Custom Alchem Charm?

Hanat-Osul

Elder Member
I'm trying to come up with a custom Alchemical Charm that would either allow an area-effect melee attack, shoot a big gout of fire or both. Is such an ability reasonable for an Essence 3? I'm statting Excessively Righteous Blossom and they portray him in the book as being able to "slash and burn" large swathes of jungle vegetation, but I can't get my head around how this is possible. I was going to give him Hundredfold Strafing Methodology, but it's Ess. 4 and he's only 3.

Suggestions?

for a while now, I've wanted to write up my Casteless Alchemicals, but I've been waiting for a conversion of their rules into 2nd Edition. One of the series of new Charms I was going to make were Charms that emulated Creation's Exalted, and so one (at least) of those Charms would imitate Dragon-Blooded elemental attacks.

So what I'm saying is, look at other Exalted and see how they go about doing that sort of thing.

I can't recall its name at the moment, but there are at least two Charms which integrate a tool/Artifact into the Alchemical's body, effectively turning it into a Charm. The Artifact version's minimum Essence is only 3, so maybe you could try that.

The best answer I got was from my homie Gustav, who suggested a 'scalding steam' submodule to the Chemical Fog Generator. Mechanically, it would do environmental damage, probably equal to a bonfire or supernatural ice storm.

Re:

The best answer I got was from my homie Gustav' date=' who suggested a 'scalding steam' submodule to the Chemical Fog Generator. Mechanically, it would do environmental damage, probably equal to a bonfire or supernatural ice storm.[/quote']
Actually, I wrote a charm that does precisely that... ask Gustav if he ever played on Exalted-Online.net.

Anyways, I'll put the charm here so no-one will be ganking the credit for my brilliance. ^_^

Incalescent Steam Emitter

Cost: 3 motes or 1 mote

Installation Cost: 1 mote

Duration: Instant

Minimum Manipulation: 3

Minimum Essence: 3

Prequisite Charms: Chemical Fog Generator, Steam Inured Frame

This Charm takes the form of a small pressure tank assembly attaching the Alchemicals essence reservoir to the Chemical Fog Generator, the vents of which are replaced with more durable Soulsteel. When the 3 motes are spent powering the primary function of the Emitter, essence broth is pulled into the pressure tank where it is flash boiled before being ejected out the vents of the Exalts fog generator. This acts as an attack on everyone within (Essence) yards of the Alchemical, while it can be dodged normally it may not be parried without a stunt. Targets failing to defend against the attack take (Essence + Manipulation) lethal damage, soaked normally.

The secondary mode of this charm, was actually a fortunate by-product of its combative use. When essence broth is sent through the Soulsteel reinforced venting, it causes the metal to keen and wail like an alarm siren. Through experimentation, it was discovered that 1 mote was enough essence to affect the siren sound without damaging the Exalts surrounding (or team-mates). When used in this manner, the Incalescant Steam Emitter can be heard out to a distance of (Essence x miles), not barring surroundings.

He dose it the same way any other lead from the front type with a artifact weapon would. He walks in a strait line cutting down any tree shrub in his way with a single wipe (I think you’ll find 2 foot tree trunks fall quite easily without expending essence), and expects his followers to act similarly (they have power armor so only significant trees will remain)

When he finds a spot that looks promising for a long term base they clear a moderate aria pull out some cans of accelerant and apply liberally to the pile of wood and branches before throwing some fire at it.

The problem with using charms to clear land is you ether need a charm that lets you attack a really huge aria (grandmother spider) or a charm with a good duration (infinite strength mastery), even if you gave him a charm that would clear everything in essence yards (3 yards for Excessively Righteous Blossom) for 3 motes he will blow his entire pool after about 300 yards., and only have a 6 yard wide corridor.

Edward

Re:

The best answer I got was from my homie Gustav' date=' who suggested a 'scalding steam' submodule to the Chemical Fog Generator. Mechanically, it would do environmental damage, probably equal to a bonfire or supernatural ice storm.[/quote']
That's what I did when I made a version of him. My version is a bit uncanonical, though, and fairly munchie.

The problem with using charms to clear land is you ether need a charm that lets you attack a really huge aria (grandmother spider) or a charm with a good duration (infinite strength mastery)' date=' even if you gave him a charm that would clear everything in essence yards (3 yards for Excessively Righteous Blossom) for 3 motes he will blow his entire pool after about 300 yards., and only have a 6 yard wide corridor.[/quote']
Well, this is all true, but he also specified that he wanted an area of effect attack. Dumping gas and lighting it, while affective for clearing swaths of jungle doesn't really work to clear out a group of angry combatants, thus the above charm.

That and it was nice to see interest in the first charm I ever wrote. If anyone has interest in any of the other custom alchemical charms I've written, just ask, I'm happy to share. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back