Hearthstones and Underworld Manse

Forest Eyes

Do elemental manses and the accompanying Hearthstones exist in the Underworld? Or would non-Celestial manses in the Underworld instead reflect the corresponding corpse-element (Water to Blood, Fire to Pyreflame, etc)? I ask because it seems inappropriate to have a manse aspected to an element that doesn't exist where it was made, and Celestially aspected manses are supposed are supposed to be rare. The only thing problematic for having Corpse-Element aspected manses would be the Hearthstone effects, but most of those could probably just be converted from the corresponding element, maybe with a different explaination of how it works. For example, a Windhands Gemstone could explained as giving substance to prayers to deflect projectiles, rather than having it work via air. Thoughts?

All Manses in the Underworld have the Abyssal aspect, in part because they are all the prodcuts of negative geomancy, but mostly to prevent some n00b from coming up with any sort of ill-advised "OMG L33T UNDERW0RLD DRAG0N BL00DED D00DZ!" house rule.

All Manses in the Underworld have the Abyssal aspect' date=' in part because they are all the prodcuts of negative geomancy, but mostly to prevent some n00b from coming up with any sort of ill-advised "OMG L33T UNDERW0RLD DRAG0N BL00DED D00DZ!" house rule.[/quote']
LOL

I believe we have already seen the tragic consequences of the Avengers...

/cold

//so cold

///so very, very cold

Its almost scary seeing certain people agree. Still...they're also both right. On the otherhand, making an Abyssal aspected manse that has powers related to a dark reflection of a living manse that once stood where it does in the real world...that might be interesting. Like say, an opposite to the stone that makes it daylight that does the reverse...

Indeed, although all underworld manses are abyssal-aspected there's nothing stopping them doing similar things to their creation equivelants within their theme. In fact, I'd encourage it; if they exist because creation has seen a manse at that location for a few hundred years, they'll have the same construction but with different essence fuelling them.

You might say, given that fact, that many underworld demenses have manses that cannot channel their essence correctly because they are of the wrong aspect for their construction. Perhaps, however, the empowered Labyrinth in these demenses reaches out to 'tweak' the manse so that it functions?

It's an interesting theme to develop..

Remember though, underworld hearthstones generally don't work in creation. (Is it vice versa? I can't recall..)

I don't think so. Its been mentioned that living PCs in the Underworld have to rely on their Hearthstones for Essence recovery...though I don't remember whether that's been repeated in 2E.

Thought so...just don't remember where it's specifically stated. Then again, since the other IS stated, and I don't remember anything saying otherwise, then there'd be no reason to really doubt such, either.

I believe the 1E Abyssals book covers this. I assume 2E won't change it.

Tap, tap, tap

"Bloody Hearthstone; just 'cause I've entered Cecelyne does not mean I cannot have Adamant Skin!"

~FC.

Now that could be amusing to see...but doubtful it'd ever come up in my games even if it did happen... it's hard enough getting my players to TAKE Manse...mostly they only bother if they need a Heartstone to power their armor or weapon...never for you know, actually having a Heartstone. Which sucks...because it's fun to come up with cool Manses.

Then I bow to consensus with glee. Creation hearthstones work everywhere, underworld hearthstones less so.

The underworld manse background was purchased with the same cost as for creation manse, right? I wonder what the point was there. Even if it were a more efficient purpose, most people probably wouldn't bother with a hearthstone that only works in a world where you've few challenges anyway..

If you're careful, and if you're a necromancer.

Underworld Manse gave an Abyssal the same as Manse does for DBs, while if they took Manse they got them at the same cost as Solars, I think.

Now that could be amusing to see...but doubtful it'd ever come up in my games even if it did happen... it's hard enough getting my players to TAKE Manse...mostly they only bother if they need a Heartstone to power their armor or weapon...never for you know' date=' actually having a Heartstone. Which sucks...because it's fun to come up with cool Manses.[/quote']
If they only want power sources they should take arcanobezoirs. These brutally named little blighters are to be found in S&S; they are basically hearthstones without special powers, giving the essence recovery/artifact powering effects of a hearthstone of a rating two dots greater than they.

They are purchased as artifacts, and represent what we would regard as 'normal' means of power generation: instead of harnessing dragon lines and essence, an arcanobezoir might be powered by a series of windmills, a paddle-wheel over a whirlpool or a first age heat-exchanger sticking up out of the northern permafrost.

Effectively manses with no powers. Rated two dots less than their normal value as a result.

Perfect for powering stuff.

In fact... because arcanobezoir power stations are not based upon the ambient essence but instead upon normal kinetic energy or energy exchange, they'd effectively work the same no matter where they were built. In this manner the deathlords might gain incredible amounts of power in creation by building loads of stations powered by slave-ghosts, and handing out the abundant arcanobezoirs to their abyssal servants..

...or just make a level 20 arcanobezoir (there's no practical limit as I see it.. just wire them together) and use it as the power behind a city-destroying bomb.

Both approaches are viable.

Quiet you. Don't give them ideas. I have a hard enough time getting them to take Manse...too worried about being stuck in one place (while i like the idea of actually having a home...). ;) Though it is handy, might be a good way to keep a warstrider army on the move without wasting Geomantic resouces.

Though then again, I could always let them take such an artifact...and then make it a 5 minute battery...just to be mean. ;)

Like essence capacitors from the Alchemicals? You had to buy three seperate capacitors of the same rating and use an occilator with them just to achieve a constant flow of essence as with a hearthstone. Capacitors were a lame ass excuse for hearthstones for people in a world without applicable geomancy (what to do when your manse shifts and leaves?).

I suppose elder alchies have to depend on charms to enhance their essence recovery. Or invade creation and take their manses.

Samiel said:
If they only want power sources they should take arcanobezoirs. These brutally named little blighters are to be found in S&S; they are basically hearthstones without special powers, giving the essence recovery/artifact powering effects of a hearthstone of a rating two dots greater than they.
They are purchased as artifacts, and represent what we would regard as 'normal' means of power generation: instead of harnessing dragon lines and essence, an arcanobezoir might be powered by a series of windmills, a paddle-wheel over a whirlpool or a first age heat-exchanger sticking up out of the northern permafrost.

Effectively manses with no powers. Rated two dots less than their normal value as a result.

Perfect for powering stuff.
Samiel said:
In fact... because arcanobezoir power stations are not based upon the ambient essence but instead upon normal kinetic energy or energy exchange, they'd effectively work the same no matter where they were built. In this manner the deathlords might gain incredible amounts of power in creation by building loads of stations powered by slave-ghosts, and handing out the abundant arcanobezoirs to their abyssal servants..
...or just make a level 20 arcanobezoir (there's no practical limit as I see it.. just wire them together) and use it as the power behind a city-destroying bomb.

Both approaches are viable.
Quiet you. Don't give them ideas.
YOINK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back