’s personal theme song

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested.

EDIT: What should I put in the Sub-types section if the mech I'm imagining is a transformer that transforms into something that clearly isn't in the Sub-types section (eg: cars)?

Urbanliner said:
Interested.
EDIT: What should I put in the Sub-types section if the mech I'm imagining is a transformer that transforms into something that clearly isn't in the Sub-types section (eg: cars)?
Just "Transformer: Car/ and/or other forms" would work fine.

So I'm not 100% sure on this yet but I am considering putting forward something of a science vs magic theme as part of the story.

Like have the world split between 2 primary factions, that, ignoring all the ideological fluff more or less boil down to, this side makes gundam-esqe "Real" robots and this side produces "Super" robots through some fringe "science" that in practice might as well be magic.

So "real" robots vs "super" robots

INTERESTED! I actually have a pre-made Mecha and Pilot and im interested in the third idea honestly.

now im pretty interested in that idea of real vs super....but i feel that the reals are in a small disadvantage compared to the super.

Yonsisac said:
INTERESTED! I actually have a pre-made Mecha and Pilot and im interested in the third idea honestly.
now im pretty interested in that idea of real vs super....but i feel that the reals are in a small disadvantage compared to the super.
Maybe. But think of it this way, For every chest laser or Big Bang punch the "real" genre has answered with some "tachyon beam" or just straight up using nukes. Which usually produce similar results despite different means.

And while Gurren Lagann is kind of the poster child for super robots these days we have to remember that end game Gurren Lagann wasn't just the original machine, but rather a combination of about half a dozen gunmen, one of which was actually a ship the size of the moon containing hundreds of thousands of people in its own right and primarily powered by a man who alone had more will power than all the species of the universe combined.

I don't think anyone is going to start off at that level.

And failing that, the breakdown is usually- Reals rely on high speed, supers rely on heavy armor.

HEATS said:
Maybe. But think of it this way, For every chest laser or Big Bang punch the "real" genre has answered with some "tachyon beam" or just straight up using nukes. Which usually produce similar results despite different means.
And while Gurren Lagann is kind of the poster child for super robots these days we have to remember that end game Gurren Lagann wasn't just the original machine, but rather a combination of about half a dozen gunmen, one of which was actually a ship the size of the moon containing hundreds of thousands of people in its own right and primarily powered by a man who alone had more will power than all the species of the universe combined.

I don't think anyone is going to start off at that level.

And failing that, the breakdown is usually- Reals rely on high speed, supers rely on heavy armor.
I see now makes much more seans now thank you just was wondering about the topic, so now i read this seems my bot would be a super as he is slow as a snail (in the main aspect)

bunt thanks i shall begin creating CS

Yonsisac said:
I see now makes much more seans now thank you just was wondering about the topic, so now i read this seems my bot would be a super as he is slow as a snail (in the main aspect)
bunt thanks i shall begin creating CS
Cool. I got some stuff to do but the rp thread proper should be up later tonight.

Hi there, saw this, fan of the genre. I'd support anything freer than "imitate X or Y setting", but here's a few things to consider:

If you're going to do a SRW game, realize that the people behind them actually put a noticeable effort into tying all of the disparate worlds and stories together in a more or less cohesive manner. There's a method to it and a certain cleverness, and unless you put in a good deal of work and possibly limit the shows people can use to avoid constantly adding more universes every time a player brings something in, it's gonna wind up feeling janky and disconnected.

I'd get rid of the whole real robot/super robot section of the character sheet. It's a very artificial split, first introduced in SRW to separate roles between dodgy units with small but reliable damage output vs tanky units with powerful but limited use attacks. Genre-wise, it's essentially thematic, no bipedal giant robot is particularly realistic. It all just winds up cluttering the CS. If people describe their mecha and their abilities properly you can tell what they are and to what side they lean towards.

I'm not sure a split between real and super factions is the best call, I mean, Mazinger's own things have been explained since day 1 for example. It has a specific, established powersource that makes it superior, a reason why its armor is so good, established ways its weapons work. The only difference between Mazinger and RX-78s minovsky magical reactor that allows for poorly explained kill everything beams is that Gundam's weapon is in the shape of a gun instead of a built-in mechanism.

edit: I guess a setting where different organizations pursue different design ideals could work. You have one that produces "super"-type, more outlandish and essentially one of a kind machines but also one that has access to different technologies and values mass production with only a few models being PC-tier and whatnot. Can probably throw more in like adding one that deals in sort of EVA-type pilotable kaiju and so on. It just doesn't feel like its the best call to force players to pick a side based on their favorite robot aesthetic.

Count me in.

But I wanna do OC DONUT STEELS just for the sake of freedom and it cuts down on TTGL memeing

Zerohex said:
Hi there, saw this, fan of the genre. I'd support anything freer than "imitate X or Y setting", but here's a few things to consider:
If you're going to do a SRW game, realize that the people behind them actually put a noticeable effort into tying all of the disparate worlds and stories together in a more or less cohesive manner. There's a method to it and a certain cleverness, and unless you put in a good deal of work and possibly limit the shows people can use to avoid constantly adding more universes every time a player brings something in, it's gonna wind up feeling janky and disconnected.

I'd get rid of the whole real robot/super robot section of the character sheet. It's a very artificial split, first introduced in SRW to separate roles between dodgy units with small but reliable damage output vs tanky units with powerful but limited use attacks. Genre-wise, it's essentially thematic, no bipedal giant robot is particularly realistic. It all just winds up cluttering the CS. If people describe their mecha and their abilities properly you can tell what they are and to what side they lean towards.

I'm not sure a split between real and super factions is the best call, I mean, Mazinger's own things have been explained since day 1 for example. It has a specific, established powersource that makes it superior, a reason why its armor is so good, established ways its weapons work. The only difference between Mazinger and RX-78s minovsky magical reactor that allows for poorly explained kill everything beams is that Gundam's weapon is in the shape of a gun instead of a built-in mechanism.

edit: I guess a setting where different organizations pursue different design ideals could work. You have one that produces "super"-type, more outlandish and essentially one of a kind machines but also one that has access to different technologies and values mass production with only a few models being PC-tier and whatnot. Can probably throw more in like adding one that deals in sort of EVA-type pilotable kaiju and so on. It just doesn't feel like its the best call to force players to pick a side based on their favorite robot aesthetic.
Intersting. But some counterpoints. Most of the people in either of the threads have voted in favor of a unique setting, so we aren't doing the SRW multiverse thing anyway.

And as for the aesthetic thing, I gave it some thought and decided I want to do it regardless. I want the sides to feel unique rather than just be a complete free for all. I've been writing up some info for the setting itself and my hope is that the pilots on either side will feel as different as the robots themselves.

Essentially the "real" robot faction will be something of a world government type organization with much more man power, trained soldiers, and mass industry that allows them to rely more on production models

The "Super" faction will be more of a rebel alliance, with a more disjointed power base that has to rely on these super prototypes that vary wildly in design.

Similarly the Government faction's pilots will be more in line with ace pilots, often field testing the newest and greatest the faction has to offer while the Rebel faction will be more of a rag tag team type of thing.

Or at least that's how it plays out in my head.

As for Eva and Kaiju. I don't know. Maybe? Right now it might be best to just keep to 2 factions and add more as we go along if it feels necessary.

HEATS said:
Intersting. But some counterpoints. Most of the people in either of the threads have voted in favor of a unique setting, so we aren't doing the SRW multiverse thing anyway.
And as for the aesthetic thing, I gave it some thought and decided I want to do it regardless. I want the sides to feel unique rather than just be a complete free for all. I've been writing up some info for the setting itself and my hope is that the pilots on either side will feel as different as the robots themselves.

Essentially the "real" robot faction will be something of a world government type organization with much more man power, trained soldiers, and mass industry that allows them to rely more on production models

The "Super" faction will be more of a rebel alliance, with a more disjointed power base that has to rely on these super prototypes that vary wildly in design.

Similarly the Government faction's pilots will be more in line with ace pilots, often field testing the newest and greatest the faction has to offer while the Rebel faction will be more of a rag tag team type of thing.

Or at least that's how it plays out in my head.

As for Eva and Kaiju. I don't know. Maybe? Right now it might be best to just keep to 2 factions and add more as we go along if it feels necessary.
To be honest as i read this i thought of your last post, i think its best each faction dint have specific machinery properties such as the Real being faster and the Super being stronger,what if some one wants to create a Heavy Goliath base in a military look but cant as only the supers can be heavy....i am thus confused

Yonsisac said:
To be honest as i read this i thought of your last post, i think its best each faction dint have specific machinery properties such as the Real being faster and the Super being stronger,what if some one wants to create a Heavy Goliath base in a military look but cant as only the supers can be heavy....i am thus confused
Yeah. I think I'm having trouble explaining what I'm going for. Give me a second and I'll try to string it all together in a way that is coherent enough.

Super and Real are worthless terms outside of SRW.

It's what Zero said: Reals are your blink tanks that dodge and use regular attack for their damage over specials and Supers are the opposites Tanky guys with a crapton of hard hitting specials that are limited per use. Which is how SRW treats them as units, which is utterly meaningless in a freeform environment where everything is narrative fiat.

Unless you're gonna have some sort of tabletop roleplay SRW adaptation the names don't matter.

HEATS said:
Yeah. I think I'm having trouble explaining what I'm going for. Give me a second and I'll try to string it all together in a way that is coherent enough.
well alright, reason i ask is im making my CS a military elite pilot but i must make sure about Mech aspect

Ok. How about this. We'll drop the Super vs Real aspect in its entirety since it doesn't seem to do much except cause problems. However I still want to figure out a way to have 2 distinct factions with unique enough looks while still allowing people to theme there robot however they like.

What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back