Crafting Demense Mutations?

Jukashi

Four Thousand Club
Demenses cause mutations in mortal creatures that live there. However, it is possible to raise, lower and alter Demenses through geomancy. Would it be possible for a sufficiently skilled geomancer - say for example a Solar master at the peak of the First Age - to alter a Demense in such a fashion that it generates in the mortals living there the precise mutations they choose? And if so, what would be the mechanics of such a task if attempted by a player character?

Occult, Mastery in the Art of Geomancy and Craft (Earth) are all musts, of course, but you'd probably need Craft (Genesis) as well, I think.

There are already rules for this in Oadenol's Codex for something similar to this, under altering a demense.  It uses Int + Lore + Geomancy to alter a demense.. either increaseing its rateing or altering its aspect.  I would assume this would fall under altering its aspect (makes sense for a solar demense to turn people into sunlight... not so much when though when you change it into an earth demense).  I would say specific control of the demenses wyld effect would just be greater difficulty on that same roll.

This makes sense since with lore charms solars can trigger specific mutations on people in the wyld, so needing craft(genesis) I don't really see a need for.

One of the plot points in one of my games was that a specific mutant with a specific combination of mutations was required to open a fate lock.

The antagonists built a (artifact) machine which harnesses demesne energy, passing it through animals to produce a hearthstone like gem which had to be further processed using gemcrafting (Craft:air). Once touched to a target it is absorbed trough the skin (unless surgically removed), and will achieve the desired mutation.

Long story short, they produced an expensive way to custom tailor the specific mutation.

I beleive that there would be easier, faster, and less expensive means to induce specific mutations in people than exposing them to an uncapped Manse.

Sherwood said:
I beleive that there would be easier, faster, and less expensive means to induce specific mutations in people than exposing them to an uncapped Manse.
Like, say, recruiting a Lunar with charms for doing so...or a Solar with such charms? If unable to gain access to either, well, even Thaumaturgy can offer protection from mutations, possibly enough that a bit of good old Wyld exposure and power questing can do the job for lower level mutations.

The benefit of the Demense version is that it would affect a large amount of people, and as said people had children who also lived there, the amounts would go up without you needing to do anything. I could easily imagine some First Age Twilight making a Solar-Aspected Demense that turns all the people in it into superb orichalcum-smiths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back