Excelencies and Charms

The Boss

Exalted text make me a little confused, so

I'm tryin to get the difference between the excelencies, so see if i'm rigth:

The First Excelency work as on 1ed on attack, but on defense it don't grant any sucess, only dices. Each sucess grant +1 on DV/PV, rigtha?

The Second can grant only half of the benefits. So, A Solar with Dex 5 + Melee 5 could buy only 5 sucess. The same is for defense. Specialty and Acc (for attack) and Essence (for defense) don't count for the maximum allowed.

The Third is pure re-roll.

About Charms...

I can only use 1 charm till a new Tick.

If I use a Combo with 3 Reflexives charms, for example, can I use all of 3 Charms in different situations till my new tick or can I only use'em on my action?

Thanks in advance, guys

Edit: Oh, another question. When First and Second are used on a Combo, what is the maximum for each Excelency? Can i buy 10 dice with the First and Five sux with the second, if we follow the example of a Dex 5 and Melee 5 Solar?

On average, there is mathmatically not much difference between First and Second Excellencies. The way Exalted dice roll, generally every two dice will generate a success on average. Actually, a bit less, something like 0.48 successes per die rolled.

This gives Second Excellency a 2% advantage on average, for the same cost, making it seem foolish to ever use First.

However, consider a situation where you are given 10 dice and the following choice: you can either roll the dice, or trade in two for a success. The catch is that you need six successes. It is impossible to reach that goal by trading dice for successes; however, rolling the dice, you have something like a 40% of getting six or more successes with 10 dice. So, the advantage of First is that you can reach much higher maximum possible successes.

If I use a Combo with 3 Reflexives charms' date=' for example, can I use all of 3 Charms in different situations till my new tick or can I only use'em on my action?[/quote']
Once a combo is activated, you can use all reflexives in the combo any time you want until you new tick. So, for example, you could use them to enhance an attack, then later, prior to your next action tick, to parry. You, of course, have to pay for each activation separately. Also, there may be restrictions on which charms can be used together, which remain even in a combo. For example, I don't think Third can be use to enchance the same test as First and Second.

When First and Second are used on a Combo' date=' what is the maximum for each Excelency? Can i buy 10 dice with the First and Five sux with the second, if we follow the example of a Dex 5 and Melee 5 Solar?[/quote']
No. As a solar you can only double your Dex+Melee pool, and you treat each success bought as if it were adding two two that pool. So, assuming you comboed them, you could add 2 sx with Second (as if 4 dice were added to the pool) leaving a limit of six dice from First.

For the First Excellency, you roll those extra dice, paying 1 mote per die.  For DVs, you roll those extra dice and you add any successes to the DV.  You cannot add to a DV more than half your Attribute+Ability rating, even with the First Excellency. So if your Solar has a Dex 3, Dodge 3, and Ess 2 your DDV would be 4.  To increase it, you could spend 6 motes to buy up to 6 dice (Dex 3 + Dodge 3) but the most amount of successes you can appy to it is 3 successes no matter how many successes you get.

For the Second Excellency, you pay 2 motes per success.  So the same Solar could instead pay 6 motes to apply directly to his DDV and not bother rolling.  Again, the most successes you can apply to your DV is half your Attribute+Ability.

For the purposes of Attribute+Ability limits successes bought with the Second Excellency are considered to be worth 2 dice.  So if the Solar had a combo with the 1st Dodge and 2nd Dodge Excellencies he could, for instance, spend 4 motes to purchase four dice and then 2 motes to purchase one success.  Alternatively, he could spend 2 motes to purchase two dice and then 4 motes to purchase two successes.

For the most part, yes, you can activate the same Charm multiple times during the same action.

wordman said:
On average, there is mathmatically not much difference between First and Second Excellencies. The way Exalted dice roll, generally every two dice will generate a success on average. Actually, a bit less, something like 0.48 successes per die rolled.

It's more of 45.45%.

If I recall correctly, ususally the most DV someone could get in a simple way is about 9. (Well this is based on Dodge DV. Dex+Dodge+HSbracer+Essence5/2=9.)

And since its DV, i think the averages are rounded down, so the max DV you could add would 4.  2nd Excellency is clearly superior as its guarenteed.  Or if you spend 7 motes or less and HOPE that you get 4 suxx.  Then, and only then 1st would be better than 2.  7 motes vs. 8 motes.  But thats negligable, honestly so I would still say 2nd is far superior.  I would have to be something like spending 4 motes and hope you get 10's on all of them to make it worthwhile.  

Until someones DV becomes 12 without the use of charms, then it maybe worth it try and get 6 suxx.  

And this is why I like Forums...it allows me to get rules that I missed and help me rationalize what charms are good to pick and whats not good to pick for whatever reason Im looking to accomplish.

You're both mothereggers, you eggfaces.

Personally, I would house rule it that any dice you roll from the First Excellency be added without limit.  If you're going to take a chance on a roll of the dice they should be able to let you do better than the sure thing that Second Excellencies are.

It's great to get some clarification on the both charms and excellencies, thanks . . . and for the record R&J can't be the worst play from Shakespeare (one of the historicals, probably Henry VIII would be receiving that distinction) and as for the 'Scottish Play' it's definitely a great story, but tied with some very weird stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back