Exalted 2ed - I heard a nasty rumor

If Exalted 2ed has a passive defense system, how would you feel about that?

• Happy.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure.

• Sad.

• Total voters

henryjulian

Now I heard a nasty rumor from a semi-reliable source.

Exalted 2ed will have <i>passive</i> defenses.  Much like the nWOD system.

Apparently your dodge/parry ability is used in some formula to come up with a difficulty in successes to hit you.  This would mean that ALL of the books are going to get reprinted due to the drastic rules change.

Now about my source.  He is a regular at the gaming store I work at (Game Universe in Milwaukee).  He plays in an exalted game that is run by one of the editors for Exalted 2e.  They are currently play-testing Exalted 2ed.

I know none of this for fact.  It is just what he told me, but he has been right about these things before.  I'd say it is at least a 75% chance of being true.

It's merely a rumour... and I think they might for a 'passive' defense. BUt I strongly doubt it. After all... Defense IS suppose to trump offense.

It makes sense to me. I know that I've never noticed dodging to be an active thing in a fight, at least not in 19 times out of 20.

I'm not sure why all the books would need to be reprinted due to the change. I mean, other than White Wolf's desire to make money, and you know, stay in business. But it wouldn't be that hard to print a page or two with general guidelines how to adapt old stuff.

Playtesting is exactly that. Testing. Seeing what works and what doesn't. Let's see what they're actually put out, as opposed to what makes the editorial cut.

The worst thing that could happen is that WW could come out with an 2nd Edition Exalted, and if you didn't like it, you wouldn't have to buy it.  You could stick with your old game easy enough, and even if you felt you needed new material, no one ever said you had to use their rule set.

My original post was "Neo stunting bullet dodges. 'Nuf said."

It wasn't as clear as I'd like it though.

I think stunted doges are a big part of combat. I've had players stunt a fair few of them - not the everyday ones so much, but the ones that really count.

As such - the maneovre itself seems important to the combat system. I'll miss it if they get rid of it.

Maybe if the get rid of it when facing extras, and have it for non-extras...

This would not be the first time that a game system was totaly revamped with a new version comming out.  In the Hero system, the 4th eddition raped the entire system soooo bad and made so many pissed off players that in ver. 5 they went back to a updated 3rd edd.  Task Force Games put out tons of stuff for the 'Star Fleet Battles' game, and tossed it ALL with the new eddition.  Of course, in their defense, the new version does work much better.

What I'm getting to is this; don't be surprised to discover that with the new books is a complete story/setting/history/mechanics change and now, if you want to keep up with what it is happening in Exalted from now on you will have to buy the new books just to have a clue of what they are talking about.

Active defense is one of the things that first attracted me to this game. I had liked ShadowRun's simulation of combat over d20's.. um, whatever that's got going on, and Exalted struck me as an excellent, pared-down system that still captured a nice amount of combat detail. Having that tactical choice of number of attacks and number of defenses also adds a lot to combat that I don't think I'd like to see taken away.

Good thing it's just playtesting. But then, I'm unlikely to buy many 2E books anyway, being poor (largely because of my extensive Exalted collection).

henryjulian said:
Now about my source.  He is a regular at the gaming store I work at (Game Universe in Milwaukee).  He plays in an exalted game that is run by one of the editors for Exalted 2e.  They are currently play-testing Exalted 2ed.
I know none of this for fact.  It is just what he told me, but he has been right about these things before.  I'd say it is at least a 75% chance of being true.
I've known lots of people who come into my game store who "know somebody" or knows of somebody. It's not that I like to cast aspersions as to the character of your source but:

1) People involved in playtesting typically have to sign a non-disclosure agreement, I did when I playtested Dream Pod 9's Silhoutte Core Rulebook.

2) Playtesting is just that, and many many many chnages can be made between now and then.

3) This does seem to be a radical change from WW's current stance of defense trumps offense for Exalted.

4) Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

One too many

If this is true, it seems like they are out to correct a problem in the combat system that was the first thing that struck me about exalted: combat uses one too many die rolls. Now that I've played it for a while, I kind of like it, but it is slooooow. At the time, it seemed to me like the die roll most useful to eliminate is the damage roll, but I'm not sure what I was smoking.

It seems more likely that it's designed to make Dodge, well, suck less. In that line of thought, they should get rid of cascading parries, too, but you can't have everything.

A dodge is a dodge, though. Whether you have to dedicate an action to it or not shouldn't, for any reason I can understand, affect the detail you put into it, nor change the stunt bonus. If anything, it encourages more descriptions of a dodge-turned-into-an-attack in combat.

I kind of like the GURPS defence system better.  You get to dodge everything that is thrown at you, and I mean everything, no matter how many attacks are coming, but that would ruin most Dodge Charms, so I'm not suggesting that as a change.

I hate, absolutely freaking hate, the new WoD rules.  You can take Resolve and Compossure and stuff where the sun don't shine.  I got so mad that when I saw the new WoD rules I traded in all of my old WoD books, sixty or so, for store credit and bought Exalted, Gurps and Shadowrun stuff.

I kind of like the GURPS defence system better.  You get to dodge everything that is thrown at you' date=' and I mean everything, no matter how many attacks are coming, but that would ruin most Dodge Charms, so I'm not suggesting that as a change.[/quote']
The thing that GURPS does well is make Dodge available to anyone at any time, but make it harder than a Block or Parry to pull off - there is no "Dodge skill" to improve, the only things you could do (in 3rd Edition) were add to PD or buy special martial-arts maneuvers, Combat Reflexes, or other expensive add-ons.

One possible approach to passive defense would be something like "you get a reflexive Dodge equal to (Dex+Dodge)/2 dice against anything, or you can spend an action to get your full pool".  Charms would enhance or add to this normally, so you don't get stiffed for using a Charm to boost your lower-pool defense.

This passive defense thing came up in my troupe as well.  I think the point of the passive defense is going to be to give certain characters a better chance to simply get out of the way of things, because in a fight you move around, even if you're not paying attention to the guy that's sneaking up on you, you arne't standing still, and the bette a fighter you are, the harder you're always going to be to hit.  Active defense will still be there, but it'll take more than one success to get hit, because there are times that you can't split your pool and dodge as well, but one success means that pretty much anything you're fighting can hit you, it can be a hassle sometimes.

Further, revisions aren't always bad.  D&D 3.0 to 3.5 wasn't too bad, it basically just added stuff.  40k went to a 3rd edition that was superior in every way to the 2nd edition, and then the 4th came out which was even better.  And if there are things you don't like, don't use them.  Something that a lot of people seem to forget is that you don't need to use every rule in a game, and you cna add your own as well, jsut be sure to pay attention to balance.  Don't like passive defense, don't use it.

I hate' date=' absolutely freaking hate, the new WoD rules.  You can take Resolve and Compossure and stuff where the sun don't shine.  I got so mad that when I saw the new WoD rules I traded in all of my old WoD books, sixty or so, for store credit and bought Exalted, Gurps and Shadowrun stuff.[/quote']
 Why in the world would you do that? Not the part about hating the NWoD rules--a significant number of people do--but trading in your books? Are the RPGers in your area so addicted to 'New and Improved' that they'll stop playing original WoD altogether?

Me, I have just Ministry of Informationed the existance of a NWoD away. It just doesn't exist in my mind.  I'm just not a fan of it, and while I don't begrudge folks who like it, I just don't bother with it. If I want to run a WoD game, I just keep on keeping on like I always have.

Has anybody heard when second edition is supossed to come out?
The corebook comes out in February.  Other books, such as the revised Dragon-Blooded book, a book on the Scavenger Lands, and a book on the Realm separate from the DB book are slated for later on next year.

My Vote

you didn't give me a choice that I felt was apropriate I put Sad, but my real vote would be Pissed as all hell and would completely ignore rule change.

I still play old world of darkness even though players are hard to find I must say.

Im a Werewof the apocylpse and Kindred of the east person.

It was the fact that there won't be anything new coming out for the old system that irratated me, that nothing was going to compatible, so I traded them all in.  I got like two hudred and fifty dollars store credit, so I didn't mind.  Now Exalted isn't perfect, but it is an acceptable system overall, and I enjoy it more than I ever did any of my WoD stuff.

I dislike a passive defense buecause it sounds like AC to me...

I don't miond D20 games, but when I want em, I'll play em.

I don't see high action kung-fu with anything that sounds like AC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back