• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Looking for rp in an original, dark fantasy world (1x1, M/F, M/M, Longterm) [The Ails of Valahurst]

King Deo

The Ails of Valahurst
Sorrows of the Mircrows

Chassendorr.jpg
The Warm Land, Valahurst, as it is known. Affixed at the equator of a world swallowed in vast, empty ocean, it is the anchor upon which the mortal world arises. Despite this, it is said that all civilized life came to the Warm Land from the North, the axis of the world capped in ice. The only race with a history to back their claim of origin in Valahurst are the Mircrows: Gaunt, feather-cloaked folk who wear nigh but their shadowy wings over their frail frames. Their culture and traditions span the entirety of the known past, and although a primordial and nomadic kind they may be, essential are they to the vitality of the land.

With tensions rising between the six kingdoms occupying the land of Valahurst, war seems inevitable. Alliances form and fall as quickly as the sun rises and then vanishes over the horizon. Yet, just as the world comes to its brink, the Mircrows suddenly begin falling to a mysterious illness. As they deteriorate, so too does the land around them. Some speculate that it is a plague, but the disease seems to corrupt and twist the very essence of the soul. Others claim that it is magic, while many believe it is damnation sentenced from the Archdivine above. No matter the cause, its spread overshadows all other aspects of life within the six kingdoms of Valahurst.

As it is said, there are six kingdoms which have arisen within the course of time in the Warm Lands. They are as listed here:

Halandrael, home to the clerical pilgrim folk of the Old Faith.

Vaelstorr, land of the rugged Northmen.

Aevhorrow, inhabited by the Grave Elves, whom serve the Lord of the First Tomb.

Spaerlyth, the vast garden region of Valahurst, where dwell the winged Alfae.

Tessendrael, the holy capitol of God's servants.

And Chassendorr, the kingdom at the Mouth of Hell.

Surely, if one of these kingdoms were to cure the ailments of the Mircrows, or perhaps harness its power, they would be guaranteed to survive the Inevitable War. With tensions between the six kingdoms higher than ever, the fate of Valahurst, and the mortals inhabiting its soil, will rest entirely on the shoulders of a few.

• Tessendrael:
    Considered to be the largest kingdom in Valahurst, both in terms of landmass and populace. Tessendrael was one of the first kingdoms to form in the Warm Lands, and has a history nearly as old as that of the nomadic Mircrows. Its settlers were originally human, though contact with the Archdivine allowed the rulers of this land to transcend their humanity, becoming beings much closer to the divine called Solaelves. More commonly known by the monicker of Sun Elves, the rulers and lords of Tessendrael worship and interpret the will of the Archdivine. Through a societal classing system known as their Holy Hierarchy, they enforce their edicts with an iron fist upon the human populace under their jurisdiction. It is known that within the shadows of Tessendrael's capitol (called Tessenborough), exist vast dungeons, where dissenters and heretics are locked away and sentenced to a life of torture and grueling labour. It is even rumored that these dungeons extend so far beneath the surface of the capitol that they end up intersecting the depths of Chassendorr. However, one who is caught uttering such blasphemy will more likely than not wind up in those dungeons themselves.

Removed from the dungeons, the capitol is a place of sprawling ivory towers, many of which interconnect in their higher stories through a series of bridges, both open and sheltered. At these heights, level with the clouds, exists the royalty of Tessendrael and the ruling class. Beneath the bridged heights, the rest of the towers are inhabited by the noble class. The royal and noble classes are reserved for the Sun Elves, while outside, the rest of the city is occupied by the wealthiest of the kingdom's humans. At best, humans may become village lords, whereby they are granted the rights to a village's economic prospects, in exchange for managing that village's peasants and resources. The villages outside the walls of Tessenborough are where dwell the peasants and the rest of the common rabble. The only humans who will ever see the inside of one of Tessenborough's towers are servants born from the wealthiest merchants just outside, or the most daring of criminals. Otherwise, even the highest class of servants are made up entirely of Sun Elves, and it is believed that no human has ever been to the highest floors of the towers.

• Halandrael:
    North of the heart of Valahurst, where lies Tessendrael, a perilous mountain range divides the Warm Lands from the icy, northernmost region where the Northmen reside. Here live the once-humble pilrgrim folk of the Old Faith, in a kingdom called Halandrael. Once, the followers of the Old Faith lived comfortably within the walls of Tessenborough, even inhabiting a bulk of the noble class through a significant period of time. But after the Sun Elves emerged and assumed the ruling class, the Old Faith was rebranded as blasphemous, and its followers were either killed, exiled from the kingdom, or disappeared into the harrowing dungeons beneath the capitol. Those who were exiled made pilgrimage to what they now call the Halandrael range, the mountains north of Tessendrael. Though they call the mountains their home and kingdom, their core belief necessitates pilgrimage throughout the Warm Lands, and thusly, they are considered by many to be transients, nearly nomadic in nature like the Mircrow. However, foreigners whom venture into the heart of Halandrael will still have to heed to a body of law, though it is one enforced with methods far from the harsh punishments known in Tessendrael.

The core dividing principal between the Old Faith and the Followers of the Archdivine is the interpretation of God's will. While the hierarchy of Tessendrael sees God's will as a call to act upon the world, the Old Faith holds that God's will is in the existence of his creation itself. The pilgrim folk believe in a commitment to fate, that all will play out as He sees, and that mortal interests are negligible to the course of the future. Thus, rather than tend to the lands in the mountains and shape its geography for resource, they venture to other kingdoms in pilgrimage, where they use Divine Scripture to enact miracles in exchange for food, materials, and livestock.

• Vaelstorr:
    Beyond the mountains of Halandrael lies the frozen tundra and icy shelves of Vaelstorr. Despite the common held belief that Tessendrael was the first mortal kingdom to arise in Valahurst, the first people to arrive on the continent from the Northern Axis settled in Vaelstorr. Given that its settlers were mostly those whom were too weary to venture south over the mountains after journeying across the sea, it took nearly a century after Tessendrael arose for it to become a full-fledged kingdom. Up until then, the folk who resided their mainly stuck to small fishing villages, but eventually learned to farm the hardy plant life that managed to grow in such frozen climate. This led to an agrarian revolution, allowing the people who came to be known as the Northmen to erect a kingdom of their own. Vaelstorr gets its namesake from the word 'Vael', which is theirs for 'Fort' in common tongue, and the Spirit of the North which they worship, known as Storrhyal. It is this spirit they believe instilled within them the ability to brave the cold, and develop a civilization within it.

Vaelstorr's most pressing issue is not its lack of resources, but the difficulty of resisting greener pastures. With each generation, more and more Northmen migrate into the southern kingdoms, enticed by the promise of the Warm Lands and the prosperity it might bring. In order to mitigate this, the 'Aulfurr' (or 'Father') of Vaelstorr decreed that the pilgrims of the Old Faith from Halandrael be barred entry into their kingdom, believing them to be largely responsible for the migration of the Northmen out of his kingdom. This has sparked great tension between the two states, due to the pilgrim's reliance to their close neighbor for the hardy crops they farm within the tundra.

• Aevhorrow:
    The Sun Elves of Tessendrael are not the only elves born from mankind. To the East of their kingdom lies the vastly unwelcoming kingdom of Aevhorrow. It is said that long ago, an Occult following split off from the Old Faith and ventured deep into the eastern bog, and were thought to have become lost in its eternally settled mists. However, it was eventually revealed that they had discovered a tomb at the heart of the swamp lands. Having ventured in, they learned of a vast wealth of ancient treasures inside the tomb, and a coffin forged from stone blacker and harder than obsidian. Within the coffin lied the corpse of one more ancient than known time. The Occult following sought wisdom and enrichment from the tomb, and in their daring effort, unleashed a curse which turned the settled mists into a potent toxin. Not one member of the following survived, all of them perishing at or near the heart of the swamp. Not long after, the mists seemed to return to normal, and only after then, did they all resurrect from the dead. They had taken on new forms, with ash-colored skin and eyes black as the coffin which had cursed them. Along with this transformation came a sensitivity to light, which if exposed to, could cause boils and blisters upon their bodies in a manner of minutes. Thus confined to the shrouded swamplands, they called their new home Aevhorrow, and dubbed themselves the Grave Elves.

The Grave Elves have a connection to the coffin-bound corpse within the tomb, and have come to call it the Lord of the First Tomb. It is their belief that the one inside the tomb is the God of Death itself, and that it is through them he acts upon the world. Grave Elves are a distinct race, not only for their appearance, but for the fact that their cycle of reproduction is almost antithetical to the standard. When a Grave Elf perishes, he is buried, and in his grave, the aspects of his masculinity and femininity diverge, arising reborn as two beings. They do not seem to have an aging process either, rising fully grown from the grave from which they were born. Due to their bizarre and macabre nature, many of the other kingdoms blame them for the ailment of the Mircrows. Some, however, are not so certain, for they know the nature of the Grave Elves to be quite introverted, and uninterested in the affairs of the world outside Aevhorrow.

• Spaerlyth:
    Occupying the western and southern regions of Valahurst is the kingdom of the Alfae, Spaerlyth. The Alfae, much like the elves, were once thought to be human, though their real origin is murky when compared to the other races. Some have speculated that humans once ventured into the massive forest lands of Spaerlyth, only to become Alfae, while others believe the Alfae were already there, and viciously wiped out any humans who tried to settle in the kingdom. Regardless, the Alfae claim to have no connection to mankind, and their account of history is seldom to be found within the pages of any book. Instead, their culture and traditions are passed down through folklore and song, both of which are often too cryptic for the average outsider to correctly interpret. The Alfae are both short and lithe when compared to other races, and their defining feature is the set of wings they all sport. These wings are crystalline in texture, though appear to be more flexible than gemstone.

The Alfae have a reputation for being tricksters. They are often very carefree, and love a good prank. This meshes well their tendency to pass along knowledge and information by word of mouth, rather than through books and letters. Spaerlyth remains a near complete mystery to the kingdoms outside its borders, for those who attempt to explore and uncover its secrets are often left more confused at the end of their expedition than when they went in. Due to this, they are also prime suspects for catalyzing the ailment of the Mircrows. After all, the Alfae, by all accounts, are experts in the use of magic, which has allowed them to thrive in the vast forests of Spaerlyth without having to construct great cities or engage in much agricultural effort. Other than their wings, their magic, and their attitude, other distinguishable traits include freckles which vary from bronze to silver in color, almost appearing as glitter on their skin, and their wide, curious eyes.

• Chassendorr:
    To the South of Aevhorrow, and East of Spaerlyth, there separates the two kingdoms a towering crag. At the base of the crag exists a ravine which spans its entire length and beyond. The ravine burrows far beneath the earth, as deep as the distance between land and the highest clouds. Underground, it sprawls out into a vast network of tunnels and caverns. From the top of the crag to the depths of the ravine, this geography defines the kingdom of Chassendorr. While it is the smallest of the kingdoms on its surface, the ravine over which it looks is known throughout all kingdoms as the Mouth of Hell.

Famously, it came to be known as such when long ago, a pilgrim from Halandrael ventured there, and explored the ravine to the greatest depths he could manage. Though he made it out, he returned to Tessendrael instead of his home in the northern mountains, for what he'd seen in that ravine left him shook to his core. He gave dozens of accounts, written and verbal, of a kingdom which stretched down into the depths of Hell itself, and in which dwelled a race of demons who called themselves the Chassen'fel. Strangely enough, he had been welcomed by those people, in what seemed to him like an uncharacteristic gesture of good will. For what he'd seen, they thought would inspire the world, and to an extent, they were right. The vast majority of Chassen'fel were slaves, subject by their own lords to labor so harsh it rendered their flesh to more scars than skin. Through the appearance of the ruling lords, he could tell that when untortured, their skin varied in hues of red, from that which impressed him of fire to shades so dark it more resembled embers and coal. Their eyes seemed to radiate a sickly yellow, and a crown of small horns took the place of hair. Sometimes, they'd have a pair around the middle of the crown, above both ears, which rose far higher than the rest, curling inward towards the tops of their skulls at the ends. He noted, too, that they seemed able to share thoughts amongst themselves, though to what degree this ability permeated among their kind, he had no clue.

While the other five kingdoms remain cautious of Chassendorr, no one has ever come up with an honest account of seeing one of the Chassen'fel outside its borders. Many brave and curious people have ventured to the Mouth of Hell, for built around the ravine and into the walls of the great crag are the more civilized areas of the state. the upper class of the Chassen'fel claim to have no interest in the affairs of the rest of the world, and do not seem to even know who the Mircrows are, much less of their plight. Due, however, to their rumored telepathic abilities, their accounts aren't exactly trusted by most. And such telepathy they'll either affirm or deny, but never will they prove its existence to anyone outside their own.

Hello! Whether you've taken the time and read through this post, or are checking this section out first, thank you for stopping by! I'm a 23 year old guy from Oregon, and I've been in the online rp scene since 2013. It's a favorite past time of mine, especially when I have a really good one going, and that's what I'm hoping to achieve with this submission. Some facts about me:
  • Video games are my life. Nothing special I know haha, but everybody's got their preferred form of media. You might have picked up some hints if you've read through the Introduction and the In-Depth sections of this post, but Dark Souls, and more broadly Fromsoftware in general is my all-time favorite series.
  • Music is a close second! My love for music came from OSTs in video games and movies I grew up with, but my taste has branched out into many, many genres throughout my life. Metal, folk, psychedelic rock, electro-swing, and of course orchestral scores make up some of my favorites. I also play guitar in a completely uneducated manner, but have been doing so for over a decade so... I'm aight.
  • Pot friendly! Weird one I know, but you did read the word 'Oregon' earlier so I might as well make it clear. If you like to smoke up and talk about all things MJ, that's chill as hell. However, I also respect you 100% if you're averse to the idea and use of cannabis, and won't bring it up if that's the case.
  • THIS ONE IS A LITTLE IMPORTANT! You might get the impression with everything above that I write novellas. I don't. Typically, my posts average 1-2 paragraphs, though lately I do lean more towards 2. I'm not limited to that, and I can write a lot more if I feel the need arises. That being said, write as much as you want, with one exception! One-liners. I understand if it happens once every now and then, but I prefer to rp with people who are as passionate to build a world and a story as much as I am. If your replies are only averaging a line or two of text per post, it becomes hard for me to believe that you're really that interested.
  • More of a question if anyone cares to answer. Does doubling refer to rp'ing as more than one character in a given rp? Because I totally do that, a lot. I've never heard the term outside this website, haha. Anyways, I do tend to rp and introduce multiple characters as the story progresses, and obviously, some end up more fleshed out than others, but with the premises I create, it feels impossible to just stick to one. You're welcome to rp as many characters as you want as well!
  • Final note (for now). Romance in rp is always welcome, so long as it doesn't become the sole focus of the story. I'm bisexual, but I do lean more towards straight pairings. That being said, I did just mention that I play multiple characters, and that means multiple pairings are always allowed to! If you'd prefer to leave it out, that's cool too, so if you have a preference, do inform me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back