• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

SirDerpingtonIV said:
Do you... Know what horse archers are used for?
*Sigh* No idea. Please enlighten me. I'm sure the Reach will just sit around and let them raid away... Oh, wait...

Unfortunately mounted archers are the bane of most militaries, medieval and classical. .

Fucking Parthians. They're just very hard to counter. Especially once you get to Mongol levels.

Yeah horse archers are kind of just the people you want to surround or ambush. But catching them in either of those things are REALLY hard.

Can someone link me/quote the chapter about Dorne having horse archers? I can't find anything on the subject.

Dorne probably has no more than 1,500 horse archers, who aren't on the level of Mongols/Parthians/Dothraki, and are out of their element. The rest of the Dornish army can't actively avoid a pitched battle, if they route; why would the horse archers stick around? Dorne would probably turn on whoever got them into the war, I.e Cayden.

Provided they even support him at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheAncientCenturion said:
Unfortunately mounted archers are the bane of most militaries, medieval and classical. .
Fucking Parthians. They're just very hard to counter. Especially once you get to Mongol levels.
Leusis said:
Yeah horse archers are kind of just the people you want to surround or ambush. But catching them in either of those things are REALLY hard.
Dragonfire from above works pretty well I've heard. :P

One problem on playing dorne is they are the least elaborated on of the free cities. So its hard to get real accurate info on their military standings. The fact they spread rumors to hype themselves up doesn't help

Archon said:
*Sigh* No idea. Please enlighten me. I'm sure the Reach will just sit around and let them raid away... Oh, wait...
Horse archers were, for those that used them, terrifying instruments of battle. Whenever nomadic tribes group of, (mostly using horse archers, may I add) they kick fucking ass. Key examples being the Huns, Mongols, and Turks.

The steeds horse archers ride usually have far greater stamina than those that a knight would ride, meaning they can outrun you all day long. Or several days, In the case of the battle of Kalka River.

Dorne isn't a military power. It's a nation that defended itself through any means necessary, fighting off dragons, using horrible tactics, but the end of the day they were independent. I'd not think of them as The Reach, The West, or the North. These pure powers that can raise large forces and fight traditional wars. Dorne is special, as are the Martell's.

Akio said:
One problem on playing dorne is they are the least elaborated on of the free cities. So its hard to get real accurate info on their military standings. The fact they spread rumors to hype themselves up doesn't help
Dorne is not a free city. Also, am I the only one think that the Dothraki aren't that good?

SirDerpingtonIV said:
Dorne is not a free city. Also, am I the only one think that the Dothraki aren't that good?
I am torn on them. The Dothraki are very good at destroying enemies for several reasons. But if we're talking about in a sense Westerosi armies? They're. . Underwhelming. A majority of their riders would be defeated by a solid center of heavy infantry.

SirDerpingtonIV said:
You were just hyping up horse archers, heh, the Dothraki are the ones that use them.

Dorne isn't a military power. It's a nation that defended itself through any means necessary, fighting off dragons, using horrible tactics, but the end of the day they were independent. I'd not think of them as The Reach, The West, or the North. These pure powers that can raise large forces and fight traditional wars. Dorne is special, as are the Martell's.
Naturally and I was never planning to fight this war fair, just saying I wish I had some identifiable feats for their armies and not just rumors

SirDerpingtonIV said:
Why did I say free city, spending to much time in essos

I am torn on them. The Dothraki are very good at destroying enemies for several reasons. But if we're talking about in a sense Westerosi armies? They're. . Underwhelming. A majority of their riders would be defeated by a solid center of heavy infantry.
I mean like, what do they have going for them, besides numbers?

Don't worry I have completed the trinity of North, West and East no more characters will be posted except potential future Mormonts

Hypnos said:
You were just hyping up horse archers, heh, the Dothraki are the ones that use them.
I know, but the Dothraki are all unarmored dudes with blades that don't work on armor that use no tactics ever. in comparison, the Mongols are gods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back