• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Dōki no Sakura | A Tragic Slice-of-Life Yuri School Roleplay Set In Wartime Japan

Amazake

Roleplay Type(s)
貴女と私は、同期の桜
同じ女学校の、庭に咲く
咲いた花なら、散るのは覚悟
見事散りましょう、国のため

You and I are cherry blossoms from the same period.
Blossoming together in the garden of our girls' school.
As blooming flowers, we are destined to fall.
So, let us scatter magnificently. For the sake of our country.

It is April 1944. The war has been raging for at least two and a half years, though for some, it began as early as the China Incident in the summer of 1937. Nevertheless, the conflict abroad has taken your family and loved ones away from home, sending them to far-flung corners of the world to protect your sacred country and liberate Asia from western imperialism.

While life on the homefront has largely remained unchanged since the war's inception, unsavory rumors have recently surfaced about the tide turning unfavorably against Japan. Gossips of grave defeat and an impending enemy attack on the home islands are spreading among the desperate urban population, many of whom have suffered the brunt of the government's wartime economic policies.

The paranoia creeped its way up to the top, prompting the government to issue an ordinance evacuating all non-essentials from urban centers: the elderly, mothers, and children. You are one of the lucky few, for you have been selected and assigned to Yurigaoka Girls' Academy, once a prestigious mission school for girls located on the high ground near Mount Akagi in Gunma prefecture, presumably safe from enemy attack.

Today, you bid farewell to your family as they send you off at the train station. In their minds, they firmly hope that you'll be safe out there.

Gokigenyou, minna-sama! Dōki no Sakura he youkoso!

This roleplay premise is largely inspired by and aims to recreate Japanese wartime homefront stories, such as Grave of the Fireflies and In This Corner of the World. It also seeks to explore the theme of 'S' relationships, which serve as the precursor for the Yuri genre that we all know and love today. If you're familiar with works like Maria-sama ga Miteru or the FLOWERS visual novel series, think of the roleplay as something like that with the added tragic twist of being set nearing the conclusion of the Pacific War.

Here, you will be playing as a 13-year-old girl dealing with puberty and the hardships of living in a nation at war. Fun stuff, hopefully! ^^

Now, I'll come up clean with everyone and say that I'm by no means an expert on Japanese history. There will be unintentional anachronism, historical inaccuracies, and artistic liberties sprinkled here and there. Just feel free to correct me on the matter if I ever slip up.

The first few scenes, sessions, what have you, will serve as some sort of introduction to the setting, so I'll be restricting participants to playing as a first-year student going into orientation, exploring the school, etc. (It's my excuse to not write up the setting lore in a separate thread by wrapping it as a diegetic experience for the character, haha jk. But really, everything's more fun to be explored through roleplay imo.)

If you're interested in this roleplay premise but really don't want to play as a 13-year-old girl, just send me a message, and we'll talk things out. That also applies to practically anything you want to bring up to me, so feel free to hit me up with those messages.

And right, one last thing, if you haven't yet noticed it from all the stuff I wrote above, I'll be implementing some rudimentary stats system to track player characters' physical and mental well-being. If any of those stats ever reach zero... You must conclude their story, in whichever way you wish. So, yeah, there will be some sensitive themes at play here; consider it your final warning. If you're unable to consume violent content, I suggest giving this one a pass. ^^

Well then, minna-sama, I wish you good luck.
Survive and protect your innocence, or die trying!​

Hello. I will watch a few documentaries, read a book or two and then I'd love to join.
Haha, alright! ^^
If I could give a suggestion, it'd be good for you to just watch In This Corner of the World to immerse yourself in what daily life in wartime Japan was like. Then you'd be good to go. Of course, this is just a suggestion, not a hard requirement! ^^

Last edited:
Oh, I'm familiar with both the period and the art surrounding it. I prefer to be up-to-date at times like these, though.
That film does look pretty, I'll give it a watch.

Gokigenyou, minna-sama! I've come to notify you all that the CS and OOC thread are now up. Please use the OOC thread from now on to talk about the roleplay.

CS Thread
OOC Thread

Tag: Daylight Fantasy Daylight Fantasy , Nellancholy Nellancholy , deadly king deadly king , Evie Maiden Of Apples Evie Maiden Of Apples , Meehrwillow Meehrwillow
And it's nice to have you onboard as well, silkysoul silkysoul

interested ! ^^
Vivii! Really glad to finally have you here. Just head straight to both the links of both the OOC and CS thread I've provided up there. If you need any help, don't be shy to send me a message, either here or through Discord.

Vivii! Really glad to finally have you here. Just head straight to both the links of both the OOC and CS thread I've provided up there. If you need any help, don't be shy to send me a message, either here or through Discord.
ofc!! im glad to be here, currently working on my oc

If you're still accepting people, I'm interested!
Hi! We recently had someone cancel their participation, but I believe we already had a good number of players playing student characters. Would you be alright playing another type of character? If it's alright, we can continue this conversation further via personal message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back