Advice/Help Good way to start a Group rp?

Pikchu

Hello, I am wondering a good way to start off a group rp so that my players would be able to make their introduction posts and be Able to connect with the main story or at least what is going on. I would like to hear experiences from GMs or anyone really.

The things that I have done which are unsuccessful are.

1. Start in the middle of the events.

2. give too much detail at the start.

3. Not enough detail at the start.

4. Plot is too confusing.

1. I've done the paragraphs upon paragraphs of lore. I've provided full forums of information before. Don't do it. Generally a simple paragraph with surfice and the rest of lore can happen as a group. People feel much more involved that way.

2. Yes, start in the middle of an event. Don't start with the characters getting ready for an event or on their way to one.
BAM start it smack in the middle and get your players involved in action first.

3. For me, minimal detail is key. I give a setting, I give a time period, I give characters and generally just a small paragraph of information. I often see people much more active and post more when told less. Random right?

4. Let your group plot for you. Get a very flexible idea in your head of where you want things to go. Make some firm points but offer your players input on plotting. They will love you and love it! Having players actively involved is the way you have a successful role play.

5. You didn't ask for it but make very strong guidelines. Your players need to know up front what you expect and need. Though, keep the rules to under 10. Because people get tired of being told what to do quick. It's just enough so your players know they are safe.

I hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back