Story ARK - Survivor's Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.

GojiBean

Your resident irradiated Kaiju King
Roleplay Type(s)
Welcome one and all to what will likely be a very brief affair, but a fun one for me nonetheless!

I'm going to be writing as much as I can stand for an ARK: Survival Evolved fanfic. I'll be creating an original character for the adventure and using a more realistic storytelling approach wherein there are no levels, stats, engram points (I'll have a different method of learning how to advance that will become clear before long), etc.

If you're a fan of ARK: Survival Evolved then I hope you enjoy this as much as I will!

So, my character!!

Yume Okabe
  • momiji-yaiba-ninjagaidenz.jpg
    Born on December 16, 1992 in Fukuoka, Japan, Yume is a young and traditional Japanese woman of average height with a confirmed lineage has been traced back as far as 1238 AD, during the time of the Shogunate, and their chosen warriors, the samurai.

But whereas her ancestors trained in the ways of the warrior and sword, Yume grew up with song and dance as a lover of theater and a dream to be a Broadway performer in America. Unfortunately, her father, having always wished for a son while never getting one, raised her as he would a young man and forced her to train in martial arts and other sports in an effort to make her more masculine in the hopes she'd develop into the kind of individual he would be proud to pass on his ownership of the family-created and run sporting goods conglomerate.

Upon coming into womanhood Yume abandoned her father's wishes, earning his eternal scorn and eventual disowning of her as his daughter, but regretted nothing of her decision to move to America at age 18 where she studied at California State University Chico and earned her Bachelor of Arts in Musical Theatre. Taking work as a theatrical performer of both song and acting wherever she could she payed her way until eventually the work and pay ran out forcing her to work menial jobs to make ends meet. She was also forced to room with a friend from college which, unfortunately, quickly revealed the worst in both women and their relationship fell apart putting Yume on the street for a time before finding refuge with another old friend from her days in Japan who'd also come to America recently and agreed to put her up until a suitable job could be found.

As time went on and her dreams evolved with her experiences Yume continued to work tirelessly to pursue her dream as a theatrical performer and actress, with the goal eventually to become an actress in Hollywood.

Things seemed to be moving in a more positive direction as Yume crossed into her 25th year. She finally found a boyfriend whom she went to live with while continuing to pursue her dreams. And she'd even been proposed to shortly after turning 27. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. And shortly before what was supposed to be their wedding day Yume found herself a single woman once more. Everything had been a blue until she realized one day she was sitting in the office of a therapist bearing her soul, crying uncontrollably, and relenting to her anguish as she made her way home and cried herself to sleep night after lonely, restless night.

Eventually she managed to land on her feet once more as she landed a major job working for a theater company as a choreographer. This position paid the bills, but never quite satisfied the itch she'd been looking for. However, what it did do for Yume was grant her access to connections in Hollywood who began chatting her up more and more frequently with teases of opportunities available to her working in Hollywood in a similar capacity. While not quite the dream she wanted, she knew she couldn't pass it up either.

But, once again, fate intervened. And before she could take that next step on her way to realizing her goals she found herself dreaming of a mysterious woman made of light. This woman asked if Yume was the one she'd been waiting for and expressed her desire that it was so, leaving Yume with far more questions than answers. But before she could speak she awoke from the vision to find...

• I'll begin writing this story a bit later when I've got more time.

Cheers!

Starting Point
Starting Point.jpg

GASP!!

I awoke to the burning of the sands beneath my back and legs, and dove for cover in the shadow of a tall thin tree the likes of which I've never seen before. What is it called, I wonder? It's broad leaves are unusual. They're more tropical. But I don't recognize it. Is it Hawaiian? South American, maybe? And the scent. This beach doesn't smell like any beach I know. There's a mustiness to it and a sound I don't think I've ever heard before in the air. It's like a light humming. But I can't tell where it's coming from. And-

Squawk!

"Eep!!"

There's a strange bird wandering the beach. Or at least, I believe it to be a bird.

1906-dodo-png

This strange creature has a beak and feathers. And it waddles like the geese and ducks who like to swim in the rivers and ponds back home. So, it must be a bird, correct? It doesn't appear to be aggressive. It walked right up to me, almost as if it was appraising me, and then turned around and waddled back the way it'd come.

Now that I'm starting to calm down a bit, I've noticed that there's more of these strange bird creatures down the beach. A flock of six, or so. Is that the right word? A flock? Or is this a gaggle? I'm not too-

What was that?

I just felt a rumbling when I tried to stand. Is it an earthquake? No. It has rhythm. Consistency. But what could be causing it?

As I look down the beach I see the vast ocean. Is it the Pacific? Atlantic? I can't tell. But it looks as though I'm on a small peninsula connected to a much larger and heavily forested body of land just across the water. The further towards the end of the peninsula I go the less I feel that rumble under my feet. Whatever's causing it must be the other way. As much as I want to avoid it, I don't think I can. There aren't any signs of fruit trees, rice fields, orchards, or civilization anywhere. If I stay here I'll starve to death or dehydrate.

I decided to go back the other way towards the rumbling. And almost immediately I noticed that, had I looked that direction initially, I would come to see something I thought only possible in history books or an anime. There, down the peninsula walks a towering behemoth with a long neck and tail. It must be well over 30 meters in length. And it's so tall. It has to be the source of the rumbling. The tiny birds don't come anywhere close to this beast. It has to be a dinosaur. But what kind, exactly?

brontosaurus.png

"It's a Brontosaurus!"

"Aah!!"

I turned around and came face to... face(?) with some kind of floating electronic device looking back at me.

"G'day suvivor!"

"You... You talk?"

"Of course I do! I'm HLNA. Your holographic guide!"

This little device scares me. But I'm also intrigued. It claims to be my guide. And it doesn't appear hostile to me in any way.

"You called it a Brontosaurus, correct?"

"Correct! If you want to be more scientifically accurate, it's called Brontosaurus Lazarus. It's one of the largest sauropod dinosaurs on the Ark!"

"Ark?"

"Yep! You're on an Island known as an Ark. It's all part of the Genesis Simulation."

"Simulation?"

"That's right! I'm your holographic guide, here to help you survive until you can find and meet my creator!"

This device is saying so much. I'm getting confused. And I'm getting hungry. This HLNA device says it's a guide. Maybe it knows how I can find food?

"Excuse me. How do I find food here?"

"There are two basic ways to collect food on the Island. You can either harvest the local flora for berries and seeds to plant your own crops. Or, you can hunt the creatures of the Ark for their meat."

I'm no hunter. But...

"Are there fish?"

"Of course! Coelacanths, Megapiranha's, Megalodons, Leedsichthys, and-"

"Too much!"

"Oh. Sorry 'bout that. I can get carried away with explanations. Part of being a scientist and all that. Or, beind designed by a scientist, anyway."

"How can I fish? Is there a way to make a fishing rod?"

"Hm. How best to explain?... Unfortunately, I don't know if there's a way to make a fishing rod. I haven't collected enough data."

"Is there a way for me to help you collect data?"

"Sure is! Survive! The more you explore and try to do, the more data I'll collect and be able to use to find new ways to help you!"

It's not quite what I had been hoping to hear. But for now, it's all I have. I must find a way to survive and make my own way here. Maybe if I get far enough in this simulation I'll find a way home.

"I'll do my best, H L N A."

"Please. Call me Helena. It's my creator's name. And it's what my initials stand for."

"Nice to meet you, Helena. I'm Yume. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu."

"Nice to meet you, Yume! Keep your wits about you, and you'll do just fine!"

I don't know anything about this place. But at least I'm not alone. Hopefully Helena will be able to help me me find a way home before long. I watched a few survival documentaries when I was young. But I hardly remember the first thing about it.

As the saying goes, every journey begins with a single step.

I guess meeting Helena on this Ark was my first step.

Last edited:
Current Location
Current Location.jpg

I managed to find a very large tree bordered on either side by large rock formations. If nothing else it would be a perfect place to rest and make some sort of camp. I won't survive long if I don't have some kind of refuge to come back to when I go hunting and foraging, after all. Helena said much the same thing when I asked her about shelter. But when I asked the light at her center flashed, and things felt different all of a sudden.

According to Helena, when I asked about shelter she unlocked new knowledge and shared it with me. How? Through a diamond device that's embedded in my left forearm. I didn't even notice it until Helena pointed it out. Had I really been that oblivious to it? Then again, I did wake in a new world with strange creatures like those birds, which Helena identified as Dodos, and the Brontosaurus which had since moved a bit further inland away from my location.

With the knowledge on how to construct things made out of the materials of the trees and fallen logs and trunks of trees lining the beach, which Helena identified as Thatch, I asked about how to acquire it. She flashed with light again and shared the knowledge of how to make a primitive stone pickaxe and axe which would allow me to harvest the Thatch and Wood from the trees to be able to build a basic shelter for myself.

I got to work hacking with the pickaxe and axe at the dead tree trunks and logs along the water, as I prefer to leave the young and healthy trees alone and admire their natural beauty. Interestingly, as I hacked away I noticed there wasn't any material coming from the trunks or logs. They just disappeared after a time. However, I felt heavier. Helena explained that all the materials had been digitized by the simulation and were stored in the implant device in my arm. But all the weight was still present. And it was rather exhausting trying to haul it all back to the great tree where I built a storage box thanks to yet more knowledge shared by Helena.

"You learn fast, survivor!"

"Thanks, Helena."

I was able to store the materials into the storage box which helped me feel a lot lighter. But the sun was going down fast. So, I had to hurry. I started gathering the local bushes and shrubs which gave me all manner of berries, seeds, and fiber which I had a feeling would be useful with building thatch structures for shelter. Turns out I was right. Helena confirmed fiber was not only helpful, but required to build Thatch structures. With the materials gathered I managed to construct a simple four by four box made of Thatch with a doorway to get in and out.

Not much. But it's home, for now.

The berries I found were interesting. Mejoberries seemed the most useful for sating both hunger and thirst compared to the others which seemed to favor one or the other, or simply sated much less so than the Mejoberries did. The Narcoberries and Stimberries were oddities. Helena said Narcoberries had a tranquilizing effect and could knock out anything that ate them if consumed in great enough quantities. And the Stimberries had the opposite effect and would invigorate anything that ate them. I decided simply to store them for now instead of risking any unnecessary side effects. I asked Helena about bedding, but she said I'd need Hide which would only be acquired from the creatures of the Ark, or from those bright metal diamonds floating down from the sky which she called Supply Drops.

I guess this whole 'simulation' talk is accurate. Such a strange world can't be natural, no matter how natural it looks and feels when ignoring the strange creatures wandering around in it.

I barely slept that night. My mind was overflowing with thoughts of home which made me homesick. And try as I might I couldn't stop from crying. Looking back I think I was more afraid than anything. Afraid of being stuck here forever in this world of beasts in which I was expected to survive. I'm a dancer, singer, and actor. I'm not a survivor or adventurer. And I'm certainly not a scientist. Half the things Helena says are too scientific for me to understand.

The following morning I didn't feel like doing much. I was too depressed. I sat on the beach for a few hours, trying to stay in the shade of the trees as much as possible. I ate some berries to stave off hunger and thirst. But they didn't really satisfy the way I was hoping they would.

"How're you holding up, survivor?"

"Please call me Yume."

"Ah. Sorry. I'm so used to you survivors dying before I learn your names it's kinda become a habit."

"That's not very comforting, Helena."

"Oops. Sorry."

I tried to stand and dance. But all I could do was go through the motions. My love of dance almost seemed a distant memory as I struggled to find enjoyment in my daily activities. Towards the end of the day Helena told me that if I wanted things to change and get better I'd have to embrace my circumstances and start fighting to survive. And even though I knew she was right, part of me resisted.

"I know you're not interested in killing things, survivor. But-"

"Yume."

"Sorry. Yume. But if you don't start gathering what you need you won't survive for much longer. Part of surviving is doing what must be done, after all. Even if it's counter to your nature or what you want."

I couldn't argue. If I want to find a way home I have to find out how to get off this island. Perhaps a raft? No. Helena told me of the barriers in the sea and sky preventing anyone from leaving. If that's the case then there must be another way. Helena suggested that the giant floating objects I'd noticed, called Obelisks, could hold a clue and advised me to investigate them as well as the rest of the island. At least she was kind enough to warn me of the kinds of dangers I might face. Not that it helped me since I think knowing what dangers awaited, like the Tyrannosaurus Rex, only made my anxiety to explore worse.

I started by ensuring my new home was reinforced by upgrading the Thatch material to Wood, which Helena helped me with. She also shared new knowledge about how to build small foundations to build a wall on either side of the area between the rock formations so nothing could get to my hut while I was away. It took most of the day to finish building everything. So I went to bed early and tried to get as much rest as possible, which wasn't easy. I still felt homesick. And my energy levels were still low.

The next morning I began heading North and found more Dodos and saw a small bipedal creature with a frilled neck attacking them.
Dilophosaur.webp

I was having none of that. So I kept my distance and continued north along the coast. Along the way I spotted several new creatures. A little quadruped called a Lystrosaurus, a Triceratops, several Parasaurs, a pair of Pachycephalosaurus, and some flying birds which didn't seem to want to harm me, but when they swooped down to strike at me they stole some items from my inventory including berries, some fiber, and even my pick.

lystrosaurus.png
parasaur.png
triceratops.png
pachy.png
ichthyornis.png

I can't say my journey was very fruitful. I crossed a small river and entered a larger open space with a small pond where a giant crocodile seemed to be attacking everything in its vicinity. I've never seen such a fearsome creature in my life. Let alone one so savage and aggressive. If this was how bad a crocodile was, I pray I never meet a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

sarco.png

I decided to turn back towards home. The peninsula was safer. And the beaches along the mainland looked safer than those I was currently traveling. Not to mention the further North I went, the colder it became. And, as seemed to be a running theme these last few days, I noticed I hadn't made any clothing for myself since I'd been so focused on shelter and just getting through the last few days. When I returned I made myself some clothing including shoes, pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and some arm wraps. Helena said there was a headband as well, but I opted not to make that. With my hair being as long as it is a headband would make it a nightmare to maintain my hair on a regular basis.

Perhaps I should consider cutting it before I head out next?

Current Location
Current Location.jpg

"Don't look back!!"

I didn't dare. I was too focused on watching what was in front of me as I sprinted through the trees. I could hear the best behind me. It was so close. I tried moving through the trees in jagged motions, moving left and right and around the trees in an attempt to confuse it. But little seemed to stop or slow its pursuit. The one time it got confused and lost ground was when I used a tree to spin myself all the way around and turn back the other way.

"What is it, Helena?!"

"It's a Raptor! One of the more relentless hunters on the Ark! Luckily, this one's alone. A rogue, most likely."

raptor.png

"How does that help?!"

"If it weren't alone you'd already be dead!"

"NOT comforting!!"

"Sorry! I'm still getting used to this whole survivor not dying right away thing!"

The Raptor was on my heels again. Chirping and growling as it attempted to swipe at my legs and hair. My stamina was running out quick. If I didn't find a way to lose it soon I was certain to meet a most painful end to its claws and teeth. But wait. The Brontosaurus! It was nearby. I could feel the rumble when my feet hit the ground. I followed the sound of its thundering footsteps until I saw it wandering the beaches back towards home just beyond the tree line.

Seeing it seemed to give me a second wind as I picked up my pace, continuing to dodge using the trees to whatever advantage I could against my pursuer before breaking the tree line and sprinting down towards the behemoths legs. The closer I got to it, the less I heard the Raptor giving chase. Once under the giant beast I turned around, breathless, to see the Raptor halted near the edge of the grass before it gave way to the sands of the beach. It was watching me intently. But it dared not approach the Brontosaurus. Such a creature was far beyond its means to hunt, and too dangerous to risk angering in its attempts to hunt me.

One thing I had to admit was that the Raptor was beautiful. Its body was a deep garnet red with a black stripe running along its back. The feathers along its head, arms and tail were an off-white which, to me at least, perfectly accented its other colors.

It didn't take long for the frustrated hunter to start taking mock lunges towards me. My guess is it's trying to make me run from the safety of the Brontosaurus as it lumbers along the beach. Staying clear of those massive legs isn't as easy as I'd first thought. But I've managed to so far.

Eventually, the Raptor tired of its wasted efforts and disappeared into the forest. But was it gone for good? Or was it trying to make me think it's gone? I dared not risk the second option, so I continued to cautiously remain beneath the Brontosaurus before realizing I could move closer to the water to get out from under it while still keeping it between me and the tree line.

"Survivor!! Behind you!!"

I turned around just in time to see a dark mass racing through the water of the bay towards me. The water erupted revealing a giant crocodile lunging at me, mouth agape, as I instinctively dove to the side. The creature raced by me and smashed into the leg of the Brontosaurus, earning the creatures ire. With a single swipe of its tail it send the crocodile flying into the large rocks just off shore, killing it nearly instantly, and almost taking me with it. I was blown back several paces by the sheer wind force of the tail swipe. But I landed safely in the sand and rolled to my feet to see the crocodile's corpse floating in the water with blood pooling around its head and shoulder area.

"Phew! Lucky for the Bronto, yeah?"

"I feel sorry for the crocodile."

"You know, survivor. If you harvest the body of that Sarco you'll get the hide you've been looking for."

"The what?"

"Hide. You know? For making stuff?"

"No, I mean what did you call the crocodile?"

"Oh. It's a Sarco. Short for Sarcosuchus."

"A Sarco. Mm. How do I harvest it?"

"You can use either your pick or your axe to harvest it. Which one you use determines whether or not you get more meat, or more hide. If you want more hide, go with the axe. If you want more meat, use the pick. Simple, yeah?"

I had to take a moment to contemplate my needs. Hide was probably the best option. Based on how Helena phrased things, it sounds like I'll get hide and meat regardless of which I use. So, using the axe should suffice for my food needs, right? There was only one way to find out.

As I thought to use my axe it materialized in my hand from the light in my implant, and I waded into the shallows to start cleaning it in the same way I would clean a fish back home. But its hide was tough and wouldn't break. However, I noticed my weight changing with each attempt. I looked into my inventory and sure enough I was getting meat and large amounts of hide from the beast. I guess, for as realistic as this simulation world is, it's not so real that I can clean and skin an animal like I would back home.

Once I'd harvested the Sarco's body for all its materials, it disappeared just like the trees I broke when making my shelter. At least the simulation wasn't wasteful. Though, it felt odd to see such a phenomenon occur before my eyes. As I turned around I noticed the Brontosaurus had moved further down the beach. Wait! The Raptor!

My eyes darted to the tree line... Nothing. No sign of the Raptor. No movement. No shadows. Nothing.

I was close to home. And I had a lot of hide and meat in my inventory. With as hungry as the Raptor looked it was sure to smell the contents on my person and seek me out again if I didn't move fast. I stayed near the water and rushed back home to the great tree, entering past my wall through the doorway I placed in it. Once safe inside I deposited my inventory into the storage box. But I realized quickly that the meat had some kind of progress bar on it. Helena told me it was a spoiling timer. If I didn't cook it before that timer ran out it would spoil and become all but useless. Strangely, there were two types of meat. Regular and prime meat. The prime meat was spoiling a lot faster than the regular meat. So I had to act fast.

I went to make a campfire as quickly as possible and put all of the meat into it before asking Helena about a refrigerator. Apparently she couldn't help me with that just yet. But she did know of a primitive preserving box which she shared knowledge of. It required more materials, so I spent some time harvesting them from the rocks and trees outside my walls before crafting and placing it near the campfire.

"You'll need Sparkpowder to power it."

"Sparkpowder?"

"Yep! You make it in a Mortal and Pestle. Here."

She shared the knowledge with me. And, go figure, it required some of the hide I'd just acquired. Luckily I had what I needed. So, I crafted one and searched the crafting menu it gave me for information on Sparkpowder. It required stone and flint, which were chips of stone I got from using a pick or axe on a boulder like those outside. I had plenty in the storage box, and thankfully there was a way to automatically transfer the materials from the storage box to the mortal and pestle without needing to run back and forth. However, it seemed to be proximity based. Thankfully they were close enough for it to work. And I realized I could make two sparkpowder for ever single stone and two pieces of flint I put into it.

I crafted 50 sparkpowder and placed it in the preserving bin before checking the status of the meat. It was cooking slowly. But the spoil timers were extended while in the campfire which was good. They were spoiling much faster while in my own inventory. I took as much of the cooked meat and prime meat as had been completed and placed them into the preserving bin for safe keeping. The spoil timers were extended exponentially while in the preserving bin. But they still wouldn't last forever. But my big question was whether or not they would all spoil at once, or spoil one at a time. After all, this simulation seemed to stack like items in any inventory menu rather than making them all individual items.

Questions for later, I suppose.

As I sat down to enjoy the warmth of the campfire and the smell of the cooking meat, I couldn't stop thinking about the Raptor I saw.

"Helena. Are the Raptors all pure hunters?"

"Of course. They hunt when hungry, or to defend their territory."

"That's not quite what I meant. For as scary as it was, it was beautiful too. I honestly liked looking at it once it stopped chasing me. But I doubt it'd just let me observe it without trying to hunt me, would it?"

"It could if you tamed it."

"I suppo-... I can tame it?!"

I shot to my feet.

"Well, yes and no. When I say 'tame,' I really mean you're more acclimating them to your presence and giving them reason to see you as a pack mate rather than a food source. But they'll never be truly domesticated."

"I see. How do I acclimate them?"

"Well, I suppose the easiest way is to present them with food. However, that's easier said than done with carnivores. For them, it's best you do so from a distance. For example, you could either try to find a safe spot to throw it from. Or, you could attach some meat to the end of an arrow and fire it from a bow. Their keen sense of smell will lead them right to it. And while they enjoy the meat, they'll also take in your scent from the arrow shaft. Over time this will help associate your scent as being that of a pack mate who's looking out for them rather than you being prey. That's the idea, at least."

"Will doing this make it safe to approach them?"

"It's not a guarantee. But it's the best chance you've got to make sure they don't attack you on sight."

"I see. I have to at least try. How do I make a bow?"

"Leave it to me!"

Helena flashed with light, and the knowledge of the bow and arrow was mine. As was the knowledge of how to properly prepare and prep the meat on the arrows to be make it safe for them to feed from. I didn't want them accidentally eating the arrow itself, after all.

If I could, for lack of a better term, befriend that Raptor it would certainly be to my benefit. The Raptor could help me hunt for food, and protect me whenever I venture away from home. Even though Helena shared the knowledge of how to craft a spear, a slingshot, and now the bow and arrow, I was not a fighter. My dancing skills were better suited for retreating than engaging in combat.

The sun was setting by the time I had finished my preparations. And I dare not try to do this at night.

Tomorrow morning, I'll attempt to find that Raptor. And we'll see if Helena's suggestion holds true. If it doesn't, I fear I will meet my end.

Last edited:
The warmth of the fire did little to ease my broken spirit. The burning in my leg from the Raptor's claws was the worst pain I'd ever experienced in my life. For all the lack of realism with harvesting bodies, wounds seemed to be realistic. And they lingered. I tried wrapping it. But it didn't help with the pain. I asked Helena about anything to help, but she had no knowledge of anything that could help me other than food and rest.

How had it seen me?

I was hiding on top of a ridge as I watched it stalk a pack of Dodos down below. I shot the meat arrow from the bow down near it, and it ate the meat. But it also seemed to use my scent to track my location. In the end the only reason I escaped was by falling down the ridge to a ledge while the Raptor leaped too far and fell down below. But rather than come after me again, it continued hunting the Dodos while I retreated as quickly as my wounded leg would allow.

"How're ya feeling, survivor?"

"Not well, Helena."

"Aw. Sorry 'bout that."

"I don't understand. I stayed hidden the whole time. Why did it come for me? And how did it know where I was?"

"Raptor's have a very keen sense of smell. And if my weather sensors aren't faulty, I believe you were upwind meaning the wind blew your scent right to the Raptor."

"Is that how it tracked me so quickly?"

"Most likely. As I said, Raptors have a keen sense of smell. It likely remembered your scent from your first encounter and recognized you'd be a more filling meal than a Dodo."

"..."

"Not helping?"

I shook my head.

"Sorry. Anyway, take some heart! You managed to get it to eat from your arrow. And you didn't retaliate when it came after you which was important. If you'd tried to fight it would perceive you as a threat on top of being prey. Right now, you're still just prey. But if you keep feeding it like that you're bound to change its mind eventually."

I tried to take heart. But it was difficult. This wound would force me to stay put for quite some time. The claw marks were deep. And they would take a long time to heal. If I couldn't find anything to help fight infection then I hesitated to think about how realistic the infections would be.

By morning, I got my answer. No infection. There was still pain. And it was hard to walk. But there was no sign of any infection to make my life more miserable than it already was.

"You know, survivor. You might find an easier time of taming an herbivore. Most of them are docile enough to simply be hand fed."

"What can they do for me?"

"Herbivores have a variety of uses to survivors. Some of them, like the Parasaur, can sense danger before it arrives at your location. Others, like Triceratops, could serve as a major defensive barrier if anything comes at you. One or two of them could even go toe to toe with a Rex if absolutely necessary. And, of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Iguanodon. Those critters can quickly help break down berries into seeds for farming purposes."

I hadn't considered such things before. The ability to sense danger and give advanced warning was certainly appealing. A Parasaur, she called it? Right? I'd have to look into that. In fact, all of the options sounded like I'd need them at some point. And if they could be hand-fed, that would make my injury all but a non factor. If there's no need to escape then I don't have to stress the injury and risk being out of commission longer than necessary.

The following morning I'd prepared numerous berry packs using hide, fiber, and the berries I'd collected from the bushes. The Brontosaurus was still too much, given its size. It'd never notice me unless I got its attention some other way. Instead, I focused on something much smaller. A Dodo which was wandering around fairly close to my walls. I sat down on a rock and tossed a berry bag to it, and although it was a bit wary it seemed to enjoy the treats inside. It relaxed and came a bit closer. So I tossed another bag to it with the same result.

After another bag it started wandering away and I started wondering if I'd chalk up another failure. But Helena said it was likely just full and to wait until it was hungry again. I waited about an hour and the Dodo was back, looking at me as I sat on the rock almost as if expecting the meal. Instead of throwing it I held it in my hand and waited for the Dodo to approach. At first it didn't want to. But its grumbling little tummy forced it to approach and eat from my hand after a while. I tried reaching out to pet it, but it snapped at my hand. I pulled back quick enough not to be bitten. But it waddled away after that and didn't come back for a long time. When it did, I tried again with a similar result. But this time it didn't go quite as far.

Finally, I was able to pet it while feeding it. And it seemed to enjoy it as it leaned its head towards my hand as I stroked its neck. The little creature sat down next to me and I kept petting its head while it occasionally squawked in what seemed like joy. Helena shone her light on it and told me the Dodo was male and asked if I wanted to name it. I thought about it a moment, and I settled on Donovan after Jeffrey Donovan from the TV Show Burn Notice. He was one of my Hollywood crushes. My Dodo Donovan might not have been quite as handsome. But he turned out to be a reliably delightful presence in my life moving forward.

Welcome Donovan!!
1906-dodo-png

The next morning I repeated the taming process on several other Dodos, all female, and let them all roam free inside the safety of my base walls. Helena taught me how to build a Feeding Trough so they could feed while I was away. All of them seemed to be quite happy with the arrangements, and I was as well.

With my spirits rising I decided to try my luck with a larger herbivore. I remembered seeing a Parasaur up North before I saw the first Sarco of my journey attacking everything in that pond. The Parasaur was a good distance away from there, though. And no other major predators seemed to be in the area. With nothing to disturb the process, I tried approaching to feed it a berry bag. But it was wary and kept its distance from me. I tried sitting down and tossing a berry bag, but it still remained out of reach. It smelled the berries. And it clearly wanted to eat them. But it was no use. It wouldn't approach the bag.

"I've got an idea, survivor. Why don't you try backing further away?"

I did as Helena suggested and slowly scooted away from the bag. Once I was far enough the Parasaur finally approached and started eating the berries. It was quite a distance at this point, though. Too far to throw by hand. I tried attaching a bag to an arrow. But it barely flew more than six meters before hitting the ground. So that was out. At Helena's suggestion I decided to play the long game by laying out a bag and backing away to hide while the Parasaur ate. Before it did, however, it looked around for me every time. When it didn't see me it started eating. And this went on for hours.

I had to go back home to sleep before coming back the next day. But this time I was more successful. The Parasaur still kept a distance from me. But it was more willing to approach the bags I threw for it. I think the closest it got was around five meters or so, and I finally realized how big it truly was. Despite my efforts, it was another day without direct contact. And I was running out of berries. I had to spend a few hours harvesting and crafting more bags the next morning before returning to the Parasaur and trying again. It came closer. Three meters or so. I could sit down and just toss a bag under handed and it would come up to eat it.

And at last, after four days of feeding, the Parasaur finally approached me after feeding on the last bag. I gently rubbed its chin and throat, and it seemed to enjoy it as it came even closer, nearly standing on me. After Helena revealed he was a male, I named him Prince.

Welcome Prince!!
parasaur.png

He had a purple horn which contrasted the muddy brown/orange of his body. Helena also told me there was a chance to craft a saddle so I could ride on him. How amazing would that be?! Riding on a dinosaur? I returned home with Prince following behind me before I realized that he was too big to fit through the door. I didn't want to just leave him outside. So Helena taught me how to make Dinosaur Gateways. They were large enough for Prince to enter and leave my walled of area, which was perfect. The only problem... They required a lot of resources.

I spent all of that evening gathering wood, thatch, stone and fiber to build them. Once finished I built the gateways and placed them after removing the smaller walls. With the gateways ready, I got Prince inside and locked the doors behind him.

It wasn't quite what I'd imagined when I first set my sights on the Raptor. But it was a start. I wasn't alone anymore. No offense Helena. But having animals like this, even if I couldn't quite call them 'pets,' was lifting my spirits greatly.

For now, my sights were still set on that Raptor. Something about it was calling to me. And I couldn't ignore it. But the next time I attempt to tame it, I'll be more prepared and ask Helena to keep an eye on the wind conditions. I need to be downwind to avoid it picking up and following my scent. It must only smell me on the arrow holding the meat.

I've even come up with a name for it...

Current Location
Current Location.jpg

It's been a week since Prince was tamed. Since them I've managed to find and tame another Parasaur, a female I named Lily. I also tamed two female Dodos which wandered near my base. I named them Cream and Puff, and I let them wander around the base freely along with Donovan. Meanwhile Prince Lily are both with me now as I continue tracking the Raptor from before.

I'm on a cliff overlooking what appears to be a swamp nestled around a large redwood forest. A lot of carnivorous creatures like giant snakes, another Sarco, and even birds which appear to be about the same size as me and run upright on two legs like a stout ostrich and chase their foes with incredible speed. My Parasaurs wouldn't have a chance if caught in a foot race with those creatures.

The Raptor appeared to have wandered down close to the swampy waters, still on the West bank down below me. The wind blows in my face which has allowed me to remain hidden from its nose. Right now it's observing fish in the murky waters and trying to swipe them to shore so it may feast.

This is a perfect opportunity.

I've been practicing with my bow and learning how the weight of the food affects the drop of the arrow. And I feel like I've at least gained some proficiency with judging it accurately. I brought my bow up with fresh meat attached to the end of the arrow, pulled back the string, and released my grip. The arrow traveled straight, but it dropped sooner than I would have liked. I suppose I should have aimed higher?

The meat landed a half dozen meters away from the Raptor. But the sound drew its attention as it turned and slowly approached the arrow. I ducked down to lower my profile as Prince and Lily waited anxiously behind me near the tree line. It sniffed the arrow and the meat and gave it a few licks before biting into it. All I could do now was hope that Helena's advice about putting my scent on the arrow would do the trick.

With the Raptor enjoying its meal I slipped away with Prince and Lily and went back home. If their taming was anything to go by it could take weeks to get that Raptor acclimated to my scent enough to try and befriend it. But I wasn't about to give up hope that it was possible. If I could tame the creatures I did so far, I can tame this one too. I had to believe that.

With the days ticking by, and numerous feedings of the Raptor happening per day, I was feeling more and more confident about my chances. The Raptor was much more readily recognizing the meals I sent to it, and no longer felt the need to sniff it before eating. It even started nudging the arrow with its snout after the most recent feeding. I'm not sure if that means anything. But Helena said it was a good sign. So, I tried my best to take heart in it and move forward with confidence.

It was a new day. Right about noon. I was on my perch watching the Raptor down below near the swampy waters when I felt a subtle tremor in the ground. Probably the Brontosaurus. Last I saw it was still wandering around not far from the beaches near the peninsula where I first awoke. I took aim with a fresh arrow, raised it to get the lift needed for it to land near the Raptor, and let loose. The arrow landed true in the sands near the Raptor who responded as expected. It approached the meat and immediately set about eating it as I looked on from my perch.

I was about to leave when I felt the tremors again. The Raptor seemed to feel them as well and immediately stopped eating and fled into the trees. I was confused, to say the least. It had never fled from anything except one of the Sarcos which had wandered a little too close to its feeding ground. But as the tremors increased their intensity both Prince and Lily let out warning calls and began running South along the tree line.

If only I possessed preternatural perception, I might have avoided what came next.

The thundering tremors increased in speed once again as I heard trees groaning and straining behind me. Daring to look back I saw the leaves in the canopies rustling violently as something massive was sprinting beneath them. In one fateful moment of majesty and power a Tyrannosaurus Rex burst through the trees, roaring with fury, as it chased after my Parasaurs and I. With its speed there was no chance for escape. And as the one falling behind my Parasaurs I became its primary target.

With what little sense my mind was able to muster in those brief moments as it raced towards me with its mouth agape, I dove to the side, seeing it pass me by in my peripheral vision, before rising and sprinting down towards the trees around the swamp. The Rex didn't pursue me. Instead, it kept running along its previous path and disappeared into the trees.

The tremors slowly faded. But I could hear it roaring moments later as all went quiet around me.

"Seems it was able to catch something."

I didn't dare ask for clarification. My legs were so shaky I slumped to the ground leaning on a tree as my heart pounded in my throat.

"You should probably head home, survivor. It's not safe out here with a Rex about."

"Prince and Lily are still out there."

"They know the way home, survivor."

My legs still wouldn't work. In my mind I was imagining the worst. Prince and Lily weren't fast enough to outrun that monster. But they'd been hugging the trees before it lunged at me. If they'd entered the trees and used them to maneuver, they might be able to avoid it. But even trying to think of silver linings my heart told me the worst had come true. Prince and Lily. One of them was dead. Maybe both. I was sure of it.

When my legs finally got feeling back I carefully made my way up the hill and down to the coast where I had to stop and rest against a fallen tree where the grass gave way to sand.

What I just lived through had finally set in, and all I remember after that is how tight my chest became as I started crying as hard as I could. In the back of my mind I knew it wasn't wise to do that. I was creating a lot of noise which would draw any hungry predator right to me. But I couldn't stop. I was crying for Prince and Lily. Even if they'd survived they must've been a mile away or more by now. Helena said they were never truly domesticated. So hoping they'd find their way "home" when it wasn't even really their home was a fool's errand. If they weren't dead, they weren't coming back.

Why would they?

"Oi!"

Helena's voice. Was she calling me?

"Oi! Survivor! Look'ee there!"

I looked up towards Helena, and she was lurching back in the direction we'd come. When I turned around I saw Prince and Lily both limping towards me. Prince was bleeding profusely from claw marks on his side, and teeth marks around his tail. Lily was also bleeding from a keep wound on her right thigh, and her leg was clearly broken.

I was so happy to see them. But so frightened of their conditions. I rushed to them as fast as my legs would take me and slowly walked them home.

That night I had them lay down near the fire as I tried everything I could to wrap and dress their wounds. But I'm not a medic. All I knew to do was use sticks to brace Lily's leg as I wrapped it. And I tried using fiber bindings to wrap Prince. But he was so large the bandages couldn't reach around his body. I had to tie them together which reduced their integrity. But I was finally able to wrap him fully just before the sun went down.

That was all I could do for them now.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, stroking Prince's snout as he lay down on his good side.

I stayed up as long as I could, eventually falling asleep still cuddling Prince's head.

When I awoke... Prince was gone. Claimed by his wounds in the dead of night. The fact he died in my arms was my only comfort as I begrudgingly used my axe to harvest his body for hide and meat, watching it disappear into nothing when the resources were exhausted.

I cried for hours afterwards with Lily laying beside me with her head in my lap. Even the Dodos gathered around and sat next to me while I cried. I'd like to think it was their way of trying to comfort me. But who knows? I certainly didn't.

Later that day I crafted a headstone for Prince and placed it under the great tree at the center of my base, and said a prayer for my departed friend before laying down to rest.

"Oi, survivor. What're you up to?"

"Nothing, Helena."

"You won't be able to accomplish much if you just lay down to rest all the time, you know."

"I'm not ready to go out again."

"Is it the Rex?"

"No."

"The Raptor?"

"No."

"Then what's up?"

"Prince."

"The Parasaur? You got the resources from it, right?"

"That's not the problem."

"Okay. I'm a little confused."

My hand gripped the bedding.

"I liked Prince, Helena. And now he's dead. And it feels like I just lost a piece of myself."

"Oh. I think I get it now. Word of advice? Don't get attached to the creatures you tame. They can help you figure out how to get out of the simulation. But they're not pets or family members. After all, if you manage to ascend like my creator did, the dinos won't go with you. So, not much point growing attached to them, yeah?"

I didn't speak to Helena for the rest of the day...

In the days since Prince died, I've been distant with Helena. She's usually silent unless she feels that she needs to alert me of danger, or if there's information she thinks she can provide. Those silent times have been nice. When she chimes in I usually tune her out. I haven't had any desire to speak to her since her comments about not getting attached to the creatures I've tamed.

Deep in my heart I know these creatures aren't real. They're part of a simulation where, if they're killed, they can be harvested for resources and disappear rather than decomposing like a real living thing. But even so, I can't see them as anything other than real. They breathe. They poop. They sleep. They vocalize. They follow me and nuzzle me when I'm sad. They cry in pain when they're hurt. They bleed...

Aren't feeling and caring part of what it means to be real?

"You've been really quiet lately, survivor. Anything I can help with?"

I was caught off guard.

This is the first time Helena's asked out of the blue if there was something she could help with. Let alone acknowledging how quiet I am.

"No. Thank you."

Helena doesn't understand my grief. She made that clear before. And as much as I know she's right about not getting attached, I can't follow her advice. It's just not something I can do. I tried, at first. I tried not getting attached to Donovan. But his awkward squawk and adorable waddle melted my heart almost immediately. I couldn't help but love him. Same with Prince. After taming him, and going through all the effort to see him slowly warm up to me and treat me like a member of a little private herd that was just me and him at first before Lily was tamed...

That's real. Isn't it?

"You know. You haven't checked that Raptor in a couple days. Wanna go check?"

Part of me wanted to, but...

"No."

"You sure? According to my readings on our last feeding, the Raptor's almost ready to open up to you. Who knows? Your next feeding attempt might do it."

"What if it doesn't? What if I feed it and then try to approach, and it comes at me to kill me?"

"Well, you'll die, of course! But hey. Having a Raptor would give you a major advantage when exploring this place. Very few creatures are faster than a Raptor. Even the ol' big mouth Rex can't keep up. And if you can use your own Raptor to help pacify other rogue Raptors and form a pack where you're the pack leader, imagine what you could accomplish!"

I hadn't considered that. I knew Raptors were pack hunters from Helena's past teachings. But I never thought about the idea of forming my own pack. I mean, was it wise to try that? If I did, they could turn on me, couldn't they? I'm just a human. They're Raptors. They're bigger than me. Stronger. Faster. How could I be a pack leader to them? All it would take is one of them thinking I'm not worthy and challenging me to lead the pack, and I'd be dead.

"Would they accept me as pack leader?"

"Hard to say. Raptors are very intelligent. But as long as you convey confidence and show them you can be a good leader they should follow you."

"What if they don't want to follow me?"

"They'll probably see you as prey. And, well, you know what comes next."

"Right."

"But c'mon, now. Wouldn't having your own Raptor pack be something special? I think so."

I couldn't argue. Having my own Raptor, even if it was just the one, would be amazing. I'm still enamored with this one's colors. And there's just something fascinating about how it moves and behaves that I really want to be able to watch unfold naturally. But to do that I need to tame it. Otherwise, I'll become prey.

Having nothing better to do I decided to track the Raptor to see what had happened since the Rex attack. It fled into the forest. And the Rex's arrival has probably changed the nature of the ecosystem in this area. It's an apex predator, after all. If it's still somewhere nearby then it's probably not a good idea for me to wander too far. I hope it's still near where I saw it last.

As I crept along the cliffs near my home towards the swamp, I felt no tremors in the ground. Nor did I hear any roaring or growling. Still, it brought little comfort. Just knowing it had been here in previous days was enough to keep my heart pounding in my throat while I stalked towards the swamp hoping to catch a glimpse of the Raptor, or signs of its presence. I hadn't seen anything of the latter. But when I reached my perch on the cliff overlooking the river surrounding the redwood forest and the swamps to the South, I saw a Raptor down below. But it wasn't the one I'd been seeing before.

This one was darker. Almost black. Its feathers were a dull, mid-tone gray. But the two large claws on the insides of its feet were a deep crimson. Was it blood? Or was it just the pigment of the keratin in their claws? I'd noticed a few creatures with strange and unnatural colorations on their bodies, like the Rex. Thinking back, it had an almost all white body with a greenish-gray stripe down its back and along the crest of its head. How could it have reached adulthood with a white coloration? That would prevent it from being able to function as an ambush predator, right? I mean, it did successfully ambush me. I'd been so focused on the Raptor that I neglected to watch my own back because I had the Parasaurs helping me. They called to me before it arrived and started fleeing. I should have grabbed them and fled the instant they called.

But even so, I'm not a survivor. Even if Helena's constantly calling me one. I should have been the easy prey. Prince didn't deserve that.

... I'm getting off track.

The Rex. I can't get it out of my head how it managed to reach adulthood when its body was pure white. A snowy white. That's called albinism, right? An albino? But most of them aren't supposed to reach maturity outside of captivity. At least, not as far as my high school biology classes taught me. But that's not exactly an accurate scientific reference, is it? High school class?

Regardless, I kept watch on the Raptor down below and contemplated trying to tame it as well. But...

I froze.

I don't know why. It was an instinct. Ever since the Rex attack I've had the feeling I'm being watched, or stalked. But there aren't any other people here to make me feel like that, are there? If not a human, it has to be a creature. And that feeling just overtook me in full.

There's something behind me.

I can hear the soft tap of feet in the grass. It's approaching slowly. Quietly. Stalking me. Hunting me.

I dare not turn around quickly, lest I spark a sudden attack. But I can't just stay still anymore. I have to get away. Now. But how can I? It's at my back.

I turned my head slowly over my shoulder. And to both my shock and horror, the Raptor I'd been tracking was staring at me in a crouched position from the tree line. Slowly, I hunched down and tucked my legs under myself so I'd be ready to spring to my feet and run. Not that I felt it would do much good. I couldn't outrun it.

The wind was behind me, coming from the direction of the redwoods and swamps. The Raptor must've smelled me and the meat on my arrow and used it to locate me. But it's not attacking, yet. It's just watching me. Or, is it...

I moved the arrow to my right, and its eyes trailed the meat on the end. I moved it left, its eyes followed.

Am I smiling? I think I am. I shouldn't be. Right? I'm at its mercy. And yet, I feel in control all of a sudden.

I removed the meat from the arrow and tossed it towards the Raptor. It watched the meat, looked up at me, and then came forward and started eating.

I dared not move. It was just food. And if this wasn't enough to pacify it then I was undoubtedly its next meal plan. I watched it finish the meal I'd prepared for it. And when it looked up at me I stood as tall as I could. I remember old animal attack documentary videos saying making yourself bigger makes other animals see you as more intimidating. All I could do was hope that was true here. If it saw me as an intimidating provider of food, then I was a pack leader. Right?

The Raptor slowly approached me.

This is it. I thought.

I was either about to be accepted as a pack leader, dismissed entirely, or killed.

It walked right up and sniffed my stomach. It stood up and looked me in the eye. It took a step to the side and sniffed my hip. It walked behind me and sniffed my back and... Lower. It came around front and continued sniffing me. Especially my hand which I'd used to throw the meat towards it. It even licked my hand. Probably hoping to get more meat or the juices from it. Thankfully, it didn't bite me.

It stood in front of me and stared at me, twitching its tail and occasionally chirping at me.

"Hey, survivor. Check out its ribs. It must be starving."

Helena was right. The Raptor was very thin compared to the last time I saw it. Its ribs were showing. And its legs didn't look as muscular. It seemed the Rex's presence had indeed affected the ecosystem as I thought. It's been eating all the prey in the area and leaving little to nothing for the Raptor or other carnivores.

I kept one eye on the Raptor as I accessed my inventory via my arm implant. I'd kept some extra meat with me, just in case. I brought it out and the Raptor immediately lurched forward and snatched it from my hands.

"Psst. Hey. Get another piece. But don't hand it over right away. Make it wait. Otherwise you'll make it think it's in charge."

I did as Helena suggested and prepared another piece of meat while the Raptor finished its meal. It tried leaning in to take the meat, but I held it away and stepped further in front of the creature. It didn't seem to like that, and growled at me. But I held firm. I did my best to keep my breathing steady as I stood tall and puffed out my chest. It chirped angrily at me. But it wasn't lashing out at me.

Eventually, the Raptor took a step backwards.

"Now." Helena whispered.

I tossed the Raptor the meat, and it eagerly snapped it out of the air and began eating. Once finished, it remained at the distance and kept staring at me.

"I think you're good, survivor. Try walking back to camp. But go slow. Move too quick and you might trigger its predatory drive to hunt again."

I took a deep breath and took a step forward towards the Raptor. At first it didn't move. But as I took another step closer it stepped aside and allowed me to pass by. After a few more steps it started following me. With each step, my confidence grew. And by the time we exited the trees and reached the sands of the beach I couldn't stop smiling.

"I've done it!"

I think my cheer startled the Raptor as it started chirping frantically. I calmed myself and turned around, offering it another piece of meat after it relaxed and stepped back again. While it was eating I approached and stroked its neck and shoulder, which it didn't seem to mind.

"It's a girl. Got a name for her?"

I felt my smile widen.

"Yes."

I gave the Raptor a pat on the back and returned to camp.

I knew this would bring about a major change for me. But I could never have guessed just how big of a change was truly coming just around the corner.

Current Location
Current Location.jpg

My exploration efforts are growing bolder.

With my new Raptor, Hana, at my side I've managed to travel much further down the rivers to the North of the redwood forest. Doing so has allowed me to witness much more beauty and violence than I'd ever imagined possible before coming to this simulated world. The predators in this region are so varied and numerous. It's hard to imagine an ecosystem could remain stable with so many.

There are raptors, those large birds that run swiftly in packs, which Helena called Terror Birds, giant snakes called Titanoboas, large bears called Dire Bears, and massive carnivores that almost look like big raptors with horns on their heads called Carnotaurs. To make matters worse, I saw a Spinosaurus lurking in the waters of the river further to the East. I recognize it from Jurassic Park 3 from when I was young. It was always one of my least favorite creatures from that series. Not because of it defeating a T Rex, though. But because it always frightened me.

Thus far Hana's kept me safe from the predators of the redwoods and beaches. Most of them won't come near me with her by my side. But some of them are growing more persistent in their attempts to approach. Hana's shrieks and displays of ferocity usually drive them away. But I think they're starting to realize it's a bluff. Hana can't defeat a flock of those Terror Birds on her own. And I think they're starting to figure it out.

I returned home with Hana after a few hours of exploring the beaches. Hana noticed we were being followed by those birds as we approached the tree line and charged them to scare them off. After making sure we weren't followed any further we returned home to Lily, Donovan, Cream and Puff. I deposited what materials we'd harvested together into my storage box and made sure I had plenty of cooked meat and water in the new water skin I made the other day.

As I sat down to think about all we'd seen today, something was bothering me.

"Helena."

"Right here, survivor. What'chya need?"

"The larger carnivores. Carnotaurus, I think you called it?"

"Yep. Or just Carno, for short."

"How can I tame them? They seem too big and dangerous to be tamed just by throwing meat at them. Is there another way?"

"You could try knocking them out."

"How?"

"Well, there's a recipe for Narcotics I can share with you. And you can dip your arrows in that to make them have tranquilizing properties."

"So, I'd have to shoot them with those arrows? Won't it hurt them?"

"Undoubtedly. But, hey. A few little pinches from some tranq arrows followed by a steady feed while they're semi-conscious outghta do the trick."

"Do you know that for sure?"

"Hard to say if it's guaranteed. But it's worked for other survivors before you."

Helena really hasn't gotten any better at talking to me and making me feel confident or comfortable. Honestly, it gets kind of irritating. I don't know whether to call her cynical, or tactless. Maybe a bit of both. Was her creator this way? She mentioned something about having her creator's memories before. Did their personality get transferred to her as well?

I shook my head as I realized I was getting distracted. The knowledge of narcotics she shared with me said it required the black narcoberries that I found in the bushes around my home, and spoiled meat. She had a recipe for a meat spoiler that could take meat from my inventory and spoil it quickly. So, I decided to craft the meat spoiler using wood, thatch, fiber, and hide, and then started crafting the narcotics using what berries and spoiled meat I had in the mortar and pestle I'd made a few days ago.

I was able to make 15 narcotics. And after dipping the tips of my 30 arrows into it, I saw they were now "tranq arrows" in my inventory.

I also made a saddle for Hana when I saw it was available. Now able to ride on her back and control her directly, we made our way back to the river to see if it was possible to tame one of the larger carnivores with my arrows and some of the meat I had in my inventory. We wandered back and forth for a long time waiting for a good test subject. And finally, after hours of wandering and watching and waiting we saw a Carno emerge from the redwoods.

I waited for it to wander closer to the river before drawing my bow and lining up my show. When it stopped to drink I let fly, but the arrow dropped into the water a few meters away. I notched another and aimed higher, and this time the arrow struck it just outside the left shoulder. The Carno immediately flinched, roared in anger, and looked around for whatever had just stung it. I let fly with another arrow which struck true in its side. But that also let it look in my direction as it started charging forward into the water.

I kept firing arrows into its hide as it slowly swam through the water. But as it reached land and started charging again I hopped onto Hana's back and used her speed to keep my distance.

Before long, I ran out of arrows with the Carno still chasing me. But it was wobbly. I continued to lead it in circles until it finally slowed down and collapsed in the grass. Cautiously we watched it for a minute before I hopped off Hana and approached to pull my arrows free of its hide. When I did, they were regular arrows again. I recovered only 8 of the 15 that I fired, though. The rest were broken or had disappeared since I first fired them.

When I got close enough, I saw a sort of HUD appear over the Carno. It showed me that it was unconscious with a progress bar that was going down indicating when it would wake up. There was also a taming bar beneath it that was currently at 0%. I also saw that the unconscious animal had an inventory. Given that I was able to feed Hana with meat, I figured it would be the same here. I put some of the meat from my own inventory into the Carno's inventory, and it almost immediately lifted its head with a piece of meat in its mouth that it groggily munched on before swallowing and laying its head back down.

A rather odd experience, to say the least. But it was working.

What a strange simulation.

I waited for hours while the Carno continued eating meat and slowly raising its taming bar. And I have to admit. As scary as it was to see this beast charging at me it was also much, much easier and faster than waiting days or weeks for it to eat one piece of meat at a time while throwing them or firing them from arrows at a distance.

As the sun set and the night carried on, Hana and I continued to sit together and wait for the Carno to tame. I had to manually feed it narcoberries after harvesting the bushes in the area to keep its unconscious meter high. But I only had to do that occasionally. So, it wasn't too bad.

Come morning, the Carno was only one feeding from being tamed. I stood beside it, waiting to greet it once it awoke. My heart was pounding. What if it didn't work? What if it still didn't recognize me as its leader and killed me on the spot? What would happen to Hana? And my creatures at home? If I couldn't feed them they'd die of starvation inside the wooden walls.

But, at last, the Carno woke up. As it stood it stretched its back and neck, shook its head, and looked down at me. I froze, not daring to move as I tried to stand tall and look like a pack leader. Hana was behind me, and she was rather calm which gave me some comfort. The Carno leaned down and sniffed me before standing back up and waiting beside me.

I'd done it!

I could hardly contain myself. I hopped on Hana's back and led the Carno back to our home where I learned how to craft a saddle for it, put it on, and took it for a stroll down the peninsula.

But when I did, I heard a deep, familiar roar echoing in the distance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back