Anyone Still Play Older Pokemon Games?

DaedAir

A Tainted Heart With Good Intentions
So I realize that this is a very long long shot.

But I was wondering if anyone still plays the old Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen Games???

Or any of the older Pokemon Games (Gen. 4 and older)??

If so, how do you like it compared to the other games?

Starter Pokemon?

Have you gone on a Nuzlock Challenge?

If so, what one(s)?

I am currently playing Pokemon FireRed. I am choosing Charmander. I am going on a Shiny Challenge and a Nuzlock challenge in which to catch all my Pokemon, I am only using the standard (regular) red and white Pokeball.

I think the older games are probably more popular than you'd suspect, considering there was a recent official rerelease of Red, Blue, and Yellow for the 3DS Virtual Console. Personally I have a copy of Platinum and a copy of Soul Silver on my eternal backlog, I might play one of them this summer... none of the GBA games though. I'd like to pick up Fire Red or Leaf Green eventually but buying older Pokemon games is kind of a minefield because bootlegs are so, so common and the official copies are generally way more expensive than what I'm willing to pay for a single game. I might end up just emulating it sometime in the future.

I've never done any challenge runs though as I haven't actually legitimately completed a single game in the series. My old, old copy of Blue was completed but I don't count it as legit because hooo boy I loved dem glitches. I had Gold Version too but I got distracted halfway through, never went back to my old file, and that's been the story for all the other Pokemon games I own as well. But lately I've been clearing through my backlog pretty quickly so I might finally break my self-imposed curse soon. :D

Favorite starters... I couldn't pick one for Gen 1 because they're all equally dear to me. Gen 2 I'd probably say Chikorita, Gen 3... Mudkip? Gen 4... uh, Piplup, I think. I do notice when I play I tend to choose the Fire starter though because I think I read somewhere at one point that Fire Pokemon aren't terribly common so it kind of stuck in my head. There isn't a starter I don't like.

Does playing Pokemmo count?

Ehehe, I sometimes revisit Emerald, but that's about it. It might be nostalgia, but I like the way they did the Battle Frontier more than in any other game. Granted, I haven't reached the END end of ORAS yet because I really want a perfect Rayquaza. Even though there's a 99.9% chance that I would never be able to use one in tournament, I would want it anyway just because Rayquaza is my favorite legendary esp. with its mega form. Anyway, point is, I don't know how end game for ORAS is compared to Emerald, but as it stands now, it's my favorite Battle Frontier format.

Treecko is my favorite starter hands down (maybe only contested by Totodile). When I was mowing through Emerald in Pokemmo though, I was using the Aerodactyl and Tangela I had gotten from my FR run, but I soon enough swapped it out for Teddiursa and Swinub. So yeah, Treecko didn't really play much of a role in that at all. Same thing as with Bulbasaur in my FR run. The first Pokemon I encountered that became a permanent part of my in-game team was a Sandshrew. \o/ diversity.

I've done really simple versions of Nuzlocke, but if I were to be honest, I can't remember if I ever did any one of them successfully. I get really attached to those Pokemon for whatever reason and I don't want to let them go so I've cheated and given them extra "chances" and stuff LMAO. But I really ought to try to crack down, make it as difficult as possible for me and stuff. They might be more entertaining if I hadn't already raised those same twenty or so Pokemon a dozen times. I think Nuzlocke is only something I've done with Emerald if I were to be honest in a very standard format.

bro i have a reeeaaalllllyyy old pokemon card. it is the japan version that says poke monsters that was the name before pokemon its a ranbow atom holo can anyone check the rarity on that but otherwise yea i play pokemon yellow and boy its fun

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have and play the original Pokemon Red and Blue and Yellow on my still living and working Gameboy Color. Not to sound like a snob but you consider Gen IV old? Lol. Kids these days.

Anyway, the original Pokemon games are, to me, still the best of the bunch. I can't stand the same old plot and the same game with a different paint job in the newer generations that they've given us. I can't get excited for them anymore. It's just the same thing with a different package and Pokemon list. It's growing stale, and the ever expanding list of Pokemon is slowly suffocating the franchise and killing the fan base, especially the older gamers like myself (shut up, I'm not THAT old).

My favorite older game was leaf green and I wat hed my brother play fire red on our game boys sadly I got mine destroyed when my mom was mad but I still remember you got my mind working and im going to bye it again thank-you plus charmander was my favorite because I watched my brother use him

Or her can't remember

Users who are viewing this thread

Back