Viewpoint What Are Pairings You Don't Care For In RP

Bad Boy x Good Girl.

Can't stand it, sorry.

I only like the inverse of it, i.e. Good Boy x Bad Girl.

Also, I'm not keen on OC x OC or OC x Canon for the most part. Hence I'll usually only do it for the sake of the other person, and provided I get my pairing played out. Usually CC x CC, with rare exception.

If I may be perfectly honest, and this may be a bit of a hot take, the very idea of pairing itself is something I don't really care for anymore. If romance is going to happen I would prefer it happen naturally between two characters who are compatible and actually do and say things that appeal to each other and spark that sexual tension in the air between them which leads to further exploration of a possible relationship.

That said, as long as pairings are done well I don't mind them. But I mean it when I say as long as they're "done well."

For example, here's how NOT to approach a more "dynamic" pairing (no matter what kind of pairing it may be):

Player One joins an RP and designs a character. Player 2 comes along and joins as well, and they design a character that Player One really likes. Player One initiates character interactions IC while totally ignoring and/or disrespecting their own CS, including personality and bio, to try and re-tailor their character on the fly to be more attractive to Player Two's character in the hopes that a romance will start.

Don't. Do. This.

If a romance is going to happen, let it happen naturally. If your character isn't compatible from the start, don't force it.

If it's a pre-planned pairing, at least give it enough thought and effort that it feels genuine and earned.

For example, let's say two players agree on a power imbalance pairing like a master-servant in medieval times. Who falls in love first? And why? If those two questions don't have an obvious and believable answer, bruh. For instance, let's say a female servant falls in love first with her master who's an overbearing and arrogant prick. Why did she fall in love? What does she see in him that makes her think "I love this man?"

Did she sneak a peak during the times he wants to be "alone" and caught him crying at a small shrine in his room to his parents who perished during a plague a number of years ago? Does she hear him confessing to them about how he knows he's being a douche but he can't seem to break free of his created persona since it works so well in keeping him safe and in good standing as a rich noble, which thereby helps him maintain the legacy of his family, including his parents, and protecting their image which means a lot to him?

If so, THAT I can get behind. Seeing vulnerabilities and realizing that the douche is a façade and the real person behind it all is actually a kind hearted human being who knows he's wrong but doesn't see a way out is believable grounds for love to bloom.

But if the servant just loves him because he's the master and she's "attracted" to him with no greater or more believable explanation as to how love could blossom between the two, then I have to call it like I see it and say it's BS.

All in all, pairings are to personal taste. And I respect that.

But even so I would still prefer to see them done well, with obvious thought and effort put into them, rather than see them done just for the sake of throwing characters together for the sake of throwing them together.

Cheers!

~ GojiBean
100% agree

• i'm not into, "this person is a legal adult but they look and act suuuuper young." not only would this be a turn off for 100% of my characters, it feels really gross.
  • like many others, i don't love huge power imbalances like stalker x victim. honestly, no shade to the people writing these. i just personally cannot get invested in a ship with a character involved that is, to me! irredeemable.
  • when one or both characters are well into adulthood, but both seem to have a middle-school level grasp of relationships. yes, this can happen. yes, a person in their late 30s can blush and giggle and stammer. it's just not for me.

For me, I don't typically include romance in the RPs I write in, so pairings are just a way for me to start ideas off and maybe give anyone reading my interest check an idea about what types of plots I typically enjoy.

I'm someone who loves power imbalances in a pairing - slave x master, scientist x experiment, etc - but there are a few pairings that don't interest me. Teacher x student, good girl x bad boy and animal/creature x animal/creature are some examples. This is really just because my muse doesn't really seem to have any interesting ideas for plots including those pairings, so I wouldn't actively seek our someone wanting an RP based on those pairings because I'd doubt my ability to provide any decent ideas of my own to the collaborative effort. If a partner came to me with one of those pairings and a fleshed out plot that interested me, I'd happily go for it.

Anything with dealing with an angel x demon pairing. Master x slave, student x teacher.

Love triangles because they're a harem fantasy for whoever is mutually desired. It's also sad as fuck for the desperate duo begging for attention like dogs, when their crush clearly doesn't like them as much — considering they flip-flop between two options. I often view those characters as weak willed and a little bit pathetic, regardless of the genders involved. It just stinks of desperation and a lack of self respect.

I once had someone try a love triangle with me. I had no idea that was their plan in the beginning, but when my character and I learned what was happening, I immediately ended any romance & flirting in my posts. I had and have no interest in writing a character without self respect.

Love triangles because they're a harem fantasy for whoever is mutually desired. It's also sad as fuck for the desperate duo begging for attention like dogs, when their crush clearly doesn't like them as much — considering they flip-flop between two options. I often view those characters as weak willed and a little bit pathetic, regardless of the genders involved. It just stinks of desperation and a lack of self respect.

I once had someone try a love triangle with me. I had no idea that was their plan in the beginning, but when my character and I learned what was happening, I immediately ended any romance & flirting in my posts. I had and have no interest in writing a character without self respect.
Oh man, yeah. I forgot love triangles are a thing. I haven't encountered it, but I think what bugs me most about love triangles in general is that the vast majority of them can be solved by a basic level of selflessness and communication. Any love triangle that lasts is only because of a stupid amount of indecision, which is so needlessly cruel. It's basically Diet Cheating™.

Oh man, yeah. I forgot love triangles are a thing. I haven't encountered it, but I think what bugs me most about love triangles in general is that the vast majority of them can be solved by a basic level of selflessness and communication. Any love triangle that lasts is only because of a stupid amount of indecision, which is so needlessly cruel. It's basically Diet Cheating™.
I especially hate how there's so many of them in YA fiction too. Like, I'm a huge Hunger Games fan, but the series had so much going for it already that it really did not need the love triangle.

For me it depends entirely on what the intentions of the RP and story are. I don’t typically like to plan relationships ahead of time, because I prefer for them to develop naturally. However, I’m okay with planning if the intention is for the dynamic to carry the story, since that would require more detail.

As for particular types, again, for me it depends on the story. For example, I wouldn’t want to play anything like “Doctor x patient” as genuinely romantic or fluffy because I heavily dislike the power imbalance. But if we’re in acknowledgment that we won’t be sugarcoating it, and playing it as part of a horror/thriller story where the development of that relationship is part of the unnerving scare factor, then I’ll be fine with doing it. So, for me, it all depends on what our intentions are and how we plan to depict it.

I especially hate how there's so many of them in YA fiction too. Like, I'm a huge Hunger Games fan, but the series had so much going for it already that it really did not need the love triangle.
Oh OOF. I guess I dodged all that XD is it really common in YA books? I'm not a huge reader.
I can't think of a really significant love triangle off the top of my head - TV and movies are more my speed. Like I guess Phantom of the Opera was a love triangle, but again, that was resolved kinda quick when the phantom murdered a man in cold blood, lol. I feel like I've managed to slip past a lot of them.

Anything that involves animals or anthro animals. I may love dragons, but i do not love dragons. Any thing in which there are multiple characters in the word romance. Love triangles, poly. I already have enough trying to figure out how to rp romance, multiple people is too much

Oh OOF. I guess I dodged all that XD is it really common in YA books? I'm not a huge reader.
I can't think of a really significant love triangle off the top of my head - TV and movies are more my speed. Like I guess Phantom of the Opera was a love triangle, but again, that was resolved kinda quick when the phantom murdered a man in cold blood, lol. I feel like I've managed to slip past a lot of them.
Kate, Jack and Sawyer in Lost.

Her indecision between "good guy" Jack and "bad boy" Sawyer was cliche and cringe as fuck, and made her (an otherwise good character) into an unlikable bitch for playing with the guys' feelings. It added nothing important to the story, ruined her character and made Jack look like a complete simp. I will never understand creative decisions like that.

If I had to wager a guess, it's when a writer is desperate for drama and uses the triangle as a crutch — filler to pad runtime or page count, and give wish fulfillment to men or women depending on the harem owner's gender.

Edit

Stranger Things is teasing a love triangle for season 5, and had a triangle in season 2 IIRC.

while i can totally understand where people who hate love triangles are coming from and empathize with a lot of the reasons here, i am having a blast writing one with two other writers in which the fellas pining for the same lady develop feelings for each other as well. they're likely going to be a throuple. ✨

For me, I read a LOT of fanfics, and the one thing I can't stand is when the OC has some sort of mental disorder. I hate Mary Sue type characters too don't get me wrong, but I just don't like when a character comes with some baggage because they can't be interesting any other way. I prefer to watch a character go through a trauma and see how they grow or fall from it.

For me, I read a LOT of fanfics, and the one thing I can't stand is when the OC has some sort of mental disorder. I hate Mary Sue type characters too don't get me wrong, but I just don't like when a character comes with some baggage because they can't be interesting any other way. I prefer to watch a character go through a trauma and see how they grow or fall from it.
Mm, it sounds like the problem might be less "characters who have mental disorders" and more "characters who are defined by their mental disorders"?

while i can totally understand where people who hate love triangles are coming from and empathize with a lot of the reasons here, i am having a blast writing one with two other writers in which the fellas pining for the same lady develop feelings for each other as well. they're likely going to be a throuple. ✨

I always got the impression that what defined a love triangle versus a threesome was the “Person A has to choose between Person B or Person C.” As that’s where the drama/angst comes in.

I think if the ideas is all three individuals end up together it’s more of an accidental threesome. So there is still some drama/angst the conclusion is just different.

As from the books I have read which feature these particular plot points it’s always indicated somewhere in the blurb “hey this is going to be about three people falling in love and there shenanigans.” OR “hey this is going to be about having to chose between Option A or Option B.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back