• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

Leusis said:
Westerlands is only sending 40,000 off to war with whoever the fuck they decide to fight. They are leaving like 24,200 behind to defend due to the fact they've hired like 9,200 mercenaries. They'd be able to defend against the entirety of the Northern army and utterly crush them unless the Riverlands gave them like 10,000 men. Men they likely don't want to send to the Westerlands because the Vale will screw the Riverlands if they do.
30800 actually, combined with 9200 would still make up 40000 strong marching south, leaving a good number behind to defend the homeland, that's excluding the navy depending on deployment schemes of it.

Archon said:
No, I said it would fall with maybe 9,000 Northmen left from taking the fort, this is 18,000 vs 10,000, correct?
The Golden tooth is only a small castle, I don't see why a siege engines wouldn't be effective.
Because of terrain. It overlooks a hill road coming up the mountain towards the Westerlands. The mountain would just form a sloped wall against attackers. I never said siege weapons wouldn't work either, just that they'll have to come up a (probably steep) incline to get to a castle wall, all while being attacked by the defenders.

This is still an assault, which requires at the best of times a 3:1 force ratio, while that doesn't mean the North needs to outnumber the Westermen 3:1, just that they need to be better than them by 3:1. They aren't better than them 1:1 right now, so they need at least 20000 men against the 10000 defending just like the ratio would be needed for most castles. This isn't a fight on the fields where numbers can make all the difference. It's in a hilly region with choke points and narrow passes. I won't speak on the losses, but it'll be a hell lot more lopsided than 1:1 kill death ratio, especially with the defender's terrain and homefield advantage. 18000 men probably won't be able to break through at Golden Tooth.

Leusis said:
It is a small but strong castle according to A Wiki of Ice and Fire. Just because a castle is small doesn't mean its not a very strong defensive position.
Boom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, what? You're ONLY sending 40,000 against the 80,000 strong Reach?! What...

How do you expect this to end?!

No argument about the Golden Tooth, provided 24,000 defenders is enough to keep the Westerlands secure; just fail to see 40,000 Westermen doing anything when fighting in Reach territory, against far superior numbers, with plenty of open-fields where heavy mounted troops will make quick work out of Westerland infantry.

There's probably something I'm missing.

Archon said:
Wait, what? You're ONlY sending 40,000 against the 80,000 strong Reach?! What...
How do you expect this to end?!
I expect the Reach to not be able to summon all 80000 of their men to face against Tiber's 40000. I expect somewhere between 45000-55000 max given the amount of time it took to raise a force. It's not like Highgarden can snap a finger and boom, 80000 men strong army appears like an RTS trainer.

WanderingJester said:
I expect the Reach to not be able to summon all 80000 of their men to face against Tiber's 40000. I expect somewhere between 45000-55000 max given the amount of time it took to raise a force. It's not like Highgarden can snap a finger and boom, 80000 men strong army appears like an RTS trainer.
Their is also the fact if dorne attacks with them they have to split their forces

Bu

WanderingJester said:
But Tiber can gather 40,000 with a click of the fingers, and only be met with half the Reach strength, despite them knowing he's marching South?

How's that work?

The reach is scattered and the Tarly's are only gathering so many men right now (probably somewhere around 40,000) to combat the Westerlands when they invade. If the Westerlands wins the first engagement decisively they have a chance to weaken the rest of the lords while they are scattered and not unified and win the war. I'm not saying this is very likely but a win is possible if done very very well. Add the Dornish into it and they might not be a hu8ge factor but they can keep about 10,000-15,000 Reach forces occupied while Tiber wins the battle in the north and starts slaughtering lords that are scattered and weak. At that point the force that was fighting Dorne would be stuck between the Dornish and Tiber's remaining forces.

Red said:
I've been meaning to ask @Robyn Banks,
what's Kuvira's opinion of the Lannisters right now?
Meh they're fine. So you'll live.

SirDerpingtonIV said:
Bring it on, sister. The commoners support me. Their beggar King. Come to me in the Dragon Pit and all the people of this great city will get to watch the dragons dance.
I'll take you up on that offer. Prepare to die!

Archon said:
But Tiber can gather 40,000 with a click of the fingers, and only be met with half the Reach strength, despite them knowing he's marching South?
How's that work?
You know Tiber has been gathering forces for the last like two months right?

[QUOTE="Robyn Banks]Meh they're fine. So you'll live.
I'll take you up on that offer. Prepare to die!

[/QUOTE]
Ahaahahahahaha

Archon said:
Bu

How's that work?
A click of his fingers? It took months of recruitment, not to mention the core of his army literally took years to build and train starting from the end of the War of the Lions, which happened several years ago. This recruitment started before the Mad King's death and continued throughout the RP. It was by no means and stretch of the imagination a "click of his fingers."

Leusis said:
Even longer than that if you want to get technical but yes. Good point.

Dorne luckily gathers its army quickly being the smallest and least populated. Dorne can probably gather 15000 pretty quickly

Akio said:
Their is also the fact if dorne attacks with them they have to split their forces
No, they don't, Dorne loses to 15,000.

Open-fields, heavy cavalry, unfamiliar weather for Dornishmen. Honestly, Dorne is lucky to get 15,000 men into the war; why would any Dornish House want to march North against the most powerful realm in the Seven Kingdoms?

Dorne are patriotic when it comes to their home, that goes against them here; they wouldn't want to go on the attack.

Leusis said:
And the Reach decided "Hey, look, Tiber's gathering his banners! Not a big deal though, whatever guys." Seems only the Tarly's have any sense in the Reach.

To be fair, I still can't see Tiber winning 40,000 vs 40,000; like I said, this is the open fields of the Reach; the Westerlands specialize in heavy infantry, and the Reach heavy cavalry. A direct counter as far as I'm concerned.

GRRM probably made it that way.

To be honest, winning the first engageent is possible; but decisively? Tat seems very far-fetched. That would be far more impressive than the Trident.

Archon said:
Open-fields, heavy cavalry, unfamiliar weather for Dornishmen. Honestly, Dorne is lucky to get 15,000 men into the war; why would any Dornish House want to march North against the most powerful realm in the Seven Kingdoms?

Dorne are patriotic when it comes to their home, that goes against them here; they wouldn't want to go on the attack.

And the Reach decided "Hey, look, Tiber's gathering his banners! Not a big deal though, whatever guys." Seems only the Tarly's have any sense in the Reach.

To be fair, I still can't see Tiber winning 40,000 vs 40,000; like I said, this is the open fields of the Reach; the Westerlands specialize in heavy infantry, and the Reach heavy cavalry. A direct counter as far as I'm concerned.

To be honest, winning the first engageent is possible; but decisively? Tat seems very far-fetched. That would be far more impressive than the Trident.
They'll be going as raiders as they've done since the days of old. Dornish have been raiding for years and while the reach heavy Calvary is a problem there are ways to counter. As for why they would want to go up because Cayden is taking over house Martell and most dornish hate the reach?

Winning a battle decisively with even numbers on both sides only needs a good commander on one side and a poor one on the other to make it happen.

Archon said:

Blame House Tyrell (and Lord Tyrell) for its indecision. You're right though: the only people who seemed to have any sense in the Reach at the moment are House Tarly and company. *shrug*

Won't dispute about the fighting either. The Reachlords are better equipped for fighting in the fields of Reach than the Westerlands. No doubt there.

I'm not denying dorne and the west would be at a disadvantage they can swing the board to getting closer to even then most

Dorne/Westerlands would be a VERY BIG threat to the Reach though even if they are better equipped for fighting in the plains. This will not be by any means an easy war for the Reach because they could be fighting a two front war against a pretty weak opponent and the only other house that comes even close to rivaling them. I have no doubt the Reach holds the advantage if this war occurs but I just think you are underestimating the threat the Reach faces.

Akio said:
They'll be going as raiders as they've done since the days of old. Dornish have been raiding for years and while the reach heavy Calvary is a problem there are ways to counter. As for why they would want to go up because Cayden is taking over house Martell and most Dornish hate the reach?
They aren't a problem; they will utterly eviscerate the light-armored Dornish. If Dorne had some heavy spearmen, I'd be afraid, but it's entirely light cavalry/infantry.

Anyway, I think we can agree this can go either way; the indecision of House Tyrell basically means the Reach is slightly disadvantaged, but still has the overall advantage. It favors the Reach slightly, but it seems the Westerlands have many strong Commanders - and the Reach few.

I feel like since Jester controls Tiber and the Tarly's this war is going to end up being like Jester playing chess with himself.

No

Leusis said:
Dorne/Westerlands would be a VERY BIG threat to the Reach though even if they are better equipped for fighting in the plains. This will not be by any means an easy war for the Reach because they could be fighting a two front war against a pretty weak opponent and the only other house that comes even close to rivaling them. I have no doubt the Reach holds the advantage if this war occurs but I just think you are underestimating the threat the Reach faces.
,I'm not. I was, but now I'm not.

I thought it massively unfair Tiber be allowed all his foce, and not the Reach; but he's been gathering his banners IC, without so much as a peep from anyone beside Helyon.

I still disagree about Dorne, one decisive battle won against them, could remove them from the war. Seriously, the Reach cavalry would roll over the light infanttry of Dorne, spears or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back