Other Have you no idea you're in deep?

junedingo

fly? yes. land? no.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
There's a beat to the city. A flow. You can feel it walking along the street, the paved motorways acting as capillaries, the cars flowing through them, delivering people to whatever vital organ they needed to attend to. To someone who isn't familiar, it might seem messy, a raucous and inconsiderate stop motion set. To one mage though, its the same as a body, from head to toe a mystery in how a single heart, a single brain, can bring all of that chaos into a useful structure.

While most people are sensible, waking with the sun and sleeping with the moon, this mage has gotten his world turned around. The noon sunlight makes him sleepy, fills his bones with lethargy and tugs down at his limbs, makes his eyelids heavy and his thoughts dulled. Its become that the muggy nights are when he thinks clearly, or, at least clear enough to try and make reason of his current life.

A mage and a cop. That was already about as turned around as a human preferring night to day. Diurnal they were supposed to be, humans. But the city's heartbeat resonated most with his own at night, and he supposed, so did the naturally contradictory occupation. Mages didn't become cops, at least, not willingly. And even if they did, well, it wasn't because they were up to any good. Benicio wasn't entirely sure that he was actually up to good, but he liked to try to be good anyway. As he mused over what had become of his life, he thought maybe it was just that he was supposed to be mixed up from the beginning, what with a name Benicio and a face like his, blonde hair and hazel eyes, yet first understanding his words in Spanish before he knew English. He'd always thrown people off, even as a child, just living up to expectations and all that.

He stopped on a street corner, waiting for the light as traffic rushed past, the muggy summer evening heated further by the cars' exhaust, their passing pushing it against his face, making his hair dance lazily. He brought one hand up to his face, fingers brushing against his lip as he thought about the corner store just across from him. Thought about the cigarettes he was sure he could make out, lit there, just behind the counter.

The light changed then, and with it, he was able to avert his gaze. Even as he walked past, his fingertips itching for something to hold, he didn't flow like a moth to the promise of the florescent lights. He was able to walk on, not exactly ignoring the desire for a smoke, but letting it go unanswered for the moment. As it was, Benicio was usually buzzing with some kind of craving. Most mages blamed it on the magic that flowed from them, a detrimental excess of energy that ate at them whether they used the fuel or not. Every mage that Benicio knew answered to that demand, that prickling tingling skin unsettling static that made rational thought difficult. People joked about werewolves, about their hormonal animalistic ancestral ties, but surely those jokers didn't have a clue what it felt like with magic in your veins. Some nights, Benicio swore it was pulsating just there, under his fingernails like a bruise you couldn't stop pressing at, a scab on your lip you couldn't kip from licking just to taste the salt and iron. Mages he thought, they were the ones truly beholden to their instincts. Though, no, instincts wasn't the right word, it was something less neutral than that, something a little bit less good.

Following no path, he continued his walk, passing closed store fronts, busy lines of brightly dressed people heading into clubs, and dimly lit 24 hour restaurants. He was off the next two days, and that made it all the more difficult to head to his apartment to sleep. He wouldn't even be allowed back in the office if he tried to sneak in, would get turned right around and sent on his way. He was supposed to be taking the time to relax, but the short attempt he'd had of that, well, it had ended the same way it did every time. He felt more restless, more on edge. Benicio could have stayed home alone, drunk himself into a dreamless sleep, only to wake up to a torrential hangover and a sickly buzzing under his skin the next morning. He'd done that enough before to have figured out that even with practice, it wouldn't change the outcome. So, a walk around the city instead it was.

Plip.

Plip.

In the still winter night, the moon holds bright in the sky.

Plip plip.

Under the weight of the full moon, sitting upon its black velvet like an old, prestigious lord, the forest beneath it can hide nothing.

Shadows make stark outlines against the snow, fingers painting in charcoal across reflective white.

Plip plop.

The air is heavy but devoid of motion, like a vacuum without a breath. The crack of a twig under foot snaps, dry and dead like a sun bleached bird bone.

Plop.

Cold air stings a pair of lungs as they inhale, then hold, too stunned by the grizzly scene before them.

Red. So much of it, shiny, sparkling under the moonlight as the snow it coats freezes it, thickening the substance. Nearly as bright as the cloak hung on the nearby tree branch. A massive hulk of grey fur, limbs splayed unnaturally, one paw twitching.

Plop.

Another drop joins the mess below, encircling a pair of black boots. From where it had fallen, along a pale jawline, another drop of crimson prepares to descend. It never gets the chance to fall though, as a hand swipes it away, smearing the trail from a pair of lips along the back of a man's knuckles. Man, not monster, like the thing they were crouching above, because their eyes have an expression of regret, and monsters do not feel such things.

Both of them hear when the intruder finally starts to breathe again, quick hurried pants of it.

The man stands upright, not impressive, not terrible, instead the moon shining like a mocking halo behind him as he again uses the same hand to wipe at his face. As his palm falls away, a wry smile is revealed, showing teeth stained with the beastly corpse's blood.

"Told you I didn't need any help."

Kiki's Delivery Service AU, Stray Kids Felix X Chris New
"Oh sh-sh-shiiiiit!"

"Huh?" Chris looked up, confused, because it sounded like someone had just shouted a desperate curse across the town square at 7:30 in the morning.

When Chris noticed someone literally hurtling through the sky right at him, he cursed too. "Holy shit!"

He put his hands up just in time for them to collide into the broom-rider crashing directly into him, sending the both of them collapsing into the pile stacked chairs with a colossal clatter. Chairs were scattered as the two bodies tumbled into them, their wooden frames doing very little to ease the crash.

"Oh- oh no. Shit shit shit, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

Chris grunted, tried to sit up, started to say "I'm fine. . ." and then everything went black.

----------

"You've killed him." Jiji accused, watching with what could only be described as gleeful disinterest.

"Shut up, I did not." Felix whined, staring in horror at the man who was unresponsive.

"First day on your own, and you've murdered somebody," the cat replied, with a tone just this side of sing-song as he hopped onto the witch's shoulder.

Felix felt sick.

He used the toe of one of his combat boots to very gently nudge at the guy's leg. He got no response. Chewing at his lip while his face twisted in worry, Felix crouched over the man, patted him on the face gently. Still nothing.

Jiji jumped off Felix's shoulder right onto the man's gut.

He immediately wheezed in a startled breath as his eyes shot open.

"Oh, not dead then," Jiji said, staring the injured man directly in the face.

"Wha?" The guy groaned, pained and confused.

Felix panicked, and swatted Jiji out of the way, just so he could grab the guy's right arm and haul him into sitting up right. When the man gave a pained hiss, Felix panicked again and dropped him.

"AH! I'm sorry. Damnit. Look- Don't. Don't panic. Just stay calm. Just take deep breaths-"

The guy was starting at him without response, not looking half as panicked as the witch standing over him.

When he started to stand, Felix reached out to help him, but stopped when the man held out a hand to halt him.

"S'fine. M'fine."

"Pfft," the black cat scoffed, "sure buddy." He started to groom himself, no longer caring to be involved if things were just going to be mundane.

-----------

Chris took mental stock of his body. Well, at least nothing felt broken. He thought, anyway. It mostly felt like he had the wind knocked out of him, and when he tentatively touched the back of his head, there was quite a knot forming already there. He couldn't help wincing, it would need ice, and how was he supposed to work his shift?

"Chris!? What happened?"

As if hearing his thought, his coworker had appeared. The girl was standing there, jaw dropped, looking between him and the other person clad in all black.

Chris shrugged at her, or, tried to, but it hurt a bit.

She ran over then, immediately cradling one of his arms as she began ushering him into the cafe's front door. "Oh my god, are you hurt bad? Do you need to go to the hospital?"

"No- no. I should be alright. Just a bump on the head."

He could hear that mocking drawl again, accompanied by a low pathetic whine, but he didn't look back at the pair, not sure if he wanted to be bothered with them for the moment.

When his coworker sent him home, telling him to go to the doctor, Chris was startled when he found the flying man waiting for him just outside the cafe. The guy looked absolutely miserable, and when he realized the one he'd landed on was in front of him, his expression turned fearful as well. Chris stared at him as the guy wrung his hands in his skirt-

Skirt. Uh. Kilt? It was then that Chris noted the full black ensemble was complete with long sleeve black shirt, black pleated skirt to the knees, black leggings, and black combat boots. It was June for crying out loud.

Chris looked up from his bizarrely out of season attire, to the platinum blonde hair, and then back to the young man's wide eyed stare.

"Uh-" He started, so eloquently. "Are you okay?"

The guy nodded, but did not stop staring at him.

"Great then. That's great, yeah." He smiled, wanting to pacify the freaked out guy, though Chris could feel that it wasn't up to his usual standards.

When there was still no change in their position, Chris coughed awkwardly. "Well, then," he said, starting to shuffle around the black attire stranger, "I'm gonna go home, so. . .Bye. . ."

Chris turned then, and didn't look back.

----------

When Chris came into work the next day (he'd gotten a call from the shop's owner, insisted he was fine, and was allowed back to work), he was alarmed by the guy from yesterday waiting for him.

There, on the front steps to the cafe, was a black mess of fabric topped by platinum blonde.

Great.

When he reached the door with his keys to open for the morning, he had to clear his throat. A sleepy head rose to the sound, bleary eyes blinking up at Chris. Unlike the panicked expressions displayed the day before, this time he stood, almost lazily, rubbing at his eyes with the backs of his knuckles while he stepped aside. Chris unlocked the front door, and was inside, when he looked over his shoulder.

The blonde looked at him, tired, like he'd not slept a wink-

Chris turned away, sighed, and then looked back at him as he stood aside, the front door open. "You had breakfast yet?"

-------

Felix was stunned, words for reply escaping him. Why did that damn cat have to be gone now, of all times? Stupid JiJi was so chatty, he'd definitely invite the both of them in. The witch himself though was too ashamed and tired to find his tongue, though, when his stomach audibly gurgled, it seemed he didn't need to.

The cafe worker laughed a little, rolling his eyes. "Come on in," he told Felix again, and like it was some sort of spell, Felix complied without thought.

"Have a seat," he was told, the employee wandering back behind the counter where Felix couldn't see him. Alone in the empty cafe, he had his choice of seats. He opted for one in the corner, wanting to be as unobtrusive as possible. He looked around at the cafe, filled with live plants, the decor very comfortable and clean. It smelled like coffee and herbs, and closing his eyes Felix could place the scents specifically of basil, thyme, rosemary, mint, and cilantro.

"Anything you want in particular?" the new somewhat familiar voice interrupted him, prompted Felix to open his eyes up to the sight the worker tying a black apron around his waist.

"I don't know," Felix admitted, not having looked at the menu.

"Kay. Let me get the coffee going first, then I'll get you something."

Felix nodded, and let himself slouch into his chair in the corner, feeling stupid and shy. He was definitely imposing like an idiot, wasn't he? He didn't say a word as the employee got busy with grinding the beans, then starting the brew. But when he finally started cooking something, the sound and smell of butter hitting a hot surface, Felix stood abruptly. The noise of his chair scraping back across the wood floor had the other man looking up.

"I'm sorry-" The words came out quiet, lack of oxygen in his lungs, he'd forgotten to take a breath when he'd stood. "You don't need to-"

"Come on. Your stomach literally growled earlier."

"But I don't. . ." Deserve it? True. But it was more the fact that he didn't. . .have any money.

"Hey. It's cool."

Felix looked up from his shoes then, greeted with the nicest, most understanding smile anyone had ever given him after he'd run them over with his broom.

"Can I at least help?" Felix felt himself say, before he even processed it.

"Sure."

--------------

Chris hadn't been expecting much when the guy had wanted to help, so he was greatly surprised when the blonde was able to follow instructions well. He'd seemed such a disaster yesterday, but like this, he seemed normal.

Er. Minus the nearly goth clothes, silver piercings, and fiercely blonde hair.

It was about ten minutes before open when they sat to eat the breakfast sandwiches of egg and ham on sourdough toast. Just over the guy's black sweater clad shoulder was the red 'Help Wanted' sign that had been posted in the window since last week. Chris mulled it over as he started conversation between bites.

"So- uh-"

The blonde was mid a gigantic bite as he looked up at Chris, pausing only long enough to look like a chipmunk storing leftovers in their cheekpouch before swallowing the large mouthful with a grimace.

". . . Yeah?" he responded, unsure.

"Um. I didn't ask your name. I'm Chris."

"Oh," he paused, brushed crumbs off his face. "Felix."

"Hm. So, Felix. What, brings you to town?"

Felix's face went pink while he swallowed another bite, already nearly done with his sandwich. He looked away when shrugged, before he answered.

"I'm a witch, so. . ."

Oh. OH. That made so much sense. Chris dropped his sandwich onto his plate and leaned back in his chair, looking up at the ceiling as he admonished himself.

"Of course you are."

When Chris looked back at him, Felix was shoving the last bite into his mouth before gulping down the iced coffee.

"Wait. But, why don't you have any money?"

If he'd been pink in the face before, he went white as a sheet now. He muttered something under his breath.

"What?"

"I lost it."

Chris blinked at him. That was unfortunate. He should definitely lend this guy some then-

Chris jumped when Felix dropped his head to the table, covered his head with his hands and whined.

"Hey, Felix-" Chris reached over tentatively, wanting to be consoling, but then a very loud and angry grumble had him retracting his hand quickly as Felix sat back up in a rush.

"I just- I have to just suck it up and- go home. Everyone is going to laugh at me but, what else am I supposed to do?"

The hand that had been hovering above the table, went to rub at the back of his neck as Chris contemplated this issue. He still had a lump back there from this guy, but even still Chris felt sympathy towards him as he pouted, his pretty face scrunched up in self loathing.

"You could work here?" It came out as an uncertain offer, because really, what was he doing? Felix was a witch. Witches don't work at cafes for the summer-

"Really?"

Chris felt more than he heard the other's surprised murmur, because for some reason in his shock and desperation Felix had leaned in towards him.

". . .Yes?"

"Yes?" For the first time, Chris watched as the witch's eyes brightened, he'd not noticed that they were hazel before, and were those freckles- "Yes!" Felix stood up, hands pressing down onto the table as he backed out of his hair in excitement. He seemed to catch himself though, tramping down some of his emotion as he continued, "I mean. . ." He reached over, picking up his empty plate and glass, "Yes please?"

Chris didn't care to do anything about the humored grin he felt spreading across his face. This was going to be an interesting summer to be sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back