Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey All,

It pains me that the first announcement I have to make after being welcomed to the site as the new site owner is that functionality is breaking.

Well its not a secret that there is a lot of broken things across the site, we've been already hard at working on fixing a lot of things.

Today the server was hi cupping and one of the features of the site permanently broke beyond repair(our version of the board is too new and the addon is dead).

The developer who writes the code for that addon abandoned it years ago.

So it is with extreme displeasure that I announce that groups and the content inside of them is gone. We are extremely sorry for this inconvenience it.

I'm being told that only one big RP group used it and I apologize to them personally. @GgAcE has explained to me that he was trying to get everyone off that broken addon.

Anyway, I'm extremely sorry.

Edit:

So we have a backup of the site that is older which we obviously can't use on the live site, since so much content would be lost.

However Ghan is going to set that backup for anyone to view at http://groups.rpnation.com (that url will function sometime today, ghan is at work so he will need sometime), anyone can go there and see what the groups had and manually copy it over here to the live site. That cloned site will not be online forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the new incoming forums functionality for RP's, the only thing groups would be used for would be little social groups. Silly broken addon. *Boots it*

It's unfortunately so. I was attempting to slowly remove this tool in hopes of supplying a more superior system (soon to come from Dark!).

The groups system as previously mentioned was once a great tool. The developer eventually dropped the project, xenforo upgraded it's software, & the tool became out-dated. We have held off on some major upgrades because of this. Dark is certainly not to blame & I am personally sorry that some RP's were lost in the attempt to repair a tool that simply couldn't be fixed without major development.

Your friend

~Gg

While it had it's day I agree with what Solitaire said it is mostly just used for socializing more than anything.

[QUOTE="October Falls]If I may ask, what forum was it?

[/QUOTE]
Do you mean what group was lost?

[/QUOTE]
A pretty active one the way it sounds.

[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Do you mean what group was lost?

[/QUOTE]
MattieLee said:
A pretty active one the way it sounds.
Yeah, I'm being told it was an Avengers RP.

Unfortunately it happens. :( I personally though am looking forward to the forum setup, it makes things quite a bit more organized.

Nidelia said:
Unfortunately it happens. :( I personally though am looking forward to the forum setup, it makes things quite a bit more organized.
I agree with you there I'm looking forward to it, this is a setback but hey it happens to the best of us.

I was a member of said Avengers RP, and I just want to assure you guys that we're not mad. We totally understand, and look forward to the new tool.

BarrenThin said:
I was a member of said Avengers RP, and I just want to assure you guys that we're not mad. We totally understand.
That really means a lot to me. The situation was completely out of my control, as someone who advocates preserving content on the internet, I got really pissed about it.

Though lucky this is the worst thing thats going to happen, we've already cleaned up and fixed up everything else that was left behind in terms of addons before we took over the site. This will certainly not be happening again and we are backing up the site daily, etc.

Please let us know if you need anything, I assume you guys will be rebuilding your game?

Also if it helps, the system will come sometime in the next month or two where users can make their own forums/subforums and promote other users to co authors, etc.

We're good for now, and yes, we do hope to try and rebuild the RP.

It does help. I'll tell the others, assuming they aren't reading this.

BarrenThin said:
So we have a backup of the site that is older which we obviously can't use on the live site, since so much content would be lost.

However Ghan is going to set that backup for anyone to view at http://groups.rpnation.com (that url will function sometime today, ghan is at work so he will need sometime), anyone can go there and see what the groups had and manually copy it over here to the live site. That cloned site will not be online forever.

PicaPirate said:
That link is faulty, I get a 'this doesn't exist.
As I explained, the URL needs time to work, Ghan needs to go through the process of setting it up but hes at work.

I just released the link so users know where its at. It will start working sometime today.

Solitaire said:
With the new incoming forums functionality for RP's, the only thing groups would be used for would be little social groups. Silly broken addon. *Boots it*
Wait what new incoming forum functionality? (This is only my 4th day on here)

Take your time and keep up the good work!

matt-smith-doctor-who.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
BarrenThin said:
Its not the first time something similar to this has happened to an RP I was part of.

Only this time, it wasn't the fault of the admins and I hold absolutely no grudge against them. I'm also very grateful that the admins are taking the time to get back what was lost.

There is no hurry. I'm off for summer at the moment and so I have a lot of time on my hands, so take your time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back