Daiklave question

Ker'ion

Primordial of Abstract Logic
I was thinking about making a Daiklave (Artifact 2), but with the alteration of half the damage, but making it Aggravated damage instead of Lethal.

What would doing this add to the Artifact level?

What of the Grand Daiklave (Artifact 3)?

Short Daiklaves (Artifact 2 for a pair)?

If you want a daiklaive with built-in agg, the only sure thing is that it should be expensive.

I'd make it a lvl 3 effect (as per the artifact creation rules in the Codex) and it would cost 1m per level converted to agg, post soak.(meaning it is still soaked as lethal first, but if you get no damage, you don't have to spend the motes)

After that, build the weapon from the ground up. If you gave it regular daiklaive stats plus this power, it would just go up to artifact 3. Of course, this approach means that nothing with an artifact rating under 3 could have this power, but that seems pretty fair to me.

The only other way I'd do this is to make the agg conversion limited to a type of enemy; like spirits, mortals, or creatures of darkness, for example. In that case, it'd be a power mimicking a charm (as there are many that do this) and I'd incorporate it accordingly.

The difference between lethal and aggravated damage, at least when a PC is wielding the weapon, is almost negligable. Aggravated damage takes the same time to naturally heal, and gets the same bonuses from armor. The only benefits are bypassing Hardness and eliminating natural soak. Since natural soak is Stamina/2 rounded down, you are reducing soak in most cases by one or two. If you are reducing the damage the weapon deals in order to add Aggravated to it's damage type, then the loss is usually going to be greater than the gain. The only time such a weapon would be valuable is in dealing with opponents where Hardness becomes a factor. (Which, admittedly, will be more opponents than before since the weapon will have considerably less ability to overcome soak.)

Otherwise, however, the idea of a weapon that does Aggravated damage to everything seems to go against the nature of Exalted. What does Aggravated damage to creatures of darkness does not do Aggravated damage to fair folk, etc.

--Kkat

Otherwise, however, the idea of a weapon that does Aggravated damage to everything seems to go against the nature of Exalted. What does Aggravated damage to creatures of darkness does not do Aggravated damage to fair folk, etc.
That I think is the most important idea to consider. This would work better as a weapon that does aggravated damage to a specific class of creature.

Actually, what does Aggravated damage to Creatures of Darkness does indeed do such to Fair Folk, which are, in fact, Creatures of Darkness.

Actually' date=' what does Aggravated damage to Creatures of Darkness does indeed do such to Fair Folk, which are, in fact, Creatures of Darkness.[/quote']I was thinking that as well, but didn't have a page reference to prove it.

Actually' date=' what does Aggravated damage to Creatures of Darkness does indeed do such to Fair Folk, which are, in fact, Creatures of Darkness.[/quote']
I'd like a page reference for that. I don't think that's the case.

--Kkat

Clarification:

Exalted pg 192:

Charm Concept: Creatures of Darkness

...These include, but are not limited to: Yoziz, demons, Neverborn, walking dead, ghosts, Deathlords, unshaped Fair Folk, Abyssal Exalted and Infernal Exalted....

Do note the qualifier. Only unshaped Fair Folk (the big nasties in the depths of the Wyld) count as Creatures of Darkness. Alternately, shaped Fair Folk are not vulnerable against Charms effecting Creatures of Darkness, but are vulnerable to weapons of cold iron.

--Kkat

I see. I thought that the agents of Creation had the sense to recognize what almost destroyed Creation during the Balorian Crusade at the height of the Contagion as an enemy of Creation. I forgot the UCS is brain dead.

Oh yeah.

I think it was a Charm that allowed shaped Fair Folk to be listed as Creatures of Darkness.

Kkat said:
Clarification:
Exalted pg 192:

Charm Concept: Creatures of Darkness

...These include, but are not limited to: Yoziz, demons, Neverborn, walking dead, ghosts, Deathlords, unshaped Fair Folk, Abyssal Exalted and Infernal Exalted....
Yes but then it goes on to say right after that:

The Storyteller can make exceptions or add other groups to this list as appropriate.
Which means to me it points right at the "not limited to" part.
Then to top it off it in the second sentence of the "Creature of Darkness" blurb it states:

These are enemies of the world...
Which I take as anything that wants to destroy creation.
Then to finish that sentence:

...so named - where the judgment is required - by the judgment of the Unconquered Sun.
This means the Unconquered Sun = the Storyteller.
Then at the bottom it talks about how a "friendly" ghost (sympathetic) might not fall under the CoD rule while the "evil" undead and ghosts could; which means this is determined by the ST.

But here is how I see the list of examples in the book which gives further proof to this (at least for me):

Underworld

-Neverborn

-Deathlords

-Abyssal Exalted

-walking dead

-ghosts

Malfeas

-Yozis

-demons

-Infernal Exalted

the Wyld

-unshaped Fair Folk

For the group that came the closest to destroying Creation they sure seem to have a smallest list of the Creation haters. So that's why I say that since the unshaped Fair Folk are pretty high on the food chain in the Wyld, it only stands to reason that every being that is trying (or would try given the chance) to destroy Creation falls under the CoD rule.

EDIT: I know that for a game that's built on certain rules, some just strike me as odd.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why can you hurt all unshaped Fair Folk with the same type of weapon (cold iron) when they seem to be made from pure chaos? Wouldn't it make more sense to have each unshaped Fair Folk have its own weakness? This is obviously up to the ST but, one could be iron, while another is wood, and maybe even one is plastic (good luck killing that one without inventing plastic); or maybe they have a perfect defense until they see item or color or hear a certain

, maybe you have to have someone play a perfect melody to drop the defense (which a perfect melody, in my opinion, would not only be an anathema -in the true sense of the word - to the unshaped but antithetical as well).
Anywho these are my thoughts on the (deep) Wyld.

You can add to your list:

- People kissed by Five Days Darkness.

- Dragon Kings knowing too many Dark Paths.

I guess the shaped Fae should fall under that category too, unless like the friendly ghost they adopt a particularily friendly behavior which is not necessarily unnatural to some of them.

The significant catch being that most of the shaped Fair Folk don't want to destroy Creation. Even those following the Church of Balor don't actually want to succeed at destroying Creation; they just like playing at it. (per Graceful Wicked Masques)

As such, the only way shaped Fair Folk qualify as Creatures of Darkness is by Storyteller fiat.

--Kkat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back