Experiences doubling discourse.

bluemoss

needed to post here on rp nation so i thought i’d ask the internet here a question.

we all sort of know what doubling is, right? ex. i would write a canon character to pair with your oc, and in return you would write a canon character to pair with my oc! in some cases it’s different, for ocxoc & ccxcc but we all get the idea of how it works.

how do you guys write / reply to your doubles? i usually have mine set up in two chats to keep them separate and distinct, and when it comes time to reply to one thread, i try to reply to both at the same time. ex. if i get the writing for my side of the roleplay done, and the reply for your side of the roleplay isn’t finished, i won’t send my reply over until i’ve got both replies for both rps finished.

i’m just curious to see if there is anyone else out here that has this mindset. seems like people in the rp community these days tend to pass over those asking for doubles, maybe in fear that the person requesting will favor their own thread, with their oc rather than give your side of the roleplay the same attention.

i hope this all makes sense to those reading it!

So I think part of the distinction is most people don’t make two different threads.

It’s one thread with four main characters.

So you are playing characters A and C and your partner is playing characters B and D.

This is because, at least on this site, it’s easier to organize one thread than make two distinct ones.

But the downside is that it’s hard to split the spotlight four ways in a story.

So what happens is two of the characters end up getting left out and they’re usually the ones your partner is interested in.

Is you don’t my asking does it ever get confusing having two of the same story going at once?

I sometimes reuse a similar ideas (ex. School Exchange) but I have never done two of the same story at once.

Is you don’t my asking does it ever get confusing having two of the same story going at once?

I sometimes reuse a similar ideas (ex. School Exchange) but I have never done two of the same story at once.
honestly i’m new here, so i haven’t had the chance to set up a roleplay yet, so i can imagine with the way the site is laid out, it can be very difficult to do two pairings or even two storylines. i’m used to writing over disc. where i can create different channels and threads to keep it organized!

in the past i think i’ve tried to do doubles with one story line and the two pairings like you said (a & c, b & d) and usually one response goes in the top para and the other goes in the bottom, if that makes sense, but replies are usually shorter that way. i’m sure people have pretty nifty ways of keeping it organized otherwise!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back