Advice/Help How to curate for a group RP?

Jeane

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I'm interested in creating a group RP at some point, but I'm not sure if I want it to be first come, first served. What would other DMs suggest for curating the players that join your game? Have you just plucked out a few players from those who made characters? Are there specific rules that you put in place beyond the general, "Don't be a dick"? Any methods you use to either attract or proactively decide the player group that you're comfortable with.

I don't want to audition based on writing level/perceived writing quality: if it's between an experienced writer with a difficult personality or an inexperienced writer who's easier to communicate with, I'm picking the latter, right? I wouldn't want to integrate a long character app because I don't want to waste peoples' time in case I don't see them as being a good fit. Finally, I want to minimize any friction from turning someone down directly.

Wow, these are some excellent questions and things to think about!

My two cents in response:

-First come, first served is always a risky proposition, I think, simply because if you want to make sure you get the right players and the right group this approach gives you little or no control over that, so I'm always hesitant to use it unless the RP I'm going for has a really casual vibe.

-In terms of curating and attracting the types of players you want, I think a lot of that will be down to how you present the RP in your Interest Check, including the rules you decide to set up, which I view as the first part of the selection process since players aren't going to join an RP where one or more rules don't jive for them (unless they aren't reading the rules).

Certain things you can add to the rules (again, all depending on what you're looking for in players) are: expected frequency for posting, expected length or content of posts, OOC communication, no auto-hitting or god-modding or meta-gaming, collaborations, etc.

-A think a short and basic character application usually does the trick (some basic information on the type of character they're going for and that character's motivation will generally suffice), and then simply having a stated dated for when applications close and you notify accepted players tends, in my experience, to lessen the need for any 'You have not been chosen' messages, though if someone asks why their character was not selected I believe it is fine to give a neutral and objective explanation without things devolving into any unnecessary unpleasantness.

-And if you're more concerned with who you're going to be playing with than how they write, you can include a section in the application asking the players what they like and what they are like in roleplays to test general compatibility.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the RP! ^^

Way back in the dinosaur days when I did groups the application process was broken up into two parts.

Part one was a literal application. The top part was usually some information about the person :

How often can you post
Please link a writing sample/previous roleplay
What character role are you auditioning for

Then below that you had to write four sentences giving an elevator pitch for your character. What kind of personality they have, how they would fit into the story.

——-

An extra layer is a lot of times these were judged by the group at large. As that actually gives you a decent look at how people play well with others. What kind of feedback they are willing to give to potential players. (( granted the first applicant kinda has to go on vibes but the rest you can see how they interact with each other pre-roleplay ))

If you're looking for how well the writer fits with the rest of the group you could always create an OOC thread and/or Discord and then curate them based on how they act in that.

I'm not sure if I want it to be first come, first served. What would other DMs suggest for curating the players that join your game?
Hi!!

Well first come first served is good only if you just wanna get something up and running like reeeeeally fast, but sounds like you need a bit more nuance lol. I dont think you need to DM anyone directly to get them to join tho unless you like what you seen from them. But like for groups just use the general Int chk and have your:

Setting, plots, expectations and rules clearly stated.

Have you just plucked out a few players from those who made characters?
Yes, you should explicitly state that right away in the int chk. "This is not first come, first served. There is an application process whereby I will choose the charries best suited for the RP."

But then in OOC or the CS thread i suggest you state what those qualifiers are? Like what do you want from them as RPers and not just writers kinda deal.

Are there specific rules that you put in place beyond the general, "Don't be a dick"?
- Setting: are you open to RPers adding or like ad-libbing things in there? Is there a Magic/powers system? Stats or Dice or both?
- Plot: what is over arching plot if any? Are you open to rper led subplots? Will you draw from charrie bg? Are you going by chapters?
- Expectations: Post length/quality, Post frequency, penalty for not posting and how you handle it and how long you'd wait, 3rd person past tense or is 1st person okay?, OOC on RPN or Discord, How many rpers you want max?

Again this is for the Int chk. for a lore page you can add the details in there. And i suggest on ooc page re-state your rules.

Any methods you use to either attract or proactively decide the player group that you're comfortable with.
Int chk is short and snappy but tryna paint a pic of your vision regardless. Make your expectations clear. Clean code that is readable across phone or computer. (Add a plain text version regardless PLEASE!! lol) I always get a IC'ly writing sample

I don't want to audition based on writing level/perceived writing quality: if it's between an experienced writer with a difficult personality or an inexperienced writer who's easier to communicate with, I'm picking the latter, right? I wouldn't want to integrate a long character app because I don't want to waste peoples' time in case I don't see them as being a good fit. Finally, I want to minimize any friction from turning someone down directly.
I always ask for LINK to their IC'ly post sample. Why a link? Cuz then i can stalk their OOC and see if they nice or a dick to other rpers. If they new to the site then i guess that don't work and i'd just have to give em a chance. But don't limit your self by your own prefs and bias pls. just cast a net deep and wide cuz they all not gunna be a catch.

Like for instance if i do an int chk i always try to get double the amount of interest compared to the amount of rpers i want in the actual rp. Sooooo like say you want 5 rpers then tryna get 10 interests in the chk cuz trust me, HALF will flake on you. And even if you do get all 10, there is the initial 'Honeymoon is Over' drop off and rpers just leave or ghost for ANY reason. You will have a core of good ones and so do them a solid k? When you see the honeymoon is over phase, bump int chk right away.

Turning down someone is prolly prefferable if you wanna stick to your bias and prefs. Not a bad thing k? Cuz others do it and do it effectively. There are some int chks that absolutely blow up and they turn down rpers no prob. BUT they state right away that they will do so as an 'app selection process, so pls don't take it personally.' Most people reading that won't. And just making a 'concept app' with only basics is something that they do too to like fast track. But that's why IC samples are important cuz despite a wack concept, they may execute amaaaaaaazing IC'ly and you can see that they gold in the OOC. That and like you can work with them re: their concept until it can fit your rp.

BOOM. So anyways, welcome to RPN and hope that helps!

I'm thinking about adding a questionnaire to the interest check with questions like "Do you tend to plot heavily with other players, or do you prefer to write your posts independently?" And then I can give invitations to the OOC based on the responses to the questionnaire. I think it has the same energy as nerdy tangent's experience without having people feel judged or auditioned. I think that's a cynical way to view this hobby.

I'm still curious if others have curated their groups before. What did you do?

Or have you never felt the need to do so? I assume at some point you get to a point where you have a circle of people that are your RP friends, so I want to achieve that eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back