Charm Viewer for Pocket PC

Knight_of_Chaos

Hey all.

I was extremely bored at work on Friday, so I decided to indulge myself on a project that I've been cooking up:  Creating an Exalted Charm Viewer for my Pocket PC phone (while filing my time under "learning how to write mobile apps" :P ).  It's not the prettiest thing I've ever written (both the code and the interface) but it gets the job done.

If anyone has a Pocket PC with Windows Mobile 5 (I'm not sure if it'd work on anything else, but I suspect it might) and wants to try it out, just let me know and I can email you the cab installer, source or both.  It's written in C# using the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2.

The only problem is that I need to find XML files of all the Charms.  Right now I only have about 10 of the Solar trees since I was working on them for this project over on RPG.net.  If anyone knows where I might find such things, I'd appreciate it.  I don't really look forward to transcribing all of the printed Charms myself... Those trees that I did already were just the tip of one of the most tedious icebergs I can imagine.

The only problem is that I need to find XML files of all the Charms.  Right now I only have about 10 of the Solar trees since I was working on them for this project over on RPG.net.  If anyone knows where I might find such things' date=' I'd appreciate it.  I don't really look forward to transcribing all of the printed Charms myself... Those trees that I did already were just the tip of one of the most tedious icebergs I can imagine.[/quote']
Lore 5 allows you to export an XML version of the 2E Charm trees (minus prerequisites for now, I'm working on this mapping).

http://lore5.patternspider.net/charm/to_xml

I've also been considering a "Mobile view" for Lore 5 that would let you render Charms and whatnot in browsers like Pocket IE or the various other mobile browsers supported by WURFL and such.  Any interest there?

Well, that takes away about half of the tedium, since this would give me the baseline statistics for each Charm with a little find/replace magic to convert it.  The other half of the problem is the Charm descriptions, which you don't have for any of the cannon Charms.  It's understandable, however, as the legality of such a database would be a gray area at best.  Since this is all going to be for my own personal amusement/convenience, I'm not worried about such issues.

memesis said:
I've also been considering a "Mobile view" for Lore 5 that would let you render Charms and whatnot in browsers like Pocket IE or the various other mobile browsers supported by WURFL and such.  Any interest there?
Not from me, no... I've already got my Charm viewer that (mostly) works just fine.  I also like that I can view these things without being connected to a network, which is usually hit and miss in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back