Submission Guidelines

I've actually updated it a bit since then to include a basic Charm template (courtesy of Joseph) and guidelines for submitting artwork. It's posted at the top of the New Submissions forum.

-S

The core difference between something like EC<sup>1</sup> and the Wiki is of information management.

Yes, the EC forums rocked, and that's why we've made the leap, but the reason EC survived, even in Yoshi's absense, was the management of the info (hence me plugging away on management functions).

The Wiki is organic. It Grows from the bottom up, and, lets face it, unless you know what you're looking for, you ain't finding Squat.

EC was planned top-down. There were many people who suffered many forumites abuse merely for the charms, artifacts, etc. This was because they could find stuff easily.

EC actually inspired me to start looking into CMSs. It was well-planned, and effective. We do need to act quickly, but this doesn't need to be a reaction, but could be a rational, ordered response. After all, the reason the EC forums were still attracting people was the spirit of cynical (insulting) rationalism that was to be found there.

People knew their stuff, it was well designed, and you could find what you wanted.

The Wiki is about your space. EC was about enforced public boundaries that did not bow to any man.

Just like the Celestial Hierarchy. :)

Stillborn said:
It goes without saying that anything you submit should be your own creation. Do not plagiarize. If your submission is inspired by someone else's work, give credit where credit is due. Similarly, do not violate White Wolf's copyright on the Exalted material. We do not wish to invoke the wrath of corporate lawyers. WW's regulations on the matter can be found <a href=â€

ashenphoenix said:
Does Yoshi have copyright on works submitted?
I believe the original authors retain copyright, but I'm no lawyer.

ashenphoenix said:
Is he going to care if we snavel them?
I doubt it. I pretty much consider the site abandoned, and therefore fair game for salvage.

-S

Nope.  We did not have to surrender any rights to Yoshi with our submissions.  Yoshi has no ownership of our work.

Were there any other notable sites on RPGCompendium that may try to access their backup data?

We could try to ask them nicely to send us the source, and certain database geeks may be able rip the entries out into a semi-legible form *coughs* *raises hand*

ashenphoenix said:
What happens if in the event that we do manage to get access to the old EC database, or someone reposts their charms from there?
Does Yoshi have copyright on works submitted?

Is he going to care if we snavel them?
He has no exclusive rights to anything submitted to his site in particular.  As such, it does not matter if he would care or not (although I suspect he would NOT care anyway , given his lack of care for the site at the present).

It would be nice if the submissions for the artifacts could include the calcualtions used to determine the value of the artifact liek in Sorcer and Savant so that Storytellers who decide to use newly created artifacts in their games can modify the calculations based on their game.  

So i would add to artifacts the following

Power

Usefulness

Game Impact

Script Immunity

Drawback

psychoph said:
It would be nice if the submissions for the artifacts could include the calcualtions used to determine the value of the artifact liek in Sorcer and Savant so that Storytellers who decide to use newly created artifacts in their games can modify the calculations based on their game.  
So i would add to artifacts the following

Power

Usefulness

Game Impact

Script Immunity

Drawback
Downside to that being that many individuals do not use or enjoy those particular rules, which makes me wary of the idea of forcing submissions to abide by them.  It would be like forcing submissions to include power combat data.

I can see that as true.  I would then suggest it be optional content and if included that it all be included so as to be more useful.

Joseph said:
It would be like forcing submissions to include power combat data.
Not a hugely bad proposition, IMO.

I don't use power combat, but I'd try to include it on my submissions.

If people don't include it, then maybe someone else could add it?

ashenphoenix said:
The thing is, we're talking about homebrewed stuff. There is no standard process to convert an "original rules" weapon into a PC weapon. It would really have to be the responsibility of the creator.

-S

Stillborn said:
ashenphoenix said:
The thing is, we're talking about homebrewed stuff. There is no standard process to convert an "original rules" weapon into a PC weapon. It would really have to be the responsibility of the creator.
I say give them the choice, to do or not to do.  If someone really wants to use someone else's artifact, but it's not in the fighting system they want to use it in, then they can either alter it themselves, or talk to the original creator about doing so.  It's just a bit of chatting--with all the posting that goes on here, talking to someone through a PM about some mechanics shouldn't be a burden.

Well... it might be easy to keep it in shape if we work at its core elements and keep it shipshape, yes?

Perhaps a submission faq like what you originally did for the EC might be called for, Gearbox.

Stillborn said:
On the "lost content of the EC" front: What ever happened to those PDFs of homebrew submissions that Silesia made and hosted on his "Wayfarer's Retreat" site long ago?
Does anyone still have copies?
Got (in order of size):

• Monsters And Creatures
    Circles of Power
    Avengers - May not be available pending Author's consideration.
    Items of Wonder
    The Great Curse
    Merits and Flaws

How do you want them? It's ~9MB.

Stillborn said:
You've been to Australia!  You know it exists!
Well, it existed the last time I went there... but the EC existed then too!

Australia might have vanished entirely since then.
I refuse to have to prove that Australia still exists. If it doesn't then it's not going to be a target for terrorists.

Ignore me, I am merely a disembodied entity posting directly into this ICT you call the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back