• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Looking for a Mr. Rochester

Lcalhoun

A bright good day to you all. I know I’ve already posted a coupe of threads, so please forgive this third. I just thought I would make a new one since I’m looking for a pretty specific role play right now.

I would love to do a modernized version of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Of all the “classics,” I feel I’ve never really seen an updated version of this and I feel it lends itself rather well to modernization.

My ideal partner is at least 18 years old and literate. Knowledge of the novel is a bonus, but I’ll settle for knowledge of the movies or BBC miniseries (I’ve only seen the most recent adaptation starring Mia Wasikowski and Michael Fassbender).

The role play doesn’t have to follow the original story exactly, as I’m aware that there are some things that would be impossible to hide in today’s world, but I’m not crazy enough to think that I can improve upon such a beautifully written book.

Ideally, I would like to play the titular character (chvaracters do not have to have the same names as in the novel), so I am looking for someone to play the Mr. Rochester role. Doubling and sometimes tripling as smaller characters, such as Adele and Mrs. Fairfax at first and later Mr. St. John and his sisters is a must.

Please post here or PM me if you are interested in indulging my craving for classical literature!

I've never actually thought of a modernized version of this - but it sounds very intriguing! I'm over 18, literate and have read the novel some time back (I should probably re-read it, just in case.) The first adaptation of the novel I saw, was the 1983 television miniseries with Timothy Dalton as Mr. Rochester. Then followed the 1996 and 1997 productions, although my FAVORITE has always been the 2011 version with Mia Wasikowska in the title role. Not sure if this means I'm interested, but I am definitely intrigued and curious. What do you visualize as a 'setting' for this modernized version?

I've never actually thought of a modernized version of this - but it sounds very intriguing! I'm over 18, literate and have read the novel some time back (I should probably re-read it, just in case.) The first adaptation of the novel I saw, was the 1983 television miniseries with Timothy Dalton as Mr. Rochester. Then followed the 1996 and 1997 productions, although my FAVORITE has always been the 2011 version with Mia Wasikowska in the title role. Not sure if this means I'm interested, but I am definitely intrigued and curious. What do you visualize as a 'setting' for this modernized version?

I’m not entirely sure, really. I would like to keep it as true to the original as possible, obviously, but, as I said, I’m very aware that there are some situations in the novel that are impossible to duplicate in the modern era.

I’m currently attempting this in another role play and, at least thus far, it seems to be going well. I imagine Mr. Rochester as a business mogul and Adele his spoiled daughter — let’s face it, no one has wards anymore. Jane I imagine as being raised and taught in a school for “wayward” children run by a convent, though she never took her vows, and where she later became an educator.

As for physical setting, I imagine either a sprawling countryside, where Mr. Rochester lives on a vast estate, or, depending on what we decide to do with his wife, an upscale penthouse in the middle of a metropolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back