Thaumaturgy

A quick question before I spend money on anything from the 2nd edition because no one around here seems to carry it.  Do they mention thaumaturgy in 2nd edition?  If they do, is it better, worse or the same as it was in 1st edition?

Yes they do. I haven't read that section of the book in detail but I think the Player's Guide has more information.

I don't have it with me right now so I can't check for definite.

It's present, and more streamlined (no more artificial separation of Arts and Sciences), but far inferior in breadth and detail to 1st Ed (3 pages worth). I suspect that it was thrown in as a sample placeholder, and a more thorough treatment will be forthcoming in one of the sorcery splats. At leeast, it better...

I expect we're only going to get more flavour and specific rituals/formulae. The rules in the 2E core are simple and comprehensive; that's why there's very little space given to them. You learn Arts and Sciences as Occult specialties and the level of specialty you have determines what thaumaturgy actions you can take. I can't see that system being changed; any add-ons are likely to consist of more rituals and Arts etc.

A quick question before I spend money on anything from the 2nd edition because no one around here seems to carry it.  Do they mention thaumaturgy in 2nd edition?  If they do' date=' is it better, worse or the same as it was in 1st edition?[/quote']
It's similar.  It's divided into Arts and each Art has three degree levels.  To purchase each level requires 6 XP, so to get the Art of Summoning at level 3, which is the Master level, would require 18 XP.

Quorlox said:
It's similar.  It's divided into Arts and each Art has three degree levels.  To purchase each level requires 6 XP, so to get the Art of Summoning at level 3, which is the Master level, would require 18 XP.
 I think it's 8/10 xp, depending on whether Occult is favored or not. Also, there are Occult minimums for each of the degrees--Occ 1 for lvl 1, Occ 3 for lvl 2, and Occ 5 for lvl 3.

I think it's 8/10 xp, depending on whether Occult is favored or not. Also, there are Occult minimums for each of the degrees--Occ 1 for lvl 1, Occ 3 for lvl 2, and Occ 5 for lvl 3.
You're right.  I don't know why I thought 6 XP.   :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back