[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

Since I was dragged kicking and screaming to see the Matrix sequels, it is against my ethics to pay to see a movie.

xarvh said:
Since I was dragged kicking and screaming to see the Matrix sequels, it is against my ethics to pay to see a movie.
I wanted to kill myself after Reloaded and send a protesting letter to Larry and Andy. "It was the only way I thought would make you really realize how bad it is".

Now Pacific Rim had me convinced at the trailer when the giant robot drags a boat and smashes it on the beastie's head... I have to see the whole scene now !

I still live blissfully disconnected from mundane events and trailers alike.

Honestly, I think we live our lives over-stimulated and avoiding entertainment does me well.

I will pirate Pacific Rim once a good torrent comes out.

Hell, I might even watch it.

I have two words for you that should convince you to go and see it for inspiration:

Fangs

Hekatonkhire

:D

I was nearly ill after Matrix Reloaded, I was so disappointed. I warned people away from it. I would never point you to a movie like that.

I don't want to spoil you on cool scenes, but if seeing the trailer convinces you to go - [media]

[/media]
I think it was worth paying money (I went twice!) - but I love del Toro's films, and I love the way he thinks (there are 2 featurettes on the Kaiju and the Jaeger where he talks about designing and what he wanted to invoke with them).

It is Awesome. I guarantee you will find inspiration for your games from Pacific Rim. It is del Toro's homage to mecha & kaiju, and very much a labor of love.

Edit: I also promise I will not bug you to see the film after this.

Shit, just watching the trailer made me pumped up to see it again, and I've seen it three times already.

Using a ship as a baseball bat was definitely a nice touch.

Did Del Toro also manage to find an excuse as why huge fists are better than missiles that's not pathetic?

Still, it was about time someone did a mecha movie.

xarvh said:
Did Del Toro also manage to find an excuse as why huge fists are better than missiles that's not pathetic?
Kaiju are big. Really really big. If I remember correctly, it took three days worth of fighting using conventional weapons (tanks, jet fighters, etc) to take down the first Kaiju that showed up.

EDIT: In fact, only one of the Jaeger uses missiles, and in order for them to be effective, they have to be so big that only seven of them fit in the chest cavity of the Jaeger at a time.

EDIT2: So, no. None of that AT field nonsense.

Honestly, no. He did not. As the guy who does Schlock Mercenaries said: "Let me get this bit over with: to my mind, every technological advance necessary to create a walking mech will be obviated by better uses of that advance." He then goes on to talk about how he loved the movie. (May I also recommend Schlock Mercenary for your daily dose of comedy space mercenaries? He does great SciFi! His review: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/pacific-rim-movie-review)

However -- as JayTee says, in the movie, conventional weapons took 6 days to bring down the first kaiju. Then more came...

This is a movie where you do need your suspension of disbelief. If you can do that - then strap in for the ride, because it is Awesome.

@JayTee -- did you see it in 3D? I've only seen in 2D, partly because 3D sometimes gives me a headache, and because the Hobbit totally wasn't worth the 3D.

Edit: Speaking of tech they need to do the mecha -- I was fascinated by the possibilities of the Drift. (linking mind-to-mind.) Hell, I'd love a movie where del Toro focuses on what happens when humanity invents that tech.

Which begs the question: why scaling up a legged vehicle is easier than scaling up a missile?

Consistency-wise, the technological impact of being able to produce such a huge (and resilient and agile) toy would be enough to completely turn upside down society As We Know It .

@Kacie: yes, i'm getting more and more jaded as I age, and my capacity for suspension of disbelief goes down the drain.

Although, I do know and appreciate Shlock mercenary. =)

@xarvh: Because if you applied the technologies in the way that would be more conventional, you wouldn't have GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING GIANT MONSTERS. Nor would you have swordboats!

@Kacie: No, I didn't. I'm not a fan of 3D. The 2D version was awesome.

Indeed.

So we return to the initial issue of me being a consistency freak.

Even with EotFS... Sometimes I wonder why I bother, since usually it's stuff you guys won't lose your sleep on. -_-

I haven't seen the movie yet, but there is an elegant and simple answer to that.

It's EXACTLY the same reason why you want a machete and not a gun in a zombie apocalypse.

Ballistics can miss and you have a limited amount of those, but punches and kicks don't need no reloading and they get unlimited ammos ! :D

This assumes that all the joints and actuators and incredibly high-tech stuff lasts forever.

Hell, puny helicopters needs their parts changed regularly.

All in all, Evangelion's AT-fields, while childishly named, remain one of the best solutions to the problem.

Also, I've been playing a little game called Remember Me (very uneven but extremely interesting) and... the female hero uses her powers to rewrite memories of a few targets to suit her needs. (really she makes a woman believes her husband is dead because of the corporation said woman is working for and *poof*, all of her psyche changes and she becomes an ally)

Memory Reweaving Discipline, you are next on my list ! :D

Transcendent Hero's Meditation sets a precedent that even if my will is enthralled, I still have some corner of my mind that remains my own. So, yes. :P

xarvh said:
This assumes that all the joints and actuators and incredibly high-tech stuff lasts forever.
Hell, puny helicopters needs their parts changed regularly.
Oh, they don't assume they work forever -- there are awesome scenes involving all the techs doing manic maintenance on the mechs. They madly go to work on each Jaeger after every battle. These things require Space Shuttle+ level maintenance.

JayTee said:
Transcendent Hero's Meditation sets a precedent that even if my will is enthralled, I still have some corner of my mind that remains my own. So, yes. :P
If you don't buy it before I have MRD, you'll never even get the idea to buy it.

There are no questions, only trust.

Crap, now I want to build a friggin sect in game ! :D

Good Grief, Xarvh. I have to thank you, even as I wipe away tears. Watched "Sita sings the Blues" thanks to you. A little too close to home, and cried a bit -- but excellently done, so much so that I felt I had to donate.

Thanks very much for suggesting it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back