Advice/Help How do you get into rp?

ClownShoes

space cowboy, gangster of love, joker and smoker
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I know how the spirit of rp works, you play a character who's story you want to see to it's end whether or not its a happy or just ending. but how do you get into the mindset for roleplay? I havent roleplayed anything serious before and truthfully I am intimidated by how well read and thorough some of the RPers are on here.

Personally, I always use characters of mine that I've created for novels in some form. That motivates me. If you don't write novels, over time you may form attachments to your OCs that will allow you to "get in their heads" and feel motivated. I also have several ideas that I've done for 5 years or even more, so the ideas themselves help motivate me. I have one idea centered around an alien prison and a large quest and I've had just about every kind of craziness in it. I've had people play human OCs, aliens, robots, even had a talking dog once. I've done the RP for so long and have barely changed anything, but nobody has ever played it the same every time. It keeps it interesting and of course, gets me in the spirit.

That being said, it doesn't come naturally. Most people start with non-serious roleplay. At the very least, I doubt many people's first RPs are novella-style space operas with deep characters, intense tension, and immaculate world building.

All of this is to say you'll get there eventually. If I was in your shoes, I would approach people honestly and say you're trying to break into more serious roleplay, whatever that means to you. You'll grow and learn over time if it's what you wish to do. Most people here will be very patient.

I have role played for a long long time and I am still intimidated by how serious people are about it nowadays. 😅

I'll second Natasha, though less intimidation and more of:

The Dark Knight Fun GIF by Bombay Softwares

Maybe it's because at nearly 40 years old I've just learned to let things go and I very much enjoy my characters doing something stupid and making fun of them for it. Even a serious roleplay, however, should still be taken lightly OOC. The moment you click with a character to a story/setting, everything else will just fall into place.

My approach when it comes to RP is little different from that of writing any other story, excluding the necessary differences created by the medium (writing a story by yourself allows for different pacing and control than an exchange of posts. For example, I may not be able to wait for a more appropriate or dramatic timing to describe something about a location because I need to make my partner / players to be aware that thing is there to avoid contradictions). I am ultimately chiefly concerned with two things: What are the needs of the roleplay as a narrative and what are I and everyone involved in it looking to get out of it. I'd say a "seriously roleplaying mindset" would pretty much amount to exactly what it says on the tin - taking it seriously, not being frivolous, impulsive or flighty about it but taking a wider perspective into consideration: It's patience to accept the inevitable lows as initial hype dies out and as scenes cycle into set-up that is needed to pay-off and it's moderation to know what you can take on realistically, and to balance your wants and needs with those of others. It's being able to work with others in respectful, cooperative and proactive manner, seeking out to integrate their own characters and stories and support them, and at least by my preferred methods (though I recognize they are hardly universal) it's looking at how each posts fits into the wider contexts of story phases, arcs, set-up, worldbuilding and so on and so forth, seeking to make the post operate within its function.

Personally, I always use characters of mine that I've created for novels in some form. That motivates me. If you don't write novels, over time you may form attachments to your OCs that will allow you to "get in their heads" and feel motivated. I also have several ideas that I've done for 5 years or even more, so the ideas themselves help motivate me. I have one idea centered around an alien prison and a large quest and I've had just about every kind of craziness in it. I've had people play human OCs, aliens, robots, even had a talking dog once. I've done the RP for so long and have barely changed anything, but nobody has ever played it the same every time. It keeps it interesting and of course, gets me in the spirit.

That being said, it doesn't come naturally. Most people start with non-serious roleplay. At the very least, I doubt many people's first RPs are novella-style space operas with deep characters, intense tension, and immaculate world building.

All of this is to say you'll get there eventually. If I was in your shoes, I would approach people honestly and say you're trying to break into more serious roleplay, whatever that means to you. You'll grow and learn over time if it's what you wish to do. Most people here will be very patient.
thanks for the advice I'll be upfront about it with others. it's one of those feelings that you're not bringing as much to the figurative table as the other people.

My approach when it comes to RP is little different from that of writing any other story, excluding the necessary differences created by the medium (writing a story by yourself allows for different pacing and control than an exchange of posts. For example, I may not be able to wait for a more appropriate or dramatic timing to describe something about a location because I need to make my partner / players to be aware that thing is there to avoid contradictions). I am ultimately chiefly concerned with two things: What are the needs of the roleplay as a narrative and what are I and everyone involved in it looking to get out of it. I'd say a "seriously roleplaying mindset" would pretty much amount to exactly what it says on the tin - taking it seriously, not being frivolous, impulsive or flighty about it but taking a wider perspective into consideration: It's patience to accept the inevitable lows as initial hype dies out and as scenes cycle into set-up that is needed to pay-off and it's moderation to know what you can take on realistically, and to balance your wants and needs with those of others. It's being able to work with others in respectful, cooperative and proactive manner, seeking out to integrate their own characters and stories and support them, and at least by my preferred methods (though I recognize they are hardly universal) it's looking at how each posts fits into the wider contexts of story phases, arcs, set-up, worldbuilding and so on and so forth, seeking to make the post operate within its function.
I appreciate the advice, I understand what serious rp means, but I'm asking more so for how does one approach those much more experienced in rp when you're more novice.

no offense but I think both of us look at rp the same way in a sense of it's collaborative rather than trying to be more important than one another, which I appreciate someone else with a similar approach sharing how they would approach the topic

I'm less new to the topic itself, and more so figuring out public rp itself, and especially the "god I cant believe I made a crappy character" part of my own mindset to rp that keeps popping up in my noggin

thanks for the advice I'll be upfront about it with others. it's one of those feelings that you're not bringing as much to the figurative table as the other people.

NP. In my experience most RPrs are fine to RP with someone who is newer or less experienced in character design. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

but how do you get into the mindset for roleplay?
Hi!!

Ime it starts with charrie creation and connection.

Like when you make your charrie how invested are you in 'knowing them. Am I making a toy or a person? So much easier to rp charries that you know like how you know a person irl

Oh! And make sure you rping in the right damn world. How does the charrie fit the setting rather than how does setting fit my charrie? Oh and take a look at the other charries too. Is this gonna be fun to be in that roster?

Then do you know how you connect with them. Like think of your friends or family. What makes you stick around with them? Do you get that same feel with your charrie? So much easier to rp with a charrie that you connect with.

For me when I make a charrie I do inserts. Ever heard of self insert? Well I call it 'Familiar Inserts': people you know and insert them into a charrie. I base them on 3 people/personas: People I know and love, people that i dont like/annoy me and of course me! Yay!

I just feel like I rp charries better when I know who they based on. And I get a kick outta it too lol maybe give it a go too?

Boom. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back