Different Dice Rolling Systems

Miz

Level 20 Mizard
Nothing is like opening a bag or box containing a set of newly bought dice. For those who do not physically roll dice for any of their games, I can tell you there are many different types of dice. From the commonplace d6, to the whacky d3, d5 and d100, there is probably more than enough to roll any character's fate.

However my question is what is your favorite Dice Rolling Systems? No, I am not referring to the style you roll your dice (though there is apparently science to how you can change your odds depending on what style you roll), instead I am talking about what kind of system do you prefer your game's to be held on.

For many its the d20 just because its the most popularized, but others enjoy systems that follow the d10, d100 and the oddball d12.

So what is it that you prefer to play? Why is that you enjoy playing with those systems? Also if you have a preferred system, what games do you play on it (this is especially to those who like the oddballs)?

I tend to choose the system to suit the setting in some way, and that affects which system I want to use on a game-by-game basis.

For example, I love the nWoD system, especially with the new God-Machine rules. The fact it uses d10s is secondary to the elegance of the interacting mechanics and stream-lined, narrative-focused system. Legend of the Five Rings (also using d10s), though, has possibly the most beautiful system I've ever seen - sleek, elegant, balanced, effective for exactly what it wants to do. Fantastic mass-combat rules.

I use d100s for Dark Heresy et al, because those are mechanically dense systems which rely on d100s. I'd be tempted to hack them if they didn't represent the setting so well and weren't so bloody sprawling.

I used d12s for Crucible because it gave me the power spread I wanted. A little more room to adjust probabilities, more scope to represent godlike beings alongside ordinary mortals (sorry, Exalted fans, but EX2.5 is a trainwreck - a loveable, visually appealing trainwreck, but...).

D6s are good for introducing newbies, as are d20s. Honestly I'm not so good at the probabilities so I tend to approach these things really holistically.

Often it is less about the type of die used, and more about the system/setting specific mechanics which employ those dice that influences the game to which it can be applied.

The d20 is definitely one of the best things out there. It's relatively simple and versatile, yet still powerful. I don't have much experience otherwise, though I am looking to get some soon by testing out Fayth's d8 system in my upcoming RP. Maybe then I'll write a review of sorts.

It's like Grey said; the type of die used is first and foremost system-specific and depends mainly on the game - its needs and of course the Storyteller's own style.

I'm usually fond of D10 systems.....though if I have to regularly roll more that twelve dice at one time I begin to treat the system with a certain amount of suspicion. nWoD is great in terms of being as minimal as possible, and cutting down on too many rolls at once, especially during combat....much different to their older lines.

But I would have to say the latest edition of L5R is my current favourite; no-one will ever need more than ten D10s to play a session of that game :D

As time has gone on, I've become more of a fan of the Cortex or Savage World systems that involve rolling a small number of dice of varying sizes, with the size based on your skill level, and then either adding just two of them together or using the best one.

It lets me use various die types, creates interesting probability curves, and doesn't hand me a bucket of dice and call it a day.

Dice are a uniform probability distribution (assuming no one has weighted anything and we're not adding numbers together), so it really depends on whatever the system was designed for.

I like Traveller's d6 system (the Mongoose one) and Cthulhu's d100. The d10 WW uses is always fun. I think the d20 system provides a nice variety for terms of possible outcomes, but really all dice systems come down to "random distribution from known set of numbers." Adding dice together can produce a different outcome, which is actually why I like WW's systems so much - you don't add dice together as much as the dice represent pure random probability.

I really love the Ars Magica system though - rather elegantly simple. 1d10, simple actions either fail or succeed based on your skill and attributes plus that one d10 roll. Stressful actions are almost the same - except that ones are rerolled, and every one increases the final result by a power of 2, and zero's result in a chance at botching the roll (and a numerical value of zero).

Nothing is quite like Nobilis though.

[QUOTE="Anonymous Vote]Ah the good old days of D&D and dicerolling. Its been a long time since I played a dice based RPG

[/QUOTE]
There's really no shortage around the site if you wanted in.

[QUOTE="Anonymous Vote]Ah the good old days of D&D and dicerolling. Its been a long time since I played a dice based RPG

[/QUOTE]
Grey said:
There's really no shortage around the site if you wanted in.
What Grey said, I could recommend some games if you wanted.

On the topic of writing up a document for systems - I suddenly had five players join Reign on the days I planned to get 'er done.

So I'll try and have something in a few hours while I wait for my RL ST to show up.

My group (and myself) are currently in love with Evil Hat's Fate system. The system uses a d6, but it doesn't use numbers. Instead, two sides have a -, two sides have a +, and two sides are blank. You have a skill (say Melee at +3) and you roll four dice (and you always roll four dice, whether you have a skill or not). You add up the dice roll and then add or subtract that from your skill. So if you roll a +,+,-, blank, then your overall result would be +4.

The Fate system is elegant and very story driven, and puts the emphasis on character. The dice are interesting, but they serve the game, rather than being a mechanic that stands separate from the game.

Most of the games I am active in save for one are dice based system, because I am active in so many, I keep my dice box in my backpack.

I tend to favor D10 and D20 based games as I have better luck with those. I don't have a homicidal set of D10s like I do D6s. (I don't let those D6s out of their little box.)

Grey said:
Everyone loves FATE.
Its a lot more popular then I realized at first. I just wish I wasn't so sick lately so I can get on with things(Like returning to your game :D !) and stuff. Trying to make some posts for my one FATE game but fevers and medication make it hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back