• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Mass Effect-like role play interest check and brain storm ^-^

hEMbo

Back from the dead
Damn that's a long title, and it basically says it all. i want a roleplay fixed around a crew of inter-species soldiers who are out to save the universe for whatever reason, But Im having a hard time coming up with a good plot. So does anybody have any good ideas?

Would you want it to be the ME universe specifically, or simply in that style?

Hrm. ME used one of the oldest sci-fi stories ever, so give me a moment...

Could go with the classic Grey Goo scenario. A culture perfects an artificial intelligence, gives it a seemingly simple instruction, and the intelligence promptly begins using nanomachines to convert all available materials into more processing power.

Queue the rest of the galaxy proceeding as normal until this consuming mechanical swarm-entity becomes detectable (since it's essentially an ever-expanding block of computational infrastructure).

Our Heroes have to find a way to stop it amid political conflicts and old grudges, then being faced with the revelation that the intelligence is internally simulating another universe. Do they destroy that one to save their own, or is a compromise possible?

Yes, I'd be interested!

The only problem is that in order to gather a crew to save THE UNIVERSE, it will inevitably get cliche at some point.

I suggest focusing on smaller missions, such as saving a planet (or something alont those lines), which would not only give better RP as to the captain trying to get these badasses multi-racial soldiers into a smaller sized conflict, but would help it feel more original and fleshed out.

Still, I played all the ME and I'm absolutely fine with the plot (except for 3, but, you know), so, it's up to you.

But I want to join it regardless :)

I would love to participate in something like this. (Mass Effect was awesome. I can't wait until Dragon Age Inquisition comes out.)

I would be very interested in a role play of this sort! I've always loved the interstellar. I also have to agree with @Aratani on the smaller missions, more fleshed out and intricate plot line.

I'll join, sorry If I can't help with brainstorming at the moment due to lack of sleep but I'll be happy to help as well

I'm down, my suggestion would be an invading race from another galaxy, perhaps a hive mind insectoid species that traverses the universe looking for resources and potential colonies, to colonize the worlds they wish to inhabit they kill off all native sentient life on the planet before sending down their hordes. Their race could have several classes, a lower level drone controlled by the hive and then more unique and independent members of the species, each with their own capabilities as they have the ability to mutate when they eat a member of another species, essentially splicing their DNA with the DNA of another race to inherit valuable traits, that would give us a lot of room to create interesting and challenging enemies as each one we face would have vastly different powers than the last one. Their armies would be controlled by a small group of gifted psychics who would merge minds and form one hive brain that would control their drones and order their lieutenants (the unique mutating ones I mentioned) so we would have one objective to keep things relatively straightforward. Also I like the idea of the political tension between the races we would play as. This calamity would force warring races to put off their wars and come together and forget their differences for a time which would create some really interesting inter species tensions as foot soldiers and officers who were fighting each other a few months ago now need to stand side by side as allies.

As I mentioned earlier, I would rather see a smaller conflict taking place.

Maybe a group of mercenaries that start enslaving the local population, organ traffic or even a disease that is affecting lots of planets, and the cure lies on a substance only produced by this certain race (this would also work in favor of the moral choice, as you would need to take a stand on either mass massacre for the good of others or to protect their right to live) Something that really is only a problem to that specific planet (Maybe even a benefit to others, as some could be buying those slaves or even curing themselves from the disease).

Not only does it make the plot more interesting, it would help to make it feel more organic and thoughtful, as the decisions taken by the crew would affect the destiny of a race.

How about a strange alien, never before encountered, that's around the size of a small ship and 'swims' through space. It generates a psychic scream as it searches for a mate, but if it passes too near a planet it causes irreparable psychological damage? It's practically an animal, no malice in its actions, but undoubtedly dangerous. Maybe it's approaching a cosmospolitan planet from which the characters hail, and they have to find a solution to the impending disaster.

Throw in some personal troubles and grudges, a bit of political unrest, and you've got a solid backdrop and timeline for events. Not too large scale, but appropriately dramatic and weird.

Aratani said:
As I mentioned earlier, I would rather see a smaller conflict taking place.
Maybe a group of mercenaries that start enslaving the local population, organ traffic or even a disease that is affecting lots of planets, and the cure lies on a substance only produced by this certain race (this would also work in favor of the moral choice, as you would need to take a stand on either mass massacre for the good of others or to protect their right to live) Something that really is only a problem to that specific planet (Maybe even a benefit to others, as some could be buying those slaves or even curing themselves from the disease).

Not only does it make the plot more interesting, it would help to make it feel more organic and thoughtful, as the decisions taken by the crew would affect the destiny of a race.
Im sorry, I know it will be extremely cheesy but i kind of like cheesy and cliche and all that xD .

but I am so glad at the reception Im getting! I think Im going to go with a mixture of @HunterJJ & @Grey 's ideas. So Im going to set this up, but Its going to take a while because Im going to be really busy today. I will tag you all in the new thread when it's up.

No need to tag me. I don't really do freeform, I just wanted to see if I could provide some useful ideas. Appreciated, though.

HunterJJ said:
I'm down, my suggestion would be an invading race from another galaxy, perhaps a hive mind insectoid species that traverses the universe looking for resources and potential colonies, to colonize the worlds they wish to inhabit they kill off all native sentient life on the planet before sending down their hordes. Their race could have several classes, a lower level drone controlled by the hive and then more unique and independent members of the species, each with their own capabilities as they have the ability to mutate when they eat a member of another species, essentially splicing their DNA with the DNA of another race to inherit valuable traits, that would give us a lot of room to create interesting and challenging enemies as each one we face would have vastly different powers than the last one. Their armies would be controlled by a small group of gifted psychics who would merge minds and form one hive brain that would control their drones and order their lieutenants (the unique mutating ones I mentioned) so we would have one objective to keep things relatively straightforward. Also I like the idea of the political tension between the races we would play as. This calamity would force warring races to put off their wars and come together and forget their differences for a time which would create some really interesting inter species tensions as foot soldiers and officers who were fighting each other a few months ago now need to stand side by side as allies.
I love this idea, but I think it would work better with dice rolling. I would be up this being a dice rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back