Experiences Face claims vs voice claims vs neither

Face claims vs voice claims vs neither or both!

• Face claim

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Voice claim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Neither, description only

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Sleezy

Creature lover
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Probably a gripping title, but I'm not calling any of these worse or better than the other at all! This is probably a topic that's been discussed often... But I haven't seen someone share my opinion/view.

I rarely like face claims, because I have face blindness. I'll only remember the hair color and race often. Nothing else. It's extremely rare for me to remember anything more than that. I'd prefer a full body shot, I recognize people more by clothes and body types. So, face claims fail me completely. I'll only "remember" faces with interesting skin features, say, vitiligo, big freckles, or interesting skin patterns. Of course, interesting unusual hair helps too! But that's few and far between for me. I can tell animals better apart than humans, so I guess I wouldn't mind animal face claims LOL. Static images for face claims make my face blindness worse.
In this case, I prefer description. These stick in my mind way better and abstract descriptions are more appealing to me.

I like voice claims occasionally! I don't always "hear" voices of characters (only applies to visual mediums) unless I'm 120% in, hell, I don't hear my characters' voices from time to time as I write! But if I do hear them, I think I'd like my version often more than what the author intends. If the writer never details how the voice sounds or focuses on that, I think I wouldn't mind being tossed a voice claim.

About neither, well, I tend to do this the most! I sometimes dabble in voice claims or share art of my characters, but rarely. I feel like I detail my writing enough that it's not necessary.

I like having faceclaims, though I can work with description only as well. There’s no big special reason here it’s mostly just they look good, they give an easier/quicker way to picture the character that’s more consistent across different people, and sometimes the picture itself can influence the character. Often faceclaims help me work out some of the final details, typically minor things like a few extras likes or dislikes. There’s also specialized vocabulary about things that I sometimes lack and don’t how to find - let alone describe in a way others know what I’m even talking about- but a picture can help.

Unless there is something very specific I am gunning for that impacts the vision for the character dramatically , voice claims are a just quirk that I don’t mind but am not particularly for either. So I’ll go along with it if that’s what’s asked or what everyone is using, but I’ll seldom if ever go out of my way to include them.

The only time I do voice claims if I am trying to describe an accent to someone from a different country.

I do like visuals or descriptions but it’s mostly just to help myself get a feel for the character in my head.

I'm personally anti any sort of X-claim. Just write out a description. Hell: you don't have to give hyper-specefics if it's not your style. I've read published works where character details are given in very broad sweeps because it's not actually that important. You just got to give enough for the reader to create an idea of a character.

I'm fine with face claims. I use them myself so it's all good as long as they fit whatever type of roleplay. I'm also fine with descriptions. With those, I like to be able picture what is being described in my mind. I don't bother with voice claims.

As someone who did RP on a message board (as in the format was similar to that of 4chan), faceclaims were super common. I see no problem with them, but I prefer to use obscure characters for them or characters from anime as opposed to a western cartoon.
It would be weird to see someone RPing as a character who is meant to be an OC but is using a well known character like Naruto or Goku.

I used to appreciate faceclaims. I still do to an extent. Yet they also trouble me. On one hand they are helpful. But they can also be a bit... odd. Using real photos of people is a bit creepy in my opinion. Lack of consent and other issues. AI art is another can of worms as is more traditional art simply 'found' on the web. It would be awesome if everyone could do their own art or afford to commission pieces but that isn't realistic. So personally I think relying on written descriptions is the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back