Glorious Solar Saber (Yet Another Balance Attempt)

Dracojounin7

So I'm working out how to make GSS attractive without being unbalanced and so far I'm using these rules for Speed 5 swords:

Accuracy cap: +(Melee)

Defense cap: +(Melee)

Rate: (Melee)

Damage gains TWO points for every point spent in creation.

This is all well and good, given that a Melee 5 Solar could create a sword just slightly weaker than a genuine orichalcum daiklave, and even then only by one point in accuracy or defense. It also gives a few more options, like swords with huge damage but no accuracy or defense bonuses, designed for breaking objects.

But I feel Speed 3 a bit lacking. I certainly don't think it should be given too much of a buff, does anyone else think that having half as many points still works for Speed 3 under these rules?

The other issue I'm having is the option for custom tags, to enable greater weapon customization. Below is the chart I came up with:

Disarming – 2 points

+1 to Overwhelming damage – 2 points (only applicable to two-handed), Overwhelming cannot exceed Damage/8

Piercing – 4 points

Reach - 2 points (only applicable to 2-handed)

Two-handed only – Add 2 points that cannot go to Accuracy

Obviously, not quite as balanced. I feel that two-handed swords (we'll say Str requirement for the purposes of determining one-handed wielding... 3 or 4, so that it IS possible to dual-wield, but only at high levels) are something that should buy more points, since it also denies my players access to the shield of Glorious Solar Plate, given my rules. Do any of those cost too much? I feel like they certainly aren't too cheap, but...

Anyways, thanks in advance for the critique.

I also am wondering about the Overwhelming balance bit... I don't want a weapon with like 6 minimum damage, but I do want them to be able to recreate most of the weapons.

Dracojounin7 said:
I also am wondering about the Overwhelming balance bit... I don't want a weapon with like 6 minimum damage, but I do want them to be able to recreate most of the weapons.
Make sure that you can use GSS as arrows. Last time I checked mechanically it was not feasible due to their size.

Ask @Lord of Chaos about your changes, hes really good at homebrew stuff.

To begin, what is wrong with the current version that just lets you create a pre-existing artifact weapon? What are your design goals with this charm?

I want to allow greater customization so that they can have a panoply of summonable weapons of all sizes and shapes. I find limiting it to the standard artifacts a bit too... well, limiting.

The problem with your attempt, as with the Claws of the Silver Moon before the errata, is that it creates weapons who are superior in every way to Artifacts in terms of their power. Such a thing invalidates Artifacts, and that's not a good thing.

Wood Claw spell never got errata'ed. You you can totes still have a DEF +8 weapon. technically.

If the ST doesn't use the chicanery-no rule, yes. Any person who tried that in my game would be smacked to the other side of the room. We know that there are broken rules in the game. That doesn't mean that we need to add more of them, which is what I'm saying this attempt does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back