• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

Archon said:
I'm absolutely awful at maths, but what would your final verdict on the fraction of the Westerlands that can be fed? 1/8? That seems reasonable. But I wouldn't know.
Probably close 1/7 but yeah, 1/4 was inflated quite a bit unless I wanted to turn like 80% of the landmass into farmlands which would be completely out of the question. Even doing 50% would be rather difficult without Lannister support.

Leusis said:
Probably close 1/7 but yeah, 1/4 was inflated quite a bit unless I wanted to turn like 80% of the landmass into farmlands which would be completely out of the question. Even doing 50% would be rather difficult without Lannister support.
My biggest concern is with the Westerlands lack of fertile lands, I doubt that planting a few fish in the ground or shitting on the fields would make 50% of the island into farmville.

Archon said:
I may have inflated the initial numbers in the bibliography beyond reason, but within reason, I figured 5,800 wasn't out of the question. I know what you're going to say, that it slightly unreasonable and doesn't make a lot of sense - but I'd plead that House Frey is above any minor house, and slightly below any City. The Hightowers can reach 8,000-10,000. White Harbor has both a large army, and a very large fleet.
Based on the books, it seems they've always had 5,000 men at least. They lost around 1,500 with Robb, even more at the Twins/ against the BWB, lets say, 500. Let's say Walder leaves 1,500 behind to defend the Crossing; Still at the Siege of Riverrun Jaime describes seeing Frey banners everywhere.

I'm not saying Fair Isle can never grow to be prosperous, just that doubling the army and feeding 1/4 of the Westerlands seemed inflated. I, too, agree Roland could turn Fair Isle into the most powerful vassal Tiber has, since the vassals of the Westerlands seem to be the weakest among the great houses. Probably because Tywin centralized power on him. I also agree that by the time New Ghis is an Empire, Fair Isle will be just that.

I'm absolutely awful at maths, but what would your final verdict on the fraction of the Westerlands that can be fed? 1/8? That seems reasonable. But I wouldn't know.
I'm sorry, but I can't accept House Frey at 5800 strong. Not because I have anything against House Frey, but rather RP canon wise they'll be stronger than their overlord, House Tully, at 5500 strong maximum recruitment. At that point it would seem almost ludicrous to be a vassal. I understand with House Hightower with their 7000 vs Tyrell's 6000 men, but House Hightower is a very very very special case, and only because in regular ASoIaF canon they're already up there with that many people. I'll be happy to discuss the exact strength of House Frey in pm with the other GMs if you would like, but right now I'll have to continue with @Hypnos 's spreadsheet numbers in discussion.

Honestly, I'm fuck all (read: stupid) with numbers, especially since I'm not sure if there's an actual canon listings of (approximate) strength for all the houses in ASoIaF (and also because me and numbers don't mix well). So in regards to how much food Fair Isle can produce and how much of the Westerlands it can feed, I'll leave it to more knowledgeable people to figure that out through discussion while taking in each side's points (I don't know any details on the amount of agriculture vs feeding populous). I can't honestly say how many mouths Fair Isle can feed at maximum production down the road, because so many conditions influence crop harvest load, season to season alone, not to mention what's trying to be done here with what is essentially a start up for an entire industry in a local region. I can throw a random number off the top of my head, but that would do a disservice to intelligent conversation in regards to this subject.

SirDerpingtonIV said:
@WanderingJester
Hope you don't mind if my next few posts are short. I can't extend conversation posts too long.
All good man. So long as you're having fun, staying true to character and no breaking the rules of the RP, your posts are good to me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lancelot said:
My biggest concern is with the Westerlands lack of fertile lands, I doubt that planting a few fish in the ground or shitting on the fields would make 50% of the island into farmville.
But thats why planting fish and shit is so reasonable as a way to get that area much more fertile than it once was. Because just getting the fish and shit to do it, let alone hiring people to do it and the amount of time it would take to do that to 50% of the land would take years and a fortune. But within a decade or so the money and time spent doing it would definitely be worth it.

Leusis said:
But thats why planting fish and shit is so reasonable as a way to get that area much more fertile than it once was. Because just getting the fish and shit to do it, let alone hiring people to do it and the amount of time it would take to do that to 50% of the land would take years and a fortune. But within a decade or so the money and time spent doing it would definitely be worth it.
Yeah I guess you are right if everything goes perfectly and if the land is even usable.

If any place in the Westerlands is suitable for this kind of project its Fair Isle though because its the flattest and likely one of the most fertile regions right now.

Leusis said:

WanderingJester said:
I'm sorry, but I can't accept House Frey at 5800 strong. Not because I have anything against House Frey, but rather RP canon wise they'll be stronger than their overlord, House Tully, at 5500 strong maximum recruitment. At that point it would seem almost ludicrous to be a vassal. I understand with House Hightower with their 7000 vs Tyrell's 6000 men, but House Hightower is a very very very special case, and only because in regular ASoIaF canon they're already up there with that many people. I'll be happy to discuss the exact strength of House Frey in pm with the other GMs if you would like, but right now I'll have to continue with @Hypnos 's spreadsheet numbers in discussion.
Honestly, I'm fuck all (read: stupid) with numbers, especially since I'm not sure if there's an actual canon listings of (approximate) strength for all the houses in ASoIaF (and also because me and numbers don't mix well). So in regards to how much food Fair Isle can produce and how much of the Westerlands it can feed, I'll leave it to more knowledgeable people to figure that out through discussion while taking in each side's points (I don't know any details on the amount of agriculture vs feeding populous). I can't honestly say how many mouths Fair Isle can feed at maximum production down the road, because so many conditions influence crop harvest load, season to season alone, not to mention what's trying to be done here with what is essentially a start up for an entire industry in a local region. I can throw a random number off the top of my head, but that would do a disservice to intelligent conversation in regards to this subject.

All good man. So long as you're having fun, staying true to character and no breaking the rules of the RP, your posts are good to me :)
It's really no problem, honestly House Frey is the most inconsistent house militarily throughout the books, the numbers have never added up. It's literally impossible to pinpoint their exact military strength, because they appear to have lost a lot of soldiers, yet somehow still have soldiers all over the shop. I'm happy with 3,800, I'm happy with 5,800.

But if we go with 3,800 I'm going to assume Egyll still has the Toll savings, and hasn't spent any on additional troops.

Archon said:
It's really no problem, honestly House Frey is the most inconsistent house militarily throughout the books, the numbers have never added up. It's literally impossible to pinpoint their exact military strength, because they appear to have lost a lot of soldiers, yet somehow still have soldiers all over the shop. I'm happy with 3,800, I'm happy with 5,800.
But if we go with 3,800 I'm going to assume Egyll still has the Toll savings, and hasn't spent any on additional troops.
I can already hear Egylls hands rubbing ferociously

Archon said:
The Freys have 4,700 men if you count Haigh, Erenford and Charlton, that is still a lot of men.

Hypnos said:
The Freys have 4,700 men if you count Haigh, Erenford and Charlton, that is still a lot of men.
Without a doubt, I'm honestly fine with that sum of troops. Since as you said, that is still a lot more than the majority of minor houses.

Rest assured though, Walder and Egyll can have some jolly cooperation at the wedding!

Lancelot said:
I don't think you can plant something in salt water.
If its fish ill plant the fish on the coast and grow fish, thats how this works right? Well at least dorne is somewhat wealthy, due to the amount of trade they get with a large part of their country bordering water

Akio said:
If its fish ill plant the fish on the coast and grow fish, thats how this works right? Well at least dorne is somewhat wealthy, due to the amount of trade they get with a large part of their country bordering water
Salt is like an anti-fertiliser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back